Small town Kansas Gestapo raids newspaper offices, and reporters homes.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm not familiar with Kansas criminal procedure-was the DA/County Attorney involved in the process of issuing the warrant?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Collect full pay and benefits until you go to work at another department?
Especially in Kansas. My parents had to deal with a shit head police chief in their small town who left his job in Wichita after using excessive force on a woman.

So of course he was hired as a police chief in a town 10 miles away.

Mar 11, 2004
Hilarious. The judge who authorized the warrant has history of DUI arrests herself.

Hahahaha, looks like yep the dumbfucks are gonna streisand themselves.

All I can say is they must treat DUI a whole lot different in Kansas than they do here-at least when a prosecutor is the defendant (the judge was a prosecutor at the time of both of her cases). And somehow one of her DUI cases no longer exists in the state system. Smells just a tad bit rancid to me.

Kansas has turned DUI diversions into a full on revenue stream that might literally be integral to funding local justice systems. Granted I'm not sure that's terribly unique, hell its probably one of the tentpoles for building a law firm at this point.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This case also highlights the problem of cops who are under investigation/fired or quit before they are fired for misconduct moving around to small jurisdictions and continuing to be shitty cops.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Especially in Kansas. My parents had to deal with a shit head police chief in their small town who left his job in Wichita after using excessive force on a woman.

So of course he was hired as a police chief in a town 10 miles away.

I've mentioned this before. Many police departments drop any and all ongoing investigations or disciplinary procedures against a cop, if the cop resigns. That means you can be a grade A thug of a cop, and after you get caught, just resign. And work in a police department 10 miles away, as in your example.

I'm very pro law enforcement, but this needs to change. Just because I support the law enforcement does not mean I support bad cops. Disciplinary actions against bad cops MUST be followed through whether they resign or not. They either get cleared of all charges or get disciplinary marks on their permanent work record, and fired if the transgression warrants it. Also, all police departments need to have working body cams, and turning them off while working should be grounds for disciplinary actions as well.

Reactions: Drach
Mar 11, 2004
I've mentioned this before. Many police departments drop any and all ongoing investigations or disciplinary procedures against a cop, if the cop resigns. That means you can be a grade A thug of a cop, and after you get caught, just resign. And work in a police department 10 miles away, as in your example.

I'm very pro law enforcement, but this needs to change. Just because I support the law enforcement does not mean I support bad cops. Disciplinary actions against bad cops MUST be followed through whether they resign or not. They either get cleared of all charges or get disciplinary marks on their permanent work record, and fired if the transgression warrants it. Also, all police departments need to have working body cams, and turning them off while working should be grounds for disciplinary actions as well.

What's sad is that you can clearly see that the bad apples have spoiled the whole bunch but yet you still cannot accept it. Its because of people like you continuing to go "well sure there's bad ones but..." that they keep getting away with the behavior you're calling out there.

Also, you calling it law enforcement shows what a sham it is. Its policing and even then that's quite a sham as its very selective policing.

The more police officers I know, the less I support police. They are in most jurisdictions effectively an organized gang or crime syndicate, with strong cult-like behaviors.

Reactions: Meghan54

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

The out of control cop my parents had to deal with was actually fired by the Wichita police department for misconduct. He was still able to land at least 2 more jobs as an officer after he was fired.

Cops who are fired or in your example but are later found to have committed misconduct need to have their ability act as a police officer removed and that removal entered in a national database.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Horrible result but understandable action. Remember the background-it's hard to fire a bad cop, just about anywhere. The law, as presently constructed, grants cops an extremely large range of legally tolerable conduct. Plus the officer being investigated is almost certainly being aggressively represented by counsel for free (paid for by the union) with the very real possibility of the city being liable if they lose. In the meantime in many cases the suspensions are with pay and benefits. If the cop resigns and gives up all rights of rehire in exchange for closing the investigation, the initial city gets rid of the bad apple immediately and is financially much better off.

It's far easier and quicker to get rid of a bad lawyer, teacher or doctor than a bad cop, unfortunately. Just one more part of the system that needs to be fixed.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
What's sad is that you can clearly see that the bad apples have spoiled the whole bunch but yet you still cannot accept it. Its because of people like you continuing to go "well sure there's bad ones but..." that they keep getting away with the behavior you're calling out there.

Also, you calling it law enforcement shows what a sham it is. Its policing and even then that's quite a sham as its very selective policing.

The more police officers I know, the less I support police. They are in most jurisdictions effectively an organized gang or crime syndicate, with strong cult-like behaviors.

I've met some great cops who care about their jobs. And who were wonderful in their communities. Not all LEO's are bad.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I've met some great cops who care about their jobs. And who were wonderful in their communities. Not all LEO's are bad.
as the phrase goes, a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

i don't believe all LEOs are bad. but the system does not hold bad ones accountable, and makes it difficult for good ones to thrive. so at best, good cops tolerate shitty cops. shitty cops get to be shitty and not be held accountable. resulting in a system that is abusive to everyone, but especially POC

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
The 98 year old co-owner who died a day after the raid gives the police a mouthful. (@ 2:30) Calls the chief an asshole.

Nov 17, 2019
Just the facts ....

Attorney: Marion police downloaded, kept copy of raided Kansas newspaper's computers

www.kshb.com.ico
KSHB Kansas City|19 hours ago
During the raid on Marion County Record, law enforcement copied computers to a hard drive and kept the data, according to Bernie Rhodes, attorney for the newspaper.

Sheriff's office agrees to destroy evidence from newspaper raid

www.iolaregister.com.ico
Iola Register|2 hours ago
The Marion County Sheriff's Office agreed Thursday to destroy digital files it copied from computers seized during the raid on the Marion County Record. Bernie Rhodes, an attorney for the newspaper, raised

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah...sure they will...after they've gone through EVERYTHING and harvested anything they can use or that might be harmful to them or their friends.

Reactions: soulcougher73
Mar 11, 2004

You've only met them superficially, and that doesn't mean anything. There's a multitude of serial killers that people said the same about. And there's so so so so many serial rapists/abusers that were considered pillars of the community or of such high moral standing that it actually enabled their bad behavior. And "care about their jobs" there's lots of shitty cops that claimed they were doing horrible shitty things because they cared about their community and were doing so to protect it. Hell that's what that "try that in a small town" song is about, and that's also exactly what racists used as justification for lynchings and other bullshit.

You can keep living in blissful ignorance if you want, but you acting like you can't figure out why the bad cops are able to just keep getting away with it is just willful stupidity on your part. Its because the "good cops" cover for them and enable it. Because if they were to hold the bad ones responsible it would reveal that the good ones were partaking in the same shit. They just were smart enough to be discrete about it.

I also can guarantee you that the "good" cops you know aren't nearly as good as you think. If people knew how prevalent the shitty behavior is in policing, you would absolutely not consider there to be "good" cops or that its just some bad apples. Even bad cops aren't bad all the time. You wouldn't know the difference based on their public personalities.