Small business owners...what accounting software do you use?

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Title says it all...which software package do you use if you happen to use any for accounting purposes at all? I need something relatively cheap although cost isn't the major factor. I want something that does as much of the work as possible. I have basic accounting experience from high school (I've previously manually dealt with balance sheets, income statements, journals, ledgers, etc.)

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
I designed an Access database for my uncle. That is the best and easiest way to ensure you get the software setup you want.

I do not mess with packaged software... 9 times out of 10 it will not do a certian task, and more often than not it is a critical task that you need.

If you know your information requirements, it is rather easy to develop an Access database with forms and menus.

Just the opinion of an accountant! :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
OMG...Russ and I agreed on something!

*whips out thermometer *

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
We use Peachtree (it just suited our needs better than Quickbooks), and it was FREE a few weeks back from Staples.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

<< Yeah, but I was using it first.:)

Russ, NCNE
>>

I didn't know they had a Quickbooks "Abacus" Version.

:D

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks everyone. Are the extra features in the pro version really worth it? The time-tracking looks like the only thing I'd be interested in but the company I worked for in the summer produces a time-tracking software package that I really like. Needless to say, I'd probably never end up using that feature.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I use the multi-user functionality that is only provided in the Pro version.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
vi_edit,

Standard version has multi-user functionality.

GL,

I don't need the extras, but my customers who are in construction related fields love them.

Russ, NCNE

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Russ, did they just start adding that in the '00 and newer versions? I've got a couple small businesses around here that have the plain old '99 version and it doesn't have the multi-user ability.

Unclemo

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
Got Quickbooks Pro last Jan... still have yet to set it up and use it!!! I am behind:) I will be busy during tax season... I know that this year I don't have to worry about quarterly payments:(

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
vi_edit,

I'm running '99. File/Setup Users and Passwords. You have to be logged in as Admin, though.

Russ, NCNE

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd setup an Access database but that would take too much startup time. It's always nice to have a totally customized system. But at the very least it would take me several hours to get things the way I want and I've got university to deal with in addition to this side business. It's CDN$150 well spent in my books to just go with an off-the-shelf solution.