Smart TV kind of slow

Fix500

Nov 29, 2016
I just bought a 60 inch LG Smart TV 60UH6035, the first HD set I've owned. It connects to my network via Ethernet cable and I get internet download rates of 3.5 mbps reliably. It plays Netflix and Youtube nicely. But pulling up web pages is slower than my other computers which share the same internet connection. For example, playing a video on a web page will take 5+ seconds to transition to full screen mode and 10+ seconds just to load the video before it starts playing. None of my computers have this problem on the same network. The remote is also rather laggy when using the mouse. If I push the mouse arrow sometimes it responds and sometimes the response is delayed by several seconds. Makes it very difficult to place the mouse on the little thing you need to click; in some cases almost impossible. There is an app that you can load on your android tablet that works thru the wifi and allows it to be used as a touch pad for the mouse. The app is not much better. When I try to move the mouse slowly, it becomes jerky or laggy again making it impossible to position the mouse accurately. I’ve tried unplugging the set and restarting it which sometimes helps but really not enough to solve the problem.
Did I just buy the wrong smart TV or is this typical of how they work?
I have a little while to return it but may not bother unless I can buy one that won’t have this problem.
I would appreciate some guidance on this.

crof2003

Nov 13, 2016
I'm not at all an expert so hopefully someone else smarter than me comes along, but smart TVs aren't at all powerful like a computer. They can run their special apps that are made specifically for them very well, but most web pages are made for PCs out perhaps phones. It's much like if you view a desktop version of a website on your phone, it's not made for the phone and often acts sluggish. I wouldn't expect a normal page to load or scroll well using the smart tv.

To me the mouse moving erratically sounds like a symptom of the same thing - slower processor that isn't made for moving a mouse pointer in real time.

I'd suggest casting/streaming/using HDMI to connect a computer or phone to the tv to display web pages on the tv instead.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001

Fix500

Nov 29, 2016
Thanks crof2003 and Kartajan for your help with this. This is the information I was looking for. Thanks again!

Last edited: