Skyrim E3 demo & interview.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Looking forward to this! I love the immersive world of Oblivion, so it'll be great to see much more detail and hopefully fixes in AI and gameplay.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm hoping the new graphics engine brings with it refreshingly new gameplay as well. I'm a little nervous though after watching the first few minutes of footage here, that wolf battle looked really familiar...

I know there's only so many ways you can do a sword battle in first person, but it felt instantly familiar to me in a way I was kind of hoping it wouldn't...

So I'm excited but my enthusiasm is a little, just a little... tempered after watching the first few minutes. I stopped at that point since I don't know yet whether I want to watch all of this with the game still many five months away. :)

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Loading Content...Loading Content...Loading Content...Loading Content...

Holy anticipation!

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I watched a video over at gametrailers of it. Was cool, the whole dynamic part with the dragons is really cool.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Oblivion is quickly becoming the Madden of the fantasy world. There's a new one every year and it's the same old shit.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
The dragons look pretty awesome. I'm impressed that they aren't scripted; it looks very realistic.

Apr 28, 2010
Don't care how it looks. Oblivion sucked, and was probably the best looking game for its time.

I'm more interested if they manage to make it interesting, and smell less of console.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
The new spell / item system looked interesting, but ultimately it's going to come down to how much variety there is in combat. If it's still "cast spell, swing sword, cast spell, swing sword" or "swing, block, swing, block," etc., then this is going to get the same opinions that Oblivion did.

More importantly, IMO, is how they handle opponents and character leveling. The touched base on it during the video (some areas more difficult, some easier, some randomized depending on character level), but they didn't really mention how you actually level up. If they go back to the idea of "use skills over and over until you level, then assign +? to attributes based on which skills you use," then someone needs to kick them in the teeth. Oblivion badly needed more character customization and less monotonous skill leveling.

Overall, I found the video very intriguing. Despite Oblivion's shortcomings, it was still a blast to go out in the world and explore. I'm looking forward to Skyrim and I really hope they address those few sour areas.

Apr 28, 2010
More importantly, IMO, is how they handle opponents and character leveling. The touched base on it during the video (some areas more difficult, some easier, some randomized depending on character level), but they didn't really mention how you actually level up. If they go back to the idea of "use skills over and over until you level, then assign +? to attributes based on which skills you use," then someone needs to kick them in the teeth. Oblivion badly needed more character customization and less monotonous skill leveling.

Agreed. The leveling system was my main complain about Oblivion.

I hope some areas will kick my butt, and I'd feel stronger through leveling by kicking butt in other areas, and I don't feel like jumping around like an idiot, just so I get the opportunity to raise agility :p

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
I liked Oblivion but I must say I've come to find most sword games a bit tedious. The fighting is kind of dicey and all the menus with the spells and such get to be a chore. Valve is exceptional at avoiding all that stuff in their games.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
I hope some areas will kick my butt, and I'd feel stronger through leveling by kicking butt in other areas, and I don't feel like jumping around like an idiot, just so I get the opportunity to raise agility :p

When playing Morrowind or Oblivion I never really felt I had to do something over and over just to raise a skill, stat or my character's level. What I really hated though was the I often felt compeled avoid doing certain things so I wouldn't level too quickly and get crappy stat bonuses as a result. It's not a good system when you find yourself saying things like "Doh, I accidentally gained a skill level" and "Crap, I leveled".

Combine that with auto-leveling monsters and you've got a game where arguably the most powerful character build is one where you don't level your character all, just raise your skills.

And yah, going back and killing monsters that used kick your ass does make you fell like your character has actually gotten more powerful.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Oblivion is quickly becoming the Madden of the fantasy world. There's a new one every year and it's the same old shit.

+1

Give me refined, improved and ::gasp:: new gameplay elements ::gasp:: and a deep story!! Improving the graphics and menus is nice but gameplay and story is what makes and breaks a rpg.

Last edited:

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I couldn't really get into Morrowind or Oblivion, but I'm finding myself interested in Skyrim after watching this preview. Would you guys suggest I give the previous Elder Scrolls games another chance before playing this one? (Is the story continuous?)

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I couldn't really get into Morrowind or Oblivion, but I'm finding myself interested in Skyrim after watching this preview. Would you guys suggest I give the previous Elder Scrolls games another chance before playing this one? (Is the story continuous?)

The story isn't continuous though there will probably be references to the previous games and of course they share the same lore and world.

You can probably find Oblivion with all the add-ons really cheap these days. Morrowind is also worth picking up now with the Morrowind Overhaul that completely transforms the game visually. Still, Skyrim will probably be a lot more similar to Oblivion than to Morrowind.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I've never seen E3 "interviews". Are they all that retarded/drunk? the first half bald guy couldn't even talk. He was just making noises half the time.

It didn't sound like they played any of the games ever in their life.

good game, horrible interview.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011

I couldnt get into oblivion either,gonna give it another shot though.seems like there are lots of mods for it, gonna try it with few graphics enhancement ones.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I for one loved Oblivion, even with all it's minor problems (they seemed minor to me).

Nik said:

wth? lol

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I liked Oblivion but I must say I've come to find most sword games a bit tedious. The fighting is kind of dicey and all the menus with the spells and such get to be a chore. Valve is exceptional at avoiding all that stuff in their games.

Valve has a medieval fantasy game?