Skylake Pentium G4400 Overclocking

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If BOINC use AVX2 it could be the problem, the CPU cant use AVX2 if overclocked for TDP reasons, ASUS Z170-A overclocking bios disable thoses instructions...

http://www.hardware.fr/focus/105/i5-6400-4-5-ghz-retour-oc-intel.html

Abwx, try to keep up. I'm using a G4400, which DOES NOT have AVX or AVX2 instructions, and as I've posted earlier in this thread, my motherboard is an ASRock Z170 Pro4S.

So, IMHO, I think that some of the people that claim that your only purpose in this forum is to spam hardware.fr articles, might be correct, seeing as your response in this thread, had very little to do with... this thread.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, pretty good article, I was able to pull out the technical "gist" even though it was in French.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Abwx, try to keep up. I'm using a G4400, which DOES NOT have AVX or AVX2 instructions, and as I've posted earlier in this thread, my motherboard is an ASRock Z170 Pro4S.

So, IMHO, I think that some of the people that claim that your only purpose in this forum is to spam hardware.fr articles, might be correct, seeing as your response in this thread, had very little to do with... this thread.

I thought that it had thoses instructions, so no, i m not spamming at all, or eventualy only in your imagination...

But anyway thanks for the info, apparently instructions based segmentation is still existent with this gen..

SuperJaw

Jan 10, 2016
Hey, I just wanted to say props for having an interesting hobby. It's kinda weird that you have to defend it.
I do the same thing with cheaper parts. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy them... I get more satisfaction out of the research, setup, capability testing and building then having a machine stay steady state for 4-5years.
Long term use isn't really the priority, it's getting a new hardware fix on a shoe string budget. Then moving on to the next project. Building 3 to 5 i5/i7 rigs a year as a hobby is big $$$.
Personally, I'm running an i3-6100 on a cheaper Z170 board, but will likely upgrade to some sort of quad when one comes along for the right price. But will likely play around with some m.2 drives in the meantime since I have 2x 32gb/sec slots. Eventually all my rigs end up pretty high end as I find cheap upgrades. But upgrading is way more fun IMHO that going straight for top tier (even if it doesn't make perfect economic sense).

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@ VirtualLarry

What is your current BCLK with the OC ??

Well, I did more testing with my first Z170 / G4400 rig. I settled on 130.0 BCLK, 4.290Ghz, 2600 RAM, 1.300V (BIOS).

So when I set up the second rig, I just went straight to that setting as well. I guess I could tweak the second rig a bit and see what I can get.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey, I just wanted to say props for having an interesting hobby. It's kinda weird that you have to defend it.
I do the same thing with cheaper parts. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy them... I get more satisfaction out of the research, setup, capability testing and building then having a machine stay steady state for 4-5years.
Long term use isn't really the priority, it's getting a new hardware fix on a shoe string budget. Then moving on to the next project. Building 3 to 5 i5/i7 rigs a year as a hobby is big $$$.
Personally, I'm running an i3-6100 on a cheaper Z170 board, but will likely upgrade to some sort of quad when one comes along for the right price. But will likely play around with some m.2 drives in the meantime since I have 2x 32gb/sec slots. Eventually all my rigs end up pretty high end as I find cheap upgrades. But upgrading is way more fun IMHO that going straight for top tier (even if it doesn't make perfect economic sense).

Thanks. I feel the same way.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Well, I did more testing with my first Z170 / G4400 rig. I settled on 130.0 BCLK, 4.290Ghz, 2600 RAM, 1.300V (BIOS).

So when I set up the second rig, I just went straight to that setting as well. I guess I could tweak the second rig a bit and see what I can get.

ok thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm starting to wish that I had in fact purchased the i3, but at the time, I really didn't have the funds to spare. (Nor did I have the funds to spare, purchasing the second Z170 mobo, either, but I sort of managed. Thank goodness for my stash of Ramen.)

Trying to cut back my spending in Feb. Maybe I'll get an i3 or an i5, but I really just want a G3900 Celeron. (Oh how I wish that Intel released a Celeron or any under $70 CPU with the HD 530 iGPU. That might be something to play with, and I'm guessing, most web-browser / desktop workloads, would benefit more from the bigger iGPU, than more L3 cache or a few Mhz faster CPU core.)

Edit: Update. I tried 135.0 BCLK on my second rig, at 1.300V, and it seems stable. That's 4.455Ghz. Not too shabby.

So I tried that setting on my first rig, and it started freezing up, even in BIOS. I finally was able to get in and juiced it up to 1.325V.
OOPS. A STOP 0x9C BSOD. Guess it doesn't like that. Let me try 1.350V on the first rig.

Also, I just noticed, CPU-Z is telling me that my memory is in "Single" channel, but it's showing the correct 8GB size, of both sticks. I put both sticks into the two slots nearest the CPU. Is that not channel A/B? Do I need to put them into slots 1 and 3, or something? Weird.

Edit: I do need to put them into slots 1 and 3. Didn't realize that. Also, manually set the DRAM timings for 2520 RAM, to 16-16-16-36, same as the XMP 2400 timings. (Actually setting XMP will disable BCLK OC.)

Edit: I got a STOP 0x101 BSOD on the first rig, with 1.340V and 135.0 BCLK (4.455Ghz). So I'm reverting that box to 130.0 BCLK (4.290Ghz), and 1.300V. It seems stable there, doesn't seem to want to run at 4.55Ghz at any reasonable voltage.

Last edited: