Slot fans might need oiling

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
We have slot fans in the computers at work, and upon booting one of them, I heard an odd noise so I had a look inside. The slot fan was not turning. I peeled the label off the underside and put a couple of drops of high-quality oil on the sleeve bearing, and it is running fine again. I replaced the label with some clear box tape, since it was not sticking very well. Y'all might want to check your slot fans.

Recommended oil: Phil Wood Tenacious Oil or Tri-Flow. Not recommended: vegetable-based oils such as 3-in-1 Oil, which will turn gummy evenutally. Your local bicycle shop will probably have Tri-Flow, it is a good all-around lubricant for bicycle componentry too ;)

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Those particular slot fans have been in there only about six months. The computer in question does run 24/7 (another RC5-64 cracker;)).

Edit: hey, I like your site, GideonX! Added to Favorites. I wish I had a creative case to enter in your contest, but mine are very unoriginal, just the same old 120mm blowhole thing. Maybe I'll get feisty with my Craftsman Industrial toolbox and put a microATX mobo in the bottom! Not a good case for taking to LAN parties, though... fully loaded, it's about 500 pounds :p

Bry

Oct 11, 1999
Doh, I just threw one away that stopped working.. it wasn't making any noise and wasn't turning so I just tossed it, lame sleeve bearing pieces of crap.

Toro 45

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ya, I had one that was about 9 months old that had stopped turning, did the same thing as you &amp; all is well now. Tri Flow is great stuff.
Toro:)