Small tablets taking over from smartphones

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
Anyone else finding themselves taking their small tablet with them wherever physically possible and leaving the smartphone for the not-so-smart stuff?

I'll grab the Nexus 7 whenever unless it's really not practical. I still appreciate having a Nexus 4 as well, I'm not saying I'm ready to go back to dumbphones but I'm glad I didn't spend mega bucks on it.

Anyone looking to spend less on phones because of a small form factor tablet?

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
No, I don't take my 7 inch tablet when I go out shopping, to the movies, hanging out at a friend's house, and such. I just take what fits in my pocket, my phone.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Nope. Phone is a requirement.

In fact, I think it's the opposite, at least for me...probably others. Pushing the envelope of phone size is important to me because it's my primary device. Reducing the size of tablets is not particularly important to me because it's not my primary device and reducing the size to something smaller but equally prohibitive does not meet my needs.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
I make the GF lug around the iPad mini when we are out and about shopping for house stuff. We brought it along to a nursery. It was really helpful then as we could look up a tree to see what it will look like fully grown. If we are doing actual research on products while we are out at stores the bigger screen is much easier for both of us to look at.

Other than that I never bring out the iPad mini. On long road trips it comes along with us and is the dedicated Pandora player. I've noticed that if you stream pandora on an ipad vs. a smartphone it plays a lot less ads.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I don't take the N7 out much. Sometimes I do if I have a bag with me and have time to read something particular but it is not replacing my phone at all.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
N4 goes with me everywhere, N7 is the primary device while at home. Unless I'm going somewhere that I know I'll be sitting around for a while, the N7 doesn't leave my house.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have a Note II as my phone, but if I need significantly more screen real estate for some reason, I'll pack my TF101. The TF101 has become my laptop replacement at home.

If I was only going to have a single device it would definitely be the Note. Too bad more tablets don't have active digitizer support.

Yep, shame the only one is the 1280x800 Note 10.1. A late 1012 device with otherwise pretty good specs.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Tablets definitely need to just become full-on phones capable of independently using the same service plans as cellphones. It's a no-brainer.

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
Tablets definitely need to just become full-on phones capable of independently using the same service plans as cellphones. It's a no-brainer.

Totally agree. Are carriers even willing to dish out multiple sims for the same plan?