Slavery has benefited descendants...there is a superior athletic gene’?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
If you take two separate family lineages; one of them works in the field every day while the other does not, it is clear the working lineage will be physically stronger.

This is a basic concept that a 12 year old can figure out for themselves.

No. That isn't how evolution works, you don't pass along stronger genes just because you are more physically fit.

If the weak slaves were killed or happened to die or were just not allowed to ever have children, that would be the explanation.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
If you take two separate family lineages; one of them works in the field every day while the other does not, it is clear the working lineage will be physically stronger.

No,

Acquired characteristics are not inherited. For example, the enlargement of muscles from constant field work.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
if their ancestors had such a "superior athletic gene" why couldn't they outrun the white slave traders :colbert:

Outrun... are you implying their own people did not enslave them? The first slaves were offered. Maybe not all, but that's how it started.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
The best soccer players in Europe tend to be black, and they come from straight from Africa, no slavery involved. Some of the world's best runners are from Kenya, again no slavery. Its nice to think that blacks in the new world are somehow better at sports due to slavery but it doesnt look that way.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Don't forget to thank the Ancient Egyptians for making the Jews such talented comedians via slavery.

Genetic fact.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
If you want to be truly honest those that cry the most about slavery over 150 years ago wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for slavery.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I don't think the real sin was Jimmy the Greek getting fired. Overreactions abound in this politically correct society.

The real sin was the fact that he was ostracized and black-balled from his profession for the rest of his life for basically repeating what he had heard a black sociologist say.

Fuck that shit, and fuck the cretins who perpetrated it. I hope they burn in hell.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
purely from a science standpoint, even if there was widespread selective breeding, could it really have had a significant impact after only a few generations?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Actually, only the strong fit ones were pulled from Africa cuz they were the onle ones worth shipping.
And any of them born in America who werent super strong just werent allowed to breed. Nobody killed them off.

But hey, dont let facts and logic get in the way of being liberal, it hasnt stopped anyone here.

I think this is the first time I've been called a liberal. I've been called a Jew, Muslim, atheist, and homosexual, but never a liberal. Thanks. :wub::thumbsup:

srsly, what did my post have to do with being liberal? Are you saying it sounded like a "liberal" post because it makes slave owners and traders sound more culpable in the deaths of their slaves? My point is that while there almost was some "selection" involved over many generations of slaves, it was not a particularly involved affair preceding the eugenics movement by centuries, at least as far as I've seen. But since you're a serious college student, undoubtedly disgusted by the intellectual slack-offs like Captain Caveman that you have to put up with in the library, I look forward to some compelling information to enlighten a dumb ass liberal like myself.

Yes, that's why the rice paddy workers of rural Asia are well known for their brawn and size. That is also why giraffes evolved to have longer necks, due to tiny amounts of stretching over generations and generations of reaching for the top branches. Everyone knows this.

If you want to be truly honest those that cry the most about slavery over 150 years ago wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for slavery.

tbh none of us would so that's kind of a futile point to make.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
Following this logic for what it is worth, is it necessarily slavery that is responsible or the relatively underdeveloped nature of the African continent? I freely admit I may well be somewhat ignorant, but the way Africa is usually portrayed is that it has for the most part lagged behind Europe, the Middle East, and Asia in technological development which led to potentially harsher living conditions there. Could it be that those who live in Africa are simply more, for lack of a better word, athletic, because those more prone to disease or weakness would have a tendency to die off in the more brutal African climate with fewer amenities for healing and fewer tools for making work easier? Or am I completely off base and just buying into a Eurocentric view of history perpetuated by popular culture?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
People of African decent have a much larger genetic diversity in their genepool than the other races do, who often have a fraction of the diversity in their gene pool as compared to what the average Africans do. This diversity is the same reason why not every Kenyan is a great distance runner, but it accounts for the unusual variances within the genepools of African-based peoples (i.e. blacks).

It has nothing to do with slavery or anything other than these people being more closely linked to the motherland of all human life and, as such, being more genetically diverse than other races. This is a scientific fact.

Genetic diversity explained:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_diversity

Human genetic diversity as it relates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation

An article on how geography affects genetic diversity:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050310103042.htm

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Most sociologist believe that the superior athletic prowess of peoples of african descent has nothing to do with slavery. A prime example is that the same prowess can be seen within the african continent among people who were never slaves. One current theory is that several centuries of continued tribal living maintained a physical advantage more than "civilized" communities would. Less specialization, and the less advantage of none physical occupations.