Skype works, shows I have internet, but browser wont go online. Wired or wireless

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
. Im getting ipv4 internet access, says Im online, skype works but not one browser or steam will connect to the internet and I cant get on the web without it saying page not found. It worked fine last night before going to bed but today nada. I have called my cable provider and they say its my pc and if true what do I do to fix this. Please help i need to get on the internet. Tia and hope to hear soon.

EDIT
I just got a laptop and it too is doing the same thing wired or wireless. Its got a fresh install of windows 7 I did this morning so its not just my pc doing this to me anymore. My kid and wifes pcs both go online with no problems, just my stuff will not and again this is wired or wireless. Think it could be my modem?? please help and advise some more, this is driving me insane. And I tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in dns and it still worked for a bit then booted me off again about an hour later. Now Im back on but no telling for how long.

Last edited:

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
You don't need IPv6 to connect to the internet. Open an elevated Command prompt and run these commands in succession:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /all

After you run "ipconfig /all", right-click the Command prompt window and choose "select all" then press "enter" which will copy the contents to the Clipboard, then open Notepad and paste. Post back with the contents.

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I did all of that and still cannot get any browser to go on the internet. I also cannot copy and paste because i only have my tablet to work with. Skype and steam however go online but not the browsers. Any other ideas?

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
In Network and Sharing Center under "Change adapter settings", what does it report when you right-click your connection/s and select "Diagnose"?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
It says that it cant find anything wrong. I guess im on the internet but none of my browsers will come up and show a site. Chrome said some error about dns not configured right. Does that mean anything or help?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Oh and this tablet and my sons computer goes online with ie or firefox. Only looks to be my pc effrcted.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Here's the setup for using Google public DNS nameservers, and keep in mind that depending on your geographic location there may be better DNS nameservers available. However, these steps will apply regardless of which DNS nameservers you choose.

1. Go the Control Panel
2. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.

3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:

• To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.

• To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.

4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.Click OK. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.

6. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:

• For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844

7. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I actually did that with internet tech support and it did not work. They flashed my modem 3 time and i restarted it atleast 5. Last tech support guy said its a setting in my pc but for the life of me i did nothing to it other then shut it off and turn it back on this morning. No updates no installs just turn it on got no internet access on ipv4&6 which i go 4to go back on but not 6. Its my understanding that 6 does not have to be connected but im pissed because i tried everthing i know and though it says im online and skype works i cant do anything else and dont know what to change. It beyond my ability and been messing with it for hours with no luck at all. I appreciate all your help and am open to more suggestions. I just dont understand how it says im online but no browsers or steam will connect or show a site.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I have no idea what just happened but I left to pick up my son, made the above post off my tablet and went to try and see why Im not on the internet and now its working. :p I did NOTHING:p I picked up my boy from school hit the browser and BAM it is working> Im dumbfounded to say the least. Thanks for all your help, it is GREATLY appreciated!
Jay

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Spoke to soon, now its on and off the internet. Dont know how much longer I got to be on line but I hope someone can point me right again :)

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
You stated earlier that your "...tablet and my sons computer goes online with ie or firefox. Only looks to be my pc effrcted.", and then you stated; "I actually did that with internet tech support and it did not work. They flashed my modem 3 time and i restarted it atleast 5. Last tech support guy said its a setting in my pc... ". So did you actually perform the manual procedure for changing to Google public DNS, or are you just assuming that happened when you hooked up with tech support?

When tech support reset your modem, and regardless of how many times you rebooted it, those actions did not change the DNS nameservers used by the network adapter on your machine. Resetting your modem has absolutely nothing to with your problem since your tablet and sons PC both connect and, unless you have manually performed the outlined procedure for changing DNS nameservers, nothing has changed.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset the TCP/IP stack manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files box.

2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.

3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.

4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

5. Reboot the computer.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
So far, knocking on wood, its still working with the last trick the it guy had me try. But once it flubs up I will be sure to give this a try, thank you!

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I should also mention that the last guy I talked to said that my pc is having trouble getting a dns on its own. I also went and got a new modem fresh from the box hoping that mine was a dud since we had a storm and knocked out our power. But that didnt work. Right now Im on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the dns and its so far been working.

As for my pc, I got mad and tried to take a video card out, I was running crossfire, and when I pulled it out I forgot about the locking tab and pulled the entire adapter out with it so I had to order a new motherboard and its not working so I cant test it out ATM.

test_52

Jan 26, 2013
I encountered a similar situation before.

I tried to ping "www.google.com" but it cannot resolve this domain name. I typed in the ip address of google.com and I can access internet. I thought it was the DNS but its not. I tried changing DNS(google dns, opendns), flush the dns, set manual IP but it still cannot work.

I found another person in the windows forum who had similar problems. He discovered that the computer name, workgroup is not displayed in System(Control Panel, System). So he mentioned he changed the computer name, workgroup name and entered the dns suffix settings(Open System in Control panel, On the Computer Name tab, click Change. Click More.I just entered a sample dns suffix. If you want to be safe you can enter the computer description also). If you check the computer details, it is displayed(Not blank anymore in System). Reboot the computer and he is able to access the internet

I was able to access the internet again. Wireless was able to use again but wired was not able to. A uninstall of the ethernet driver enabled me to use the ethernet connection.

A clean reformat can also help fix this issue if I am not wrong. The computer configuration details is blank(But the settings are still there when you click on it)

Johnny66

Jun 4, 2014
I have a similar problem, but it only affects me between the hours of 10PM and 12PM and only on this particular network.

Is there anything I can do that will help strengthen the connection.

It's really odd as it only occurs during the peak hours of Facebook interaction here in Vietnam (if you know what I mean).