SLI just about dead yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lisle

Jul 16, 2018
Is that the Titan V not for gaming ?
Was just reading up on it. Bit out of the loop

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is that the Titan V not for gaming ?
Was just reading up on it. Bit out of the loop

People can game with Titan cards for sure, but that's not the cards primary purpose.

The last two cards (980ti and 1080ti) offer very similar gaming performance at much lower prices.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I won't miss it. Way too much resources were put into SLI and I'm glad those can be used for other things. Driver development, game development, motherboard design, power supplies, etc. It was all a waste to me. I could both have afforded and enjoyed SLI but I never wanted the hassle, and I'm probably not the only one.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'm still on SLI 970's and finding more and more games that don't properly support it natively. However, every single instance that I run into for SLI issues is easily fixed by known profiles for a particular engine and setting that game's profile by nvidiainspector. I've actually yet to run into a game that I can't utilize both of my cards properly with decent scaling because of that.

I think of it like this: anyone actually going with SLI is likely going to be someone that's willing to tinker and experiment. That's always been a smaller sector of the consumer market, so I don't think it's going anywhere. That enthusiast level of engagement will always remain and removing that ability essentially kills the point of owning a computer to begin with for me: the ability to tinker.

If GPUs ever go the way of the iPhone, I'll probably lose all ambition to even bother.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Two GPU is most definitely not better then one.
Maybe if your crypto mining...
Maybe if they scaled 100% actually give me even 33% scaling and i wouldnt complain as much, but it doesnt.
Nvidia has the worst driver support for SLI.

Infact its gotten worse then it used to be with the older gen cards when you could manually set the cards to render.
(render 1 and render 2)

SLI causes micro shuttering, as well.

I can go on and on about how much fail SLI is, and this is coming from a person who used to SLI/Xfire in all my builds.

So sorry to tell you this but, a Single 1080 Ti >>>>>>>>> 2 x 1080 GTX.
Why?
Because that Ti has more ram, will most likely run flawlessly with any game that comes out on 0 day, with minimal driver support.

Also you wont be at the mercy of Nvidia's lazy driver department rolling out SLI drivers for a game which most likely you would be done playing with.

Having run SLI for just over a decade i fully agree with this, i would never go dual card again either SLI or CF.

mrbrout

Oct 14, 2011
I run 1080TIs. There are a sizable amount of "old" AAA SLI games that require two 1080ti's to run 4K 60Fps at high settings.. ie. Witcher3,Wildlands,GTA5,Dying Light,MiddleEarth... I have not finished all those games expansions. Sadly I still need my two 1080ti's even though they are not supported in 99% of current and likely future games. I doubt a single 2080 will be enough to play those games at 4K60fps. So, my next big question is if Nvlink will, or can, be used for multiGPU gaming increase. ???
Big unknown with no answers I can find.