Skylake -E...when?

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
As the title says, any idea when this is expected to come? I suppose, since Broadwell - E just made it to the market, its at least another year or more until Skylake - E?

I just read quite a nice review of 6800k on Czech server by infamous OBR and not surprisingly, OCing is bit of an issue compared to Haswell - E. Could get it to 4,4GHz only with 1,5V... suggesting this is down to 14nm process not being mature enough and this to improve with Skylake - E.... so i keep wondering, if i shall wait for that?

Or do you think there is going to be another stepping for BW-E? I read somewhere Haswell - E was like this at first as well, the first samples could not be OC-ed to 4,5GHz and more easily like the latest ones...was there another revision?

That said, 6800k at even 4,2 GHz, which should apparently be doable just fine with even air cooling, at 1,25V in his case, gives in Cinebench 11.5 score of 14,3...which is decent - pretty much on par with stock 5960x.

Last edited:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Second quarter of 2017 for Skylake-X (aka Skylake-E).

Thanks...thats closer than i thought. I wonder if we see drop in prices by then cause of Zen... maybe i shall wait. Would be annoying to get 6-core BW-E now, only to have 8-core Skylake for same price say 9 months later... or even 10-core for 1000, under assumption that the top Skylake for 1800 may be 12-core...
what do you think are the chances of this to happen?

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks...thats closer than i thought. I wonder if we see drop in prices by then cause of Zen... maybe i shall wait. Would be annoying to get 6-core BW-E now, only to have 8-core Skylake for same price say 9 months later... or even 10-core for 1000, under assumption that the top Skylake for 1800 may be 12-core...
what do you think are the chances of this to happen?

Skylake-X will be up to 10 cores, so sayeth BenchLife.

Anyway, if you can wait I suggest waiting. Skylake-X will come with a better platform (Kaby Lake PCH), better CPU cores, and more PCIe lanes. But if you want something now, you can't go wrong with Broadwell-E.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Buy now or wait also depends on your needs and what you use it for and what you currently are running. For Gaming I would just go with mainstream platform. Faster quads are just better at gaming and you get a newer platform. So yeah, broadwell-e isn't very attractive. Wait for Skylake-E or go mainstream skylake now.

Aug 11, 2008
I agree. If you absolutely want to upgrade to the "HEDT" platform now, just get Haswell-E or Broadwell-E, whichever is cheapest. Unless you want the 10 core monster, BW-E shows little or no improvement over HW-E.

Best to wait for Skylake "HEDT" if you want (need) more than 4 cores. Hopefully it will at least have some gain in IPC and overclock better than BW-E, which seems to overclock worse than HW-E, from the few data points I have seen.

Of course, if Intel saw fit to make a hex core mainstream platform, enthusiasts would not face this dilemma.

Edit: I would not count on a price drop though, especially after the reaming Intel gave us on BW-E. Hopefully, Zen will at least keep them from raising prices and maybe encourage Intel to produce a mainstream hex core with Cannonlake, but I doubt they are going to drop prices.

Last edited:

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I've been told there is no Skylake-X, it will be just Kabylake-X. With the name-skip comes a new LGA 2XXX socket. Which just so happens to come with a brand spanking new FIVR architecture. Which just so happens to be a Hybrid model using multiple techniques like DC-DC and LDO, etc.

Cannonlake[Canned] -> Icelake
Skylake-E[Canned] -> Kabylake-X -> Icelake-X

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So no HEDT skylake or kabylake is what you're saying? I could understand no HEDT kaby, but no HEDT skylake seems like a missed oppertunity.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
So no HEDT skylake or kabylake is what you're saying? I could understand no HEDT kaby, but no HEDT skylake seems like a missed oppertunity.

He is wrong as always. It will use the kaby-lake PCH but will be different. Kabylake-X is are the K-versions of mainstream, eg. 6700k and 6600k which will be released after non-k kabylake and at same time as Skylake-e. So at that point you wan't have the huge feature difference from the chipset were mainstream was way ahead of HEDT. On the otherhand Kabylake K-versions could easily be released several month earlier (unless there is an unknown surprise this time around like edram for K-version or better OCing like devils canyon.)