Slap on the wrist for terrorist recruiters in France

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
OK, on the one hand, I'm glad they caught and stopped this group... temporarily. But, on the other, I think the sentences themselves are a f'n joke.

AFAIC, everyone involved with AQ should be executed.

How do you guys feel about France's version of justice for terrorists?

French Iraq recruiters are jailed
A French court has convicted seven men accused of recruiting young Muslims in Paris to fight against America-led forces in Iraq.

The sentences ranged from 18 months in prison to seven years in prison, with the cell's ringleader being jailed for six years.

The men were tracked down and arrested after a young Frenchman was found dead in the Iraqi city of Falluja in 2004.

Five of the seven men are French and the other two are from North Africa.

They were arrested in 2005, suspected of being part of an Islamist cell recruiting volunteers to join the Iraqi insurgency.

All the accused had denied the charges.

One of the group's ringleaders, Farid Benyettou, 27, was sentenced to six years in jail.

Boubakeur el-Hakim, 24, whose brother was killed in Iraq and himself fought in the country, was said to have incited friends from France to join him in suicide missions in Baghdad. He was given seven years.

Training camps

The BBC's Alasdair Sandford says the group gained the nickname the "19th arrondissement cell" after the Paris district where most of those on trial grew up.

Investigators said they sent about a dozen Muslims to camps linked to al-Qaeda, although most of those on trial never made it to Iraq themselves.

Our correspondent says security services feared that trained fighters might return and commit terrorist atrocities in France, but no evidence of this was presented in court.

Three of the convicted men given lesser sentences are not expected to return to prison, having already spent several months behind bars.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Then I guess we should execute all the CIA agents who were involved in recruiting and supporting terrorists fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan who later became Al Qaeda.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Then I guess we should execute all the CIA agents who were involved in recruiting and supporting terrorists fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan who later became Al Qaeda.
:confused:

seriously, wtf is wrong with you?!

/ignored

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I am wholly against state-sanctioned execution. This case is weird, probably life in prison is more appropriate.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I am wholly against state-sanctioned execution. This case is weird, probably life in prison is more appropriate.

fair enough.. but you sound like you agree that 6 months to 7 years for Terrorist Recruitment is a bit ridiculous...?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: senseamp
:confused:

seriously, wtf is wrong with you?!

/ignored

You don't think we should execute the people who recruited, trained, armed, and unleashed a bunch of Muslim radicals in Afghanistan in the 80s and led to the creation of Al Qaeda? Why the hell not?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Europe has at times rendered some interesting verdicts. The one that surprises me. Adolph Hitler leads a coup and gets 5 years in prison(serves 1).

But who knows we have our own wtf verdicts and sentences. That chick who shot her husband in TN. Got 46 days in the mental institution and is getting her kids back.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Illogical judgments can be very easily justified at the altar of moral relativism.