slow booting problem

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
When ever i start my pc it stays on this screen for at least 17-20 minutes (sometimes even longer) . Please help how can i make it to boot fast with 1-2 minutes.
IMG-20190418-132030.jpg

my pc specs
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G( disable the VEGA 8 onboard graphics)
Asus Ex 320 Gaming motherboard
Gskill RAM 8GB(1 X 8)
Corsair VS 550
Zotac Geforce GTX 1050Ti
BIOS is latest.

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
When ever i start my pc it stays on this screen for at least 17-20 minutes (sometimes even longer) . Please help how can i make it to boot fast with 1-2 minutes.
IMG-20190418-132030.jpg

my pc specs
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G( disable the VEGA 8 onboard graphics)
Asus Ex 320 Gaming motherboard
Gskill RAM 8GB(1 X 8)
Corsair VS 550
Zotac Geforce GTX 1050Ti
BIOS is latest.
Your boot HDD / SSD may have corruption or poor health. Check its health with HD sentinel.

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
I downloaded HD sentinel , and ran it, this is what i displayed. Is it okay.
View attachment 5299
50c is too much for a HDD. You should open your PC case side panel to cool you hdd. HDD temps should never cross 42c.
In HD Sentinel, goto Configuration---> Advanced Options---> Health Calculation method.
Set Analyse data field (more strict, recommended for servers)-select this to check health more accurately.
Also run Short Self Test, It will take approx 2 minutes.

What are your CPU temps ? Download AIDA64 and do some CPU+memory stress test to rule out any possible hardware problems.

Last edited:

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
50c is too much for a HDD. You should open your PC case side panel to cool you hdd. HDD temps should never cross 42c.
Yeah , the higher temp of HDD is caused due to it is placement in the cabinet it seems, as antec p7 cabinet is designed in sauch a way that HDD is kept sperately undeneath the motherboard in a separate room.
p7_pdt03.png

In HD Sentinel, goto Configuration---> Advanced Options---> Health Calculation method.
Set Analyse data field (more strict, recommended for servers)-select this to check health more accurately
I applied the settings which you recommended and this is what is displayed after that
hd.jpg
Also run Short Self Test, It will take approx 2 minutes.
I ran the short self test and here are the result.
hd1.jpg

Attachments

• hd2.jpg
    hd2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3
  • hd1.jpg
    hd1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah , the higher temp of HDD is caused due to it is placement in the cabinet it seems, as antec p7 cabinet is designed in sauch a way that HDD is kept sperately undeneath the motherboard in a separate room.
p7_pdt03.png

I applied the settings which you recommended and this is what is displayed after that
View attachment 5300

I ran the short self test and here are the result.
View attachment 5303
Your HDD seems fine to me. How are your cpu temps ? Try AiDA64

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
Everything seems fine, then why your pc is booting slowly. Even on HDD it shouldn't take more than 1.5 minutes to boot into OS.
Sometimes rarely once or twice it boots with few seconds, but for majority of the part is takes atleast 10-11 minutes.

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
I don't know but i posted the same question here.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/slow-booting-problem.3472068/
According to the solution in that forum, ny hdd is dying it seems.
Crystal disk info values might not be accurate. So i recommended you HD sentinel. Last thing you can do is try Surface test in read mode and check how many yellow or red blocks it gets. I would also suggest you to backup your most important data to any other HDD or USB drive before running surface test.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Could be dying HDD, could be a hang due to some sort of hardware device initialization failure / timeout, do you have any other SATA devices in the PC? Some that only show up some times?

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
20 minutes to boot into windows?! Something must be seriously wrong. Does it take the same time to reboot into safe mode? How fast will it boot a linux flavour from a usb key? I would be tempted to check all the cables and reseat the memory and graphics card.

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
Could be dying HDD, could be a hang due to some sort of hardware device initialization failure / timeout, do you have any other SATA devices in the PC? Some that only show up some times?
No i am using only a single 1 TB HDD but long before i inserted a internal hard disk (which i converted into a external harddisk by using adapter - SATA to USB 2.0 ) through usb.

Crystal disk info values might not be accurate. So i recommended you HD sentinel. Last thing you can do is try Surface test in read mode and check how many yellow or red blocks it gets. I would also suggest you to backup your most important data to any other HDD or USB drive before running surface test.
here is the Surface test. It ran for some 2 hour
testresutl.jpg

tes1.jpg

Also my PC runs straight for like 10-12 hours a day without a break unless there is pwoer disruption , may that might be the casue, i dunno just guessing

Attachments

• tes1.jpg
    tes1.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tes1.jpg
    tes1.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 3

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
No i am using only a single 1 TB HDD but long before i inserted a internal hard disk (which i converted into a external harddisk by using adapter - SATA to USB 2.0 ) through usb.

here is the Surface test. It ran for some 2 hour
View attachment 5310

View attachment 5313
I have no doubt that your HDD is fine. That one dark green block is normal. I want to know exactly where your pc takes too much time. Is it during post or during OS loading ?
I suspect problem with bootx64.efi (windows bootloader). You can use easy BCD to fix it.
Bootloader is a app which loads OS.
Are you using AHCI or IDE for OS HDD ? UEFI or legacy booting ?

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
I want to know exactly where your pc takes too much time. Is it during post or during OS loading ?

In the beginning Asus logo would displayed where the F2 / DEL button would be asked to press to enter bios settings, after that this screen (below attached image ) would appear for a quite long time.
IMG-20190418-132030.jpg

after this my Windows would appear with my username, which takes 15 secs to enter desktop.

I suspect problem with bootx64.efi (windows bootloader). You can use easy BCD to fix it.
Bootloader is a app which loads OS.

Please englightment me the process on how to do it.
UEFI or legacy booting ?
UEFI

Are you using AHCI or IDE for OS HDD ?
This is my HDD https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-BarraCuda-ST1000DM010-Desktop-Latest/dp/B01LNJBA2I
Seagate New BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB
i am not sure i just compared the model number from my system information
hd1.pngsentile.jpg
But i not sure whether it is AHCI or IDE

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
In the beginning Asus logo would displayed where the F2 / DEL button would be asked to press to enter bios settings, after that this screen (below attached image ) would appear for a quite long time.
IMG-20190418-132030.jpg

after this my Windows would appear with my username, which takes 15 secs to enter desktop.

Please englightment me the process on how to do it.

UEFI

This is my HDD https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-BarraCuda-ST1000DM010-Desktop-Latest/dp/B01LNJBA2I
Seagate New BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB
i am not sure i just compared the model number from my system information
View attachment 5314View attachment 5315
But i not sure whether it is AHCI or IDE
AHCI and IDE are modes which you can change in BIOS.

That animation under asus logo freezes or continuously spins till os is loaded ?
You can try reinstalling Windows again, as it will replace your bootloader with stock one and can fix slow booting in your case.

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
AHCI and IDE are modes which you can change in BIOS.
I think it is AHCI modes as in device manger i found this.
Untitled.jpg
That animation under asus logo freezes or continuously spins till os is loaded ?
You can try reinstalling Windows again, as it will replace your bootloader with stock one and can fix slow booting in your case.

]

I have never seen it during the entire time but I am quite sure that this cirle (encircled with red marker) spins the whole time.
Untitled.jpg

You can try reinstalling Windows again,
But i might have to install at least 19-20 software , so i am quite reluctant to do it, also i don't have the ISO file.

yeah the spin continues even when the windows background appears (welcome) with my username in the middle of the sceen is diplayed.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you have a NAS? Any shared/mapped drives on this system? Is it wired or wireless, your network connection?

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
Do you have a NAS? Any shared/mapped drives on this system? Is it wired or wireless, your network connection?
No but once i connected my laptop with my pc for file transfer through lan cable, but i think it might have switched off file sharing after the transfer was completed , but i will check again. my laptop is windows 7 and my pc is windows 10.

Also my motherboard deosn not have a WIFI card so i used external usb for accessing wfi my it would have picked up some devices.
Untitled.jpg
i have no idea what is that "magnolia" is and how it came there but the second one network infrastructure is my modem.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The cause of delayed boots as suggested above often is a problem with windows recognition of connected devices which have been offered for enumeration by the BIOS and which may occur even though the drives/peripherals test well otherwise. The anomaly results because the SMART tests proceed from an operating drive whereas the delay proceeds from a difficulty windows has in recognizing and operating the drive. (Speculation on my part). A dying drive might well exhibit such a problem.

Anyway, I suggest there are just two options now, reinstall windows ( off load all personal data as the disk will be wiped) and try another drive. SSds are very cheap now, perhaps take this as a time to upgrade anyway?

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
The cause of delayed boots as suggested above often is a problem with windows recognition of connected devices which have been offered for enumeration by the BIOS and which may occur even though the drives/peripherals test well otherwise. The anomaly results because the SMART tests proceed from an operating drive whereas the delay proceeds from a difficulty windows has in recognizing and operating the drive. (Speculation on my part). A dying drive might well exhibit such a problem.

Anyway, I suggest there are just two options now, reinstall windows ( off load all personal data as the disk will be wiped) and try another drive. SSds are very cheap now, perhaps take this as a time to upgrade anyway?

I will try getting a new SSD.