Small town Kansas Gestapo raids newspaper offices, and reporters homes.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
@darkswordsman17

One of my previous post in this thread talked about police accountability. I'm all for better accountability. I mention the lack of action against a cop, should a cop being investigated resigns. I mention that police body cameras need to be on, or else it warrants a reprimand.

I've had plenty of experiences with police. I used to work in an environment that is prone to police calls. Was every interaction good? No. There was plenty of times I was just as ticked off at the cops attitude as I was at some perps. But there were also pleasant interactions.

Having left that job that dealt with the public and had a lot of calls to the cops, I once saw one of the cops I dealt with a few years later, and he came over to ask how I was doing and was very pleasant. Did he have to do that? No. If he was such as shitty person, he could have just ignored me and pretended he didn't even remember me, or see me, and kept on going.

I know there are some bad cops. But what I'm saying is, there are also good cops. Even if you think there are many bad cops, statistically, there has to be good cops. To think otherwise veers into the same wackjob conspiracy theories that QAnon subscribes to. And if true, would make the world a very sad place to live.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
@darkswordsman17

One of my previous post in this thread talked about police accountability. I'm all for better accountability. I mention the lack of action against a cop, should a cop being investigated resigns. I mention that police body cameras need to be on, or else it warrants a reprimand.

I've had plenty of experiences with police. I used to work in an environment that is prone to police calls. Was every interaction good? No. There was plenty of times I was just as ticked off at the cops attitude as I was at some perps. But there were also pleasant interactions.

Having left that job that dealt with the public and had a lot of calls to the cops, I once saw one of the cops I dealt with a few years later, and he came over to ask how I was doing and was very pleasant. Did he have to do that? No. If he was such as shitty person, he could have just ignored me and pretended he didn't even remember me, or see me, and kept on going.

I know there are some bad cops. But what I'm saying is, there are also good cops. Even if you think there are many bad cops, statistically, there has to be good cops. To think otherwise veers into the same wackjob conspiracy theories that QAnon subscribes to. And if true, would make the world a very sad place to live.

It's funny to me (and not in a "ha-ha" way) that cops always try to turn one criminal against another...but they HATE cops who turn against one of them for doing bad/illegal shit. That blue wall is nearly impenetrable.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
if the good ones don’t turn in the bad ones, then they are also bad for allowing and tolerating it. that seems to be the biggest issue imo

If the good ones exist, they will gang up on the bad cop and protect the good cop who reports him. The opposite happens every. single. time. A good cop can either report the bad cop, and face the harassment, intimidation, and career suicide that comes with that, or they can keep quiet...in which case they are not a good cop.

Reactions: Pohemi and Meghan54

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
If they were good cops, they would not turn a blind eye toward the corrupt cops. And yes, I realize this is an uphill battle for them, as the problem is systemic in the upper ranks.
This is the unfortunate problem. You need not just 1 good cop, but a whole bunch of them, in positions of power, to get rid of the bad ones. But the system is setup in such a way that the bad ones have and retain power.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I absolutely agree there is a criminal protectionist attitude within the FOP. Increasing accountability is the first step in making sure bad apples don't ruin the batch.

Police body cams should NEVER be turned off except during break times, or while performing something like routine desk work where they are not actively dealing with a detained person. If they are inside the station, if they're dealing with a detained person, they need to have that on. No more mysterious body cams not working issues. They are public servants. They don't work for some private organization. They lose their right to any supposed privacy when they're actively on the job. We are their employers.

The other huge issue is all investigations into wrongdoings by a police officer must be investigated fully. It should not stop simply because the officer resigned. This brings further accountability to police officers in that, they must always answer for bad behavior.

Those two actions alone will be a huge step forward in regaining public trust into police officers.

Reactions: soulcougher73

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
It is systemic in that it goes beyond those that wear a uniform. Locally, a cop climbs on top of a man that has his hands handcuffed behind him to beat him in the face with his fists. There were six cops on the scene, and bodycam footage of this.

He does get fired, and charged. Goes to trial, and a judge views all the footage, and dismisses the charges, saying that he should have never been charged in the first place.

The victim's crime. He was drunk,

The only article I could find is behind a paywall, but if your googlefu skills are good, here it is...

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It is systemic in that it goes beyond those that wear a uniform. Locally, a cop climbs on top of a man that has his hands handcuffed behind him to beat him in the face with his fists. There were six cops on the scene, and bodycam footage of this.

He does get fired, and charged. Goes to trial, and a judge views all the footage, and dismisses the charges, saying that he should have never been charged in the first place.

The victim's crime. He was drunk,

The only article I could find is behind a paywall, but if your googlefu skills are good, here it is...

Archived link.

Reactions: MtnMan
Nov 17, 2019
Progress ...

The police chief who led a raid of a small Kansas newspaper has been suspended

www.msn.com.ico
WPTZ Plattsburgh-Burlington|35 minutes ago
The police chief who led a highly criticized raid of a small Kansas newspaper has been suspended, the mayor confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday. Marion Mayor Dave Mayfield in a text said he ...

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
A step in the right direction, but that police chief was suspended with pay. Unless he gets fired, and this is on his permanent work record, it won't amount to crap.

There needs to be criminal charges filed too.

Reactions: Pohemi and MtnMan

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
What about the rest of the Goon Squad?

Kansas police chief who led raid on small weekly newspaper has resigned, official says

The police chief who led an August raid on a small weekly newspaper in central Kansas has resigned, days after he was suspended from his post.

I've mentioned this before, but this is one of the most corrupt part of law enforcement protectionism.

In most districts, any investigation into police misdeeds stops once the offending officer resigns. The offending police officer now moves a couple of districts over, and applies to be a police officer there. With a clean record. This should not happen.

Nov 17, 2019
Follow up about the papers being returned:

And the original story:

Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
"In its online article, the newspaper reported that investigators tracked Choate down using surveillance footage. He owns the restaurant Kate's Place in the nearby town of Ridgway.

Choate reportedly admitted he took the newspapers because of the front-page story. The newspaper reported that it was not disclosing Choate's relationship to the sexual assault case and that the theft was not tied to the defendants in that case, their families or the local police department."

Seems they're saying not a lot of much about anything.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
"In its online article, the newspaper reported that investigators tracked Choate down using surveillance footage. He owns the restaurant Kate's Place in the nearby town of Ridgway.

Choate reportedly admitted he took the newspapers because of the front-page story. The newspaper reported that it was not disclosing Choate's relationship to the sexual assault case and that the theft was not tied to the defendants in that case, their families or the local police department."

Seems they're saying not a lot of much about anything.
He’s likely related to the victim. His age would be about right to be her father. But, disclosing that would identify the rape victim, which news agencies generally don’t do.

Notice they said he wasn’t related to the defendants or police, but left it at that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He’s likely related to the victim. His age would be about right to be her father. But, disclosing that would identify the rape victim, which news agencies generally don’t do.

Notice they said he wasn’t related to the defendants or police, but left it at that.
Interesting interesting! I wonder if NY synagogue tunnel was dug in an effort to get to the bottom of this.