small space+passive cooling+single slot=???

cadjak

Dec 27, 2005
I have a shuttle SG31G2. It has a one PCI Express X 16 slot and one PCI Slot. My system is a Intel core 2 duo 3.0ghz (E8400), 4GB RAM, GeForce 7600GS, 128mg graphics card and a PCI Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro sound card, 64bit Win7 ultimate. I'd like to upgrade my graphics card. I don't play games, I do watch and edit a lot of video. My monitor runs at 1600x1200 and I'd like to connect to my 46", 120Hz Sony TV. What are my choices? It will have to be a single slot card because the sound card is right next to the PCI-E x16 slot. Passive cooling would be great, but if not possible the quietest fan solution possible. I need some help here!!!
Thanks

nafhan

Jul 20, 2002
This recent Anandtech article might help:
The Final Word on the Best Radeon HTPC Card
http://anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=669

It recommends the 5570, but says the 5450 is almost as good and less expensive. However, I don't see any of the 5570's as passively cooled. I'd probably get the card Scholzpdx recommended.

Jd007

Jan 1, 2010
GT240 is not passive, but it's as cool and quiet as an actively cooled single slot card can get. And it's not slouch in performance, essentially a 9800GT.

cadjak

Dec 27, 2005
I looked at the passive 4670s. The heat sink extends far enough over that it might as well be a double slot. What are thoughts about a 4830? I know that there are almost no passive cooled 4830 cards that can be considered single slot, but maybe I could throttle the fan down to a livable level, via Catalyst or Riva. Has anyone here found one where the fan doesn't sound like a jet engine?

By the way, many thanks for all the time you all put in to helping me out with this. In the most flattering terms, I don't know squat about graphics cards but I am fascinated by the hype and all the pretty pictures.

bradyapba

Nov 29, 2004
did you look at the link i sent? thats about the tiniest tinest heatsink i have ever seen, no way its 2 slots.

cadjak

Dec 27, 2005
did you look at the link i sent? thats about the tiniest tinest heatsink i have ever seen, no way its 2 slots.
Yes, I looked at the link and I looked at pix of the backside that has a large Zalman heatsink on it. Also, the reviews on the site commented on it overlapping the adjacent slot. Some said they didn't have a problem with a micro ATX board, but it was a tight squeeze. I wish there was a way to try to see if a card fits before buying it. There isn't. I assume that's why there are so many "like new" cards on Ebay.
DSC02146.jpg

Last edited:

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
I've always though it would be awesome to make a modification to your computer case to have a double slot video card sticking out the side of a case that only has room for a single slot. It would look like one of those engines that stick out of cars.