Skinable PCI -or- PCIe TV Tuner Card

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'm looking for a PCI or PCIe TV tuner card. Prefer PCI but I'll take what I can get. I've looked around a bit and would settle for some old BT878 NTSC card if I had to, but of course ATSC, ClearQAM would be a bonus. No need for hardware encoding, a remote, no MCE support needed or anything else much except:

Primary requirement is it has a skinable software interface, I mean the primary controls for channel, volume, display of what channel it is, etc. It does not need to have a 10 ft GUI at all, none of the fancy HTPC multimedia center type functionality is needed, just the tv viewing window and a skinable remote

By skinable I don't mean I can pick among a few included skins, I mean can design one that rearranges the buttons and such, not just different bitmaps over the same skin hotspots. This is for an elderly, half blind person who is not computer or TV card savvy, needs what looks like a vertical common TV remote control on-screen instead of an alien VCR blob type everything seems to have now. A physical remote control is not a solution, it needs be on screen. I'd love to find one with this skin, but would just redesign one if the software will allow for it.

I have seem a couple, ChrisTV for example claimed skin support years ago but nothing materialized. Leadtek's cards have a few skins but nobody has a skin designer or info to rearrange buttons and add or remove typical features.

I do have a few TV tuner cards and would consider buying software separately, or another card as needed, if it means ending up with the above requirement.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Good luck with that.

I don't think what you are looking for is a specific card but more likely an open source viewing program such as DScaler or something else. Do some google searching for open source tuner software and you may or may not find the skinning flexibility you want.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Thanks... I've looked, no luck so far. Can't believe something that "seems" such a simple request, wouldn't be out there somewhere. Once upon a time ago even Intervideo supposedly had a skin creation tool but it's also nowhere to be found (and AFAIK was for WinDVR which they seem to have abandoned).

Unfortunately even image searching for TV capture software doesn't pull up many pictures of the software, nor do many manufacturers product pages, or at least not what I'm looking for.