Small DC Motor Question

goobee

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
goobee.org
As a gag, I want to put a small motor on a lazy susan so that I can make it turn when someone reaches for a condiment.

I got someone put together a 6 volts dc rheostat controller to control the speed so that everything doesn't fly off but I'm having problems putting the motor part together properly. Obviously the 6 volt dc motor doesn't have enough torque to turn a lazy susan loaded with bottles so I need the motor to go through some gears.

Anyone have any idea if there's something already put together in a hobby shop I can buy to do this? Keep in mind, the overall package needs to be small or else the gag won't work. Quiet would be nice too but that's probably asking to much. Thanks.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
use a small motor and build up the gearing from a hobby shop. theres a hobbytown usa by my house that carries all sizes of plastic gears. look at the bottom of the lazy susan and see what size race is on it, then pick out gears to fit inside it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Remember Battlebots?

Google stuff for robot parts etc. They were quite a few etailers etc setup to cater to them (robot builders).

Everything you mention is used in one of those robots.

Fern

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
hmm...most hobby motor assemblies like that are probably 1:1, so you may have to fashion something up. i know my old K-nex sets had some pretty good sized block-and-tackle-ish devices you could use... or go to a hobby shop and buy some like 2 or 3 inch train wheels and some rubber bands. I dunno though, the lazy susan on my dad's dining room table is pretty hard to turn...

Mar 10, 2005
what if you put a rubber wheel on the motor, and mounted it under the lazy susan near the edge. the lower ratio should give it enough oomph

goobee

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
goobee.org
You would think So CA would have a lot of hobby shops but around me, they all closed up. I'll try the yellow pages.

Fern, that's a good idea, I hadn't watched Battlebots for a few years, I forgot all about that industry. Thanks.