Slow and loud Harddrives after switch from intel to amd

Akyno

Dec 2, 2005
Hi,

Im currently experiencing a strange problem with my Harddrives.
Ive just upgraded my system. I had an Intel board with a P4 before and upgraded to A8N32-SLI Deluxe with an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and a new ATI Graphic Card. The rest of the system is the same.

I have a Serial ATA Harddrive 120Gig Seagate Baracuda and an standard IDE IBM/Hitachi 40gig

I completely reinstalled WinXP SP2 and installed the NForce4 and AMD Drivers.

Now before I upgraded my System, my Harddrives were, well what I would now describe as silent and fast. In my new System especialy the serial ATA just runs damn slow and is quite loud when reading or writing stuff.

I have no idea what causes this Problem.

any ideas?

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The change probly came from the swich in the hard drive controller. Intel HDD controllers on the ICH support a silent mode that slows things down to keep noise at a minimum. You can probably change these settings in your IBM's firmware, just download the UBCD, the proper IBM tools like Drive Fitness test and utilities are on that ISO image. Same goes for seagate, go into the firmware and look through the options and change the drives settings for quiet mode. Doing this will decrease performance.

Some controllers will cause drives to make more noise than other HDD Controlles will.