SLI GTX 280 (Upgrading)

TantrumusMaximus

Dec 27, 2004
Hey all,

I'm currently running GTX280 SLI setup... the main game I play is Skyrim right now and loving it. My current setup does fairly well in Ultra texture settings with tweaks obviously to distance and other settings.

I am running a post FFXA injector which makes lighting/shading so much more realistic but at a price and I'm pretty much ready to drop $$$ on my system again.

Can anyone suggest a single card significant upgrade? $500 budget.

OR, is the SLI 280 setup going to match a single card GTX580? etc etc...

Having a difficult time finding comparisons to my setup online.

Basically I'm hoping to up the settings a bit and get to slide out the distances a bit for objects/grass/actors/items etc and get some more FPS.... I'm probably playing between 20-35FPS now and it gets chuggy during busy fights.

Thanks!

[DOH, I haven't been here in several months and went to adjust my signature and found that I posted a similar question in November. Still, hoping perhaps there are better options now.]

Last edited:

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
Hey all,

I'm currently running GTX280 SLI setup... the main game I play is Skyrim right now and loving it. My current setup does fairly well in Ultra texture settings with tweaks obviously to distance and other settings.

I am running a post FFXA injector which makes lighting/shading so much more realistic but at a price and I'm pretty much ready to drop $$$ on my system again.

Can anyone suggest a single card significant upgrade? $500 budget.

OR, is the SLI 280 setup going to match a single card GTX580? etc etc...

Having a difficult time finding comparisons to my setup online.

Basically I'm hoping to up the settings a bit and get to slide out the distances a bit for objects/grass/actors/items etc and get some more FPS.... I'm probably playing between 20-35FPS now and it gets chuggy during busy fights.

Thanks!

[DOH, I haven't been here in several months and went to adjust my signature and found that I posted a similar question in November. Still, hoping perhaps there are better options now.]

wait till the end of the month before jumping ship the tahiti pro hd 7950 is launching then and kepler might (1 in 180 chance of happening) launch

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Install SKYBOOST. Made a world of a difference for me. Although I do have a slower CPU. I run @ 1080 with sliders maxed and everything on ultra excpet shadows are at high. 2X AA and 8X AF. Runs awesome with Skyboost - towns specifically. Markarth is a framerate killer.

Last edited:

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
SLI GTX 280 would be like GTX 460 SLI so you are about at GTX 580 performance right now.

I would guess that you are actually CPU limited in Skyrim. Skyrim can only run on two cores so even your i7 is going to get bogged down.

Even i5 2500k processors at 5GHz are CPU limited in this game.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
That's a good combination you've got there, I wouldn't upgrade until nVidia releases Kepler in a couple of months (Feb. / March) time frame.

The only thing I would recommend right now is the Radeon HD 7970 but that costs over your budget at $550.

TantrumusMaximus

Dec 27, 2004
Thanks for the responses.

I know the 7000 series and the 580s are overpriced to me....

I did a bunch of reading and found the EVGA GTX560ti 448 Core Classified.... for $299 on newegg. It supposedly overclocks very well and can match or even best a reference (non-OC) GTX580 which is $300 more....

I am entertaining the thought of buying two of these as I doubt any new single card will best two of them....

What do you think about that plan?? A bit out of my initial $500 plan... but at $600 and selling my 280s I should be under budget and have pretty stellar performance.

Regarding SKYBOOST in Skyrim, is that compatible with the TESV accellerator I'm running now? It is a plugin for SKSE...

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Get two 570's instead. The 560ti 448 is a bit overpriced and not worth bothering with in my opinion.

Last edited:

Crap Daddy

May 6, 2011
Don't shell a lot of money on old tech. In only a few months the new NV cards will be out. AMD's new 7970 is a lot faster than your setup but currently I think is overpriced. The 580 was overpriced from the beginning and is now redundant at 500$, even at 450$ compared to the 570. Your cards will hold for a few months and yes, Skyrim needs very fast CPU. New tech is just around the corner wait and then decide.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Don't shell a lot of money on old tech. In only a few months the new NV cards will be out. AMD's new 7970 is a lot faster than your setup but currently I think is overpriced. The 580 was overpriced from the beginning and is now redundant at 500$, even at 450$ compared to the 570. Your cards will hold for a few months and yes, Skyrim needs very fast CPU. New tech is just around the corner wait and then decide.
And after that comes out newer tech will be around the corner yet again. :ninja:

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'd wait for the rest of the AMD 7000 series and Nvidia 600/700 series. Dual GTX 280s is a very nice setup.

jimpatrick

Nov 29, 2011
im upgrading this month as well,gpu is the only thing left to replace on my current rig.i can still play skyrim on my 2600k @4.5 cooled w/h100 using 9800gt 50-60fps :awe:

this gpu guide is updated to current prices.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
And after that comes out newer tech will be around the corner yet again. :ninja:

There is a big difference between 1 months and 9+ months. Even if he doesn't buy the new cards the older ones are dropping in price, at least on AMD's side.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
wait till the end of the month before jumping ship the tahiti pro hd 7950 is launching then and kepler might (1 in 180 chance of happening) launch

Looking forward to the 7950 as well, but where did you hear that Kepler had a chance of launching? Even at the odds you posted?

OP: There is also a single card dual GPU GTX560Ti 2WIN that fills the gap between GTX580 and GTX590 performance. Might want to check that out.

Here is a link: http://www.techpowerup.com/154688/The-New-EVGA-Dual-GTX-560-Ti-That-Thinks-It-s-A-GTX-585.html
519.00 and will dust a 7970 or GTX580. I figure you don't mind multi GPU coming from 2 280's.

Link to AT article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5048/evgas-geforce-gtx-560-ti-2win-the-raw-power-of-two-gpus

Last edited:

TantrumusMaximus

Dec 27, 2004
Damn my head's spinnin... I think I'll wait. I need new hockey skates and some other crap anyhow! I guess I'll milk the 280's some more.... it plays fine.

As of last night I downloaded some drivers off Guru3D and was able to push the distances to the max on all sliders and run the ENB Post Injector mod for FFXA on Skyrim so that's enuff for me for the time being.

I appreciate the responses and will keep watching :)