Skylake Z170 Motherboard Round-Up

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
These two Gigabyte MB's are shown to have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP. But no version shown for HDCP:

'GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)'
'GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 (rev. 1.0)'

Maybe this type of information will be published in the next couple of weeks.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Right now, only Gigabyte boards have Alpine Ridge. They seem to have exclusivity on it for the Z170 launch. The Anandtech Z170 mobo article mentions that other motherboard makers plan to launch boards with Alpine Ridge in September. I've read elsewhere Asus and MSI will among them.

Will they be releasing new models with AR, or just revisions of the same models? The number of mobos is getting crazy...

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Is there a database of Z170 boards so that I can browse by price range or features? I'm getting a headache just trying to narrow down to something that will fit my needs.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks. I'm actually currently working myself through that article but its so huge that I have to take notes.

What I'm looking for is a plain, simple and cheap board with as little 3rd party stuff as possible and preferably everything Intel (LAN, Alpine Ridge, etc), but with some OC potential. I am a gamer but I never really found the "gaming" label to make sense on mb's.

Jagercola

Aug 23, 2001
These two Gigabyte MB's are shown to have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP. But no version shown for HDCP:

Maybe this type of information will be published in the next couple of weeks.

Looks like these are using an add-on media controller, so HDMI 2 doesn't work right now but may in a future software update. Goggling that media controller talks about how it does bring HDCP 2.2. All this new technology hit but looks like the software wasn't done.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
Looks like these are using an add-on media controller, so HDMI 2 doesn't work right now but may in a future software update. Goggling that media controller talks about how it does bring HDCP 2.2. All this new technology hit but looks like the software wasn't done.

Yes. I've read a few articles about the Megachip LSPCON (high-speed level-shifter and active-protocol converter) MCDP2800 chip. It sounds good. Currently, it seems to be the best (only?) onboard controller to convert Skylake's DP to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. There is also an Asmedia controller chip, but I have not found a source stating it converts to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. I would like to know more about both of them and the MBs they are used on.

And, like you say, it sounds as though there will be a firmware update coming out to make it work. I have found nothing that addresses how it works today. For example, is it HDMI 1.4 today? Maybe there is no HDMI today. I don't know.

I think the problem is, we are trying to rush this process. Perhaps Skylake came out several weeks too early. And/or, we need to sit back and wait for the big guys to test some MBs for us.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
Thanks. I'm actually currently working myself through that article but its so huge that I have to take notes.

What I'm looking for is a plain, simple and cheap board with as little 3rd party stuff as possible and preferably everything Intel (LAN, Alpine Ridge, etc), but with some OC potential. I am a gamer but I never really found the "gaming" label to make sense on mb's.

I don't think you are going to find a cheap and simple MB with Alpine Ridge. It seems that really raises the price. Even though I'm not a gamer, I'm thinking the best MB to buy is the GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0). Then second is the GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 (rev. 1.0), which unfortunately costs about the same price as a small car.

I am interested in what you find and decide.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Yes. I've read a few articles about the Megachip LSPCON (high-speed level-shifter and active-protocol converter) MCDP2800 chip. It sounds good. Currently, it seems to be the best (only?) onboard controller to convert Skylake's DP to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. There is also an Asmedia controller chip, but I have not found a source stating it converts to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. I would like to know more about both of them and the MBs they are used on.

And, like you say, it sounds as though there will be a firmware update coming out to make it work. I have found nothing that addresses how it works today. For example, is it HDMI 1.4 today? Maybe there is no HDMI today. I don't know.

I think the problem is, we are trying to rush this process. Perhaps Skylake came out several weeks too early. And/or, we need to sit back and wait for the big guys to test some MBs for us.

From Anandtech:

Edit: We can confirm that HDMI 2.0 is via a separate LS-PCon, although it will need a future firmware update before it can be used

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/...srock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro/9

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
From Anandtech: We can confirm that HDMI 2.0 is via a separate LS-PCon, although it will need a future firmware update before it can be used

Yes. And that explanation is the only one I have found. I would like to know a little more about it since it applies to one of the very few MB's that support or will support HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
There is also an Asmedia controller chip, but I have not found a source stating it converts to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

The Asmedia ASM1142K controller chip seems to offer only HDMI 1.4. So perhaps the MegaChip is the only one that can be used to convert DP to HDMI 2.0 w/ HDCP 2.2.

It seems the Asmedia chip is used to do some other 'non-HDMI' features for Skylake.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
If anyone is interested, here are the MB's I've found that could potentially provide HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Two Gigabyte MB's state 'HDMI 2.0' and 'compatible with HDCP' (no version stated for HDCP). However, Since both of those MB's utilize the Megachip LSPCON (high-speed level-shifter and active-protocol converter) MCDP2800 chip, it seems HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 is offered.

('GA-Z170X-UD5 TH' also shows to be HDMI 2.0, but may have been discontinued or maybe only available in some areas)

ASRock Z170 Pro4s: "Supports HDCP with DVI-D and HDMI Ports" - No version numbers stated.
Biostar 'Gaming Z170X 5.x' supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP. (no version stated for HDCP).
ASUS Z170-DELUXE supports HDMI 2.0 but per ASUS, does not support HDCP.
ECS 'Z170-CLAYMORE LEET' supports HDMI 2.0

Last edited:

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
Per ASUS:

" I am very sorry to inform you that Z170 Deluxe and ASUS motherboards don't support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 by default."

I suppose it is true that both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are not supported, but ASUS specs state it is HDMI 2.0 compliant. Odd they would use a controller on the MB to do one but not the other.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'll be going for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 which seems to fit my needs perfectly with no extra fluff.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5499#sp

Intel LAN
Alpine Ridge
USB 3.1
Only Intel USB controllers
2x M.2
3x PCI Express x16/8
3x PCI Express x1
No third party controllers

I don't need everything this board offers either, like the extra full size PCI-E slots (I'll never run SLI), but this board offers the best compromise for me. Notable things that it doesn't have for those who might wonder is DP output on the IGP, and regular PCI.

It is of course not in stock in my area with no date yet, so I'll have some more time to ponder this....

ignatzatsonic

Nov 20, 2006
Cakemonster:

I've got my eye on the UD3 as well, if I decide to go full ATX.

I spent an hour or so last night looking over the manual and specs.

My only possible misgiving about it is the 4 pin fan headers and how they are controlled.

There are five 4 pin headers on the board: CPU, CPU opt, and 3 system fans.

The CPU header pins are designated as ground, 12 volt, sense, and speed

The CPU opt header pins and the 3 system header pins are all designated as ground, speed, sense, and VCC.

Does that mean that ONLY the CPU fan header is controllable by PWM and that the other 4 headers are controllable only through direct voltage control settings in the UEFI??

That would seem to comport with complaints I've seen about earlier generations of Gigabyte boards not having PWM control on all 4 pin headers.

Do you agree with my thinking or am I missing something? I'm no expert on pin designations or terminology.

I did note that the manual for the similar but more expensive UD5 uses slightly different terminology for the pins on the fans, but I don't know if that is carelessness or a meaningful difference.

I saw an MSRP on this board of $165, but haven't seen it stocked anywhere. The UD5 appears almost identical other than dual Intel LAN and a couple more SATA ports---for I think about $25 more.

The other board I hope to get details on is the micro ATX AsRock Z170M OC Formula, but I don't think it has even been confirmed, let alone introduced. It should be maybe $135 and I certainly don't need full ATX.

Is eSATA extinct on Z170 motherboards? I haven't seen any.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
I'll be going for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 which seems to fit my needs perfectly with no extra fluff.

I'm looking for HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 to future proof as much as possible. The board you cite has neither. Gigabyte only has two MB's with HDMI 2.0 and some version of HDCP.

You stated Alpine Ridge. I didn't see that mentioned in the specs you referenced.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
There are five 4 pin headers on the board: CPU, CPU opt, and 3 system fans.

The CPU header pins are designated as ground, 12 volt, sense, and speed

The CPU opt header pins and the 3 system header pins are all designated as ground, speed, sense, and VCC.

Does that mean that ONLY the CPU fan header is controllable by PWM and that the other 4 headers are controllable only through direct voltage control settings in the UEFI??

That would seem to comport with complaints I've seen about earlier generations of Gigabyte boards not having PWM control on all 4 pin headers.

Sorry, I have no idea about this either. Not my area of expertise.

I'm looking for HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 to future proof as much as possible. The board you cite has neither. Gigabyte only has two MB's with HDMI 2.0 and some version of HDCP.

You stated Alpine Ridge. I didn't see that mentioned in the specs you referenced.

Will you use the IGP? I will never on this PC anyway, so I don't personally see any point in futureproofing it. If I did I would be more concerned with DP than HDMI 2.0 though.

As far as I know Gigabyte got first access on Alpine Ridge, and all their cards use it.

frankpc

Jan 28, 2012
Will you use the IGP? I will never on this PC anyway, so I don't personally see any point in futureproofing it. If I did I would be more concerned with DP than HDMI 2.0 though.

As far as I know Gigabyte got first access on Alpine Ridge, and all their cards use it.

Yes. I plan to use IGP. I believe only two of Gigabyte's boards use Alpine Ridge One is the G1 and the other is Gaming 7. But I haven't gotten Gigabyte to confirm those MBs comply with HDCP 2.2. They are rated for HDMI 2.0.

The only other way to get HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 is with a GTX-960 video card. And, like all Nvidia-based cards, that card does not handle DSD. So, I plan to hold off going further until a MB manufacturer states their MB complies with those things.

I just bought a new Sony 940C, and it does not have DP. Nor does my Denon 7200wa AVR. So for me, DP won't happen for years. However, the MegaChip does convert from DP to HDMI on the MB as is done on the two Gigabyte MBs. So for me, that is or will be the answer.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
The alpine ridge is only really there for Thunderbolt, the USB performance is great on my board with asmedia. I'm getting the constant full 100MB/s+ speed of my external drive instead of having it slow down to 60MB/s like it did with my old add in card.