slow wired connect with new wireless router

Vad3r

Nov 25, 2000
Hey all,

I'm the friend others call when they buy something new. But haven't had this happen before. My buddy went out and bought a new wireless router. A D-Link DIR-645.

He was renting a dual modem/wireless router from his isp, and wanted more wireless coverage. So last weekend I went over and set it up.

Unplugged old, then plugged in the new. Used same SSID, and network key.

It went perfect, all wireless clients connected without issue. I did not test before and after, be he says all wireless clients are much quicker to respond than before.
However, I noticed his wired PC to the router was not right in terms of speed.

Going to youtube on his wired PC, videos would time out, play for 10 seconds, then just die.
Same test on his PS3 wireless, no problem. Videos played from start to finish without issue.

Went to a website to download a file, it started, then it just died. Said 6 days for a 20meg file.

Started a bittorrent that I know is throttling during the day, however, it did get to it's max speed within a few minutes for that time of day.

I'll go back to his place this weekend, and perhaps try different network cable. Although I can't see that being it, bittorrent is at max, but a http file download or youtube video will not complete.

I asked a lan guy at work, he suggested trying ipconfig /release and ipconfig /flushdns

Most times, it wireless thats slow, I've never seen the wired pc being the turtle on a new router :/

keithatpda

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for your concise post, EXACTLY my symptoms!!
My network guru says he has another case as well.
Crazy situation, did you happen to find the answer??
You would think DLink might offer some clues??

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Are the wired devices plugged into the new router or the modem/router combo?

keithatpda

Feb 4, 2013
wired connections plugged into the new router the router is connected to the modem and uses PPoe.
for info we tried various different computers using W7 and XP
all same result as described above.