Smart TV vs HTPC

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
I've been looking for a forum like this one that knows about htpc's and the like. I haven't found an answer to my question so I'll post it here:

Hello all,

I've been recently looking into watching tv on your pc. When I discovered Fios had the "Fios tv anywhere" app for ios and android I tried it out and it was okay but you have to be connected to the Fios home network to really get the best out if it. I'm staying in a residence hall at my university for the summer and I'm not too pleased with the channel lineup they provide. I was going to just start my own subscription but my University uses Cox as a service provider for all of the residence halls so I couldn't just get my room set up differently. The channel that I really want to view is TeenNick. I found out about CableCards and to my understanding I can have a channel subscription on the card without a set top box correct? Okay so now I'm wondering if an HTPC with a TV Tuner and CableCard setup or a Smart TV with CableCard Slot or with a TV Tuner (those exist right? I think I saw one before) would be better for this. I know the answer depends on what the user wants so....

I typically like to leave the TV on just about all day when I am at home. Now that I'm in my dorm room I'm typically out and about a good chunk of the day (due to attending class) but I do like to sleep with the tv on. I currently just use my laptop and hdmi cable to my tv and will watch whatever I can find online. I set my computer to go to sleep at a certain hour and then my tv will automatically turn off after a period of inactivity. So I suppose my choice will depend on whether or not a Smart TV with a cablecard/TV Tuner or a HTPC with TV Tuner and CableCard would be more suited to leave running for long periods of time. I'm not worried about doing much on the computer other than watching tv because I wouldn't want it to slow down due to me using it for other features as well. I believe the most I would do with either device outside of tv is record shows and possibly use dvr features like pausing and rewinding live tv. So which one is more suitable? And also would I be limited to using just Cox at my school since the school is wired for Cox or can I use any service provider available in my area? I was asking because I have a feeling that I have to have a coax cable connected to the cablecard so the other end would go into the coax outlet which is set for Cox right now. There isn't a STB (if there is it isn't provided to us. Might be located in a central office or something).

May I also add that once I get a setup going, I'd plan on using it in the apartment I get with my fiancee (soon-to-be wife) after we get married. She isn't very tech-savvy but she can do basic computing (navigate through MS Office, utilize social networking sites, make slide-shows, and other low-level user tasks). So if the setup I end up going with is on the tech-savvy side, then I'm sure she could learn how to navigate through the UI.

Last edited:

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
What makes you think I am spam? And I don't know yet. I was really wondering if one exists. I do believe I saw tv's with tuners(was reading specs) but they wouldn't have cablecard slots as well would they?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
What makes you think I am spam?

Just because you posted this in multiple places.

And I don't know yet. I was really wondering if one exists. I do believe I saw tv's with tuners(was reading specs) but they wouldn't have cablecard slots as well would they?

I am sure one exists, but most mainstream models don't which means the Smart TV option isn't really an option.

Almost every TV has a tuner in it, but that is an OTA tuner- aka for picking up broadcasted TV channels off of an antenna. This is unencrypted channels that are freely available (think NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.).

The purpose of a cablecard (and a cable box), is that the cable signal is often encrypted so it needs one of these devices to access the channels.

Sometimes the built-in TV tuner will take a shot a decrypting those channels without the blessing from the cable company, but the results are hit and miss. For example my Samsung TV can get decrypt about 30 digital cable channels from my provider with its built in tuner (most of them suck), but my Panasonics can't get crap. There is no way to buy a certain TV and know "this thing will decrypt Teennick on my local cable."

Honestly though, I think you are in luck. It sounds like you are dealing with an old-school unencrypted analogue system.

With the no STB requirement any decent modern TV should work. Without the encrypted channels, I think you don't need to worry about cablecards and the like. I could be wrong, but I bet that is the case.

The downside is that means you are stuck with what they provide- aka no other cable provider. Usually on those legacy installs that is the deal. So if Cox doesn't have the channel you want you are SOL (unless you want to buy the rents a slingbox).

The only reason to bring a HTPC into the mix is if you want DVR functionality. If that is the case then it can be done economically if you truly don't have to mess with cablecards.

Step one is get a decent modern TV (Smart TV or not) hook it up and see what it tunes in. At that point if you want DVR functionality you will know what to buy so then we can dig deeper.

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
Just because you posted this in multiple places.
Yeah and this is the last place I posted this I believe. Yet this is the first place I receive a response. Seeing the topic of these forums that isn't much of a surprise as I initially had though.
I am sure one exists, but most mainstream models don't which means the Smart TV option isn't really an option.

Almost every TV has a tuner in it, but that is an OTA tuner- aka for picking up broadcasted TV channels off of an antenna. This is unencrypted channels that are freely available (think NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.).

The purpose of a cablecard (and a cable box), is that the cable signal is often encrypted so it needs one of these devices to access the channels.

Sometimes the built-in TV tuner will take a shot a decrypting those channels without the blessing from the cable company, but the results are hit and miss. For example my Samsung TV can get decrypt about 30 digital cable channels from my provider with its built in tuner (most of them suck), but my Panasonics can't get crap. There is no way to buy a certain TV and know "this thing will decrypt Teennick on my local cable."
After some more digging I learned that TVs aren't being produced with the cablecard slots anymore. The one's that have it aren't compatible with the SDV technology that the cable card companies use nowadays right?

Honestly though, I think you are in luck. It sounds like you are dealing with an old-school unencrypted analogue system.

With the no STB requirement any decent modern TV should work. Without the encrypted channels, I think you don't need to worry about cablecards and the like. I could be wrong, but I bet that is the case.

The downside is that means you are stuck with what they provide- aka no other cable provider. Usually on those legacy installs that is the deal. So if Cox doesn't have the channel you want you are SOL (unless you want to buy the rents a slingbox).

The only reason to bring a HTPC into the mix is if you want DVR functionality. If that is the case then it can be done economically if you truly don't have to mess with cablecards.

Step one is get a decent modern TV (Smart TV or not) hook it up and see what it tunes in. At that point if you want DVR functionality you will know what to buy so then we can dig deeper.
Well if I understand what you've said correctly, then I've already completed Step one. I have an hdtv (an iSymphony tv with an iPod dock). I just connect a coax cable to the wall and the other end into the tv and it picks up all the stations listed on the school's channel lineup after I ran the auto program feature. Here is the list:

Analog Channels

2 WTVZ - WB
3 WTKR - CBS Local
4 WSKY TV
5 WHRO TV - PBS
6 WUND - UNC TV
7 WGNT - CW WGNT - CW
8 CNN - CNN News
9 Life - Lifetime
10 WAVY - NBC Local
11 WCOX WCOX
12 ESPN ESPN
13 WVEC - ABC Local
17 Cartoon Network
18 USA - USA Network
19 FAM - Family Channel
20 WHRE - Religious Channel
21 WVBT Ch. 43 (Fox)
22 MTV - Music Television
23 MSNBC - MSNBC News
24 TWC - Weather Channel
25 CNBC - Money
26 CNN-Headline
27 HGTV - Home & Garden Television
28 A&E - Arts & Entertainment
29 NICK - Nickelodeon
30 TLC - Learning Channel
31 Discovery - Discovery Channel
32 Comedy - Comedy Central
33 CMT 0 Country Music Television
34 Versus TV
35 Comcast SportsNet
36 BET -Black Entertainment Television
37 TV Land
38 Disney Channel
39 MASN
40 Syfy Channel
41 E! Entertainment
42 WTBS Superstation
43 ANPL - Animal Planet
44 FX
45 WGN
46 Access Government
47 Access Educational
48 Access Educational
49 ION WPXV-TV
50 QVC
51 C-SPAN
52 TV Guide Network
53 Home Shopping Network
54 Univision
55 AMC - American Movie Classics
56 Spike TV
57 TRU TV
58 ODU Game
59 History Channel
60 ESPN2
61 Bravo
62 Travel Channel
63 Speed Channel
64 Fox News Channel
65 ODU Movie Channel
66 TNT
67 VH1
68 Food Network
70 WODU

Digital Channels

80.1 WTVZ My Network
80.2 WTKR - CBS Local HD
81.1 WSKY HD
81.2 WSKY HD CW
82.1 WAVY - NBC Local HD
82.2 WVEC - ABC Local HD
83.1 WBVT - FOX HD
83.2 WHRO - PBS HD
84.1 WPXV HD ION
84.2 Bio HD
85.1 CBS College Sports HD
85.2 Tennis HD
86.1 ESPN HD
86.2 ESPN 2 HD
87.1 ESPNU HD
87.2 MASN HD
88.1 Fox Soccer HD
88.2 NBA TV HD
89.1 NFL Network HD
89.2 NHL Network HD
90.1 Speed HD
91.1 Bio
91.2 Bloomberg TV
91.3 CBS College Sports
91.4 CNN International
91.5 DIY
91.6 ESPN Classic
91.7 ESPNews
91.8 ODU Game HD
92.1 ESPNU
92.2 FitTV
92.3 Fox Business Network
92.4 Fox Soccer Channel
92.5 Fuel TV
92.6 G4 TechTV
92.7 Gol TV (Not Available in HRD to Date)
93.1 Golf Channel
93.2 History International
93.3 NFL Network HD
93.4 NASA TV
93.5 NBA TV
93.6 NFL Network
93.7 NFL Red Zone
94.1 NHL Network
94.2 Outdoor Channel
94.3 Tennis Channel
94.4 The Pentagon Channel
100.1 NBC Sports HD
100.2 Cox HD
101.1 TBS HD
101.2 Golf HD
102.1 CNBC HD
102.2 MSNBC HD
103.1 Fox Business HD
103.2 Fox News HD
104.1 CNN HD
104.2 Weather HD
105.1 OWN HD
105.2 Tru TV HD
106.1 USA HD
106.2 Bravo HD
107.1 Syfy HD
107.2 AMC HD
108.1 Comedy Central HD
108.2 Velocity HD
109.1 Cartoon Network HD
109.2 Nickelodeon HD
110.1 National Geographic HD
110.2 Animal Planet HD
111.1 ABC Family HD
111.2 Disney Channel HD
112.1 Lifetime HD
112.2 BET HD
113.1 A&E HD
113.2 E! HD
114.1 Biography HD
114.2 HGTV HD
115.1 Discovery HD
115.2 History HD
116.1 Travel HD
117.1 Spike HD
117.2 FX HD
118.1 VH1 HD
118.2 MTV HD
119.1 CMT HD
119.2 Food Network HD

If I am limited to Cox then that is okay because they do have the TeenNick station. My school seems to have a custom starter-type package though because they broadcast their own channels in that line-up I quoted above (all of the ones that say contain 'ODU'). But with a cablecard I can choose my own package correct?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
After some more digging I learned that TVs aren't being produced with the cablecard slots anymore. The one's that have it aren't compatible with the SDV technology that the cable card companies use nowadays right?

Yeah, nowadays people just expect to have a cable box to get access to digital cable.

But with a cablecard I can choose my own package correct?

Potentially with a cable card (or STB) you could subscribe to Cox's larger channel offerings, but that depends on the setup. Honestly I bet you can't given how its in a dorm.

But seeing as how all those channels are unencrypted, you could easily use something like a HDHomerun with a HTPC to create your own DVR if that is what you want.

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
Potentially with a cable card (or STB) you could subscribe to Cox's larger channel offerings, but that depends on the setup. Honestly I bet you can't given how its in a dorm.

But seeing as how all those channels are unencrypted, you could easily use something like a HDHomerun with a HTPC to create your own DVR if that is what you want.
You are saying I can't because usually plugging the cable into the wall just gets people the local channels but instead I get a whole channel package?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
You are saying I can't because usually plugging the cable into the wall just gets people the local channels but instead I get a whole channel package?

Yeah. It means that they have some deal with Cox. Students get unencrypted channels at a cheaper volume cost, Cox gets exclusive right-of-way.

You should double check but that is what usually happens. It is the same way in some condos and apartment buildings.

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
Yeah. It means that they have some deal with Cox. Students get unencrypted channels at a cheaper volume cost, Cox gets exclusive right-of-way.

You should double check but that is what usually happens. It is the same way in some condos and apartment buildings.
I'll have to find out but if that IS the case then would I need a STB to get any extra channels? It would provide a way for Cox to turn on the channels specifically for me.

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
Well I called Cox and they said I need to talk to my technology dept (which I had done before but they didn't know the answer). Cox said I would need to speak to the Cox Rep for my school if the technology dept. didn't know the answer. Called the tech dept. and they said they don't offer any premium services that you can pay for. Now I'm stuck with this piece-o-crap channel line-up. :mad: Wish there was another way.

lamentofking

May 26, 2014
Try watching whatever it is you want to see online.
I've tried. All the TeenNick streams seem to be dead. That was the foundation for why I even started looking into htpcs in the first place because I couldn't find anything online.