SK8N/FX 51

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Does anyone have any experience with this configuration at all? I just got my box up today and I'm wondering what I should expect (good/bad), and if anyone specifically has had experiences with this mobo. Here's how the box is configured:

FX 51
Asus SK8N Bios ver 1004
1GB PC3200 DDR Registered ECC RAM
2x36GB SATA 10k RPM Raptors striped
FX 5950 Ultra
Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Plextor PX708a

Thus far, OCing hasn't been the most successful, but I haven't had it very long (obviously), and I believe I haven't really had a chance to burn it in some (I'm running at 212MHz FSB).

Initial benchmarks are as follows:

Sandra 1
Sandra 2
Sandra 3

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
sandra scores are a bit worthless...Nice memory scores though...

2.4c@3.5ghz

Cpu 10819/7898
MM 27129/38204
mem 5792/5763

I am way above you but I am no where near that far ahead in real world...Just compare those number to athlon64 users....

Also "burn-in" is a bunch of crap!!! No such thing....Even the engineers who build and design these things keep saying repeatedly this is false and defies logic....

I think it wont oc much so don't expect it....The boards are immature and the yields are relatively new...I have seen a few 2200's though...

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
The FX 51 is a 2.2GHz CPU, so that's baseline anyway.

Anything new needs a burn in time when it's to be used on a constant basis (thermal paste is a basic example, a car is another), and it's been shown time and again that better yields are received after the CPU has had a chance to work itself.

Sorry, but that seems like a bunch of misinformation, imo.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: RoninCS
The FX 51 is a 2.2GHz CPU, so that's baseline anyway.

Anything new needs a burn in time when it's to be used on a constant basis (thermal paste is a basic example, a car is another), and it's been shown time and again that better yields are received after the CPU has had a chance to work itself.

Sorry, but that seems like a bunch of misinformation, imo.

I was thinking 2ghz for some reason and most saying they can only get about 200mhz....

the burn in explanation is not crap and I would like to see your credentials that trump the ppl here who build and design them with their 4 plus years in electrical engineering that say it is not true and a total myth...

explain it to me OLD WISE ONE!!!!

LOL...the theraml paste argument is absolutely stupid!!! Stop it you are embarassing yourself....

Edit:

Burn in???

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
12 years of computer building/troubleshooting/analysis should be enough. Your responses are rude, and not appreciated. Please don't respond further to this thread.

Anyone that has meaningful input to the original content to this post, please feel free to post.

I would like to mention that what you linked to states that running a CPU at an elevated voltage has not been proven to increase the speed of the CPU. This is not the 'burn-in' period I was talking about. I was talking the initial period when you have a CPU that it's generally a good idea to let it settle before you attempt to blow it up via OC.

And btw, if you check several OCing forums, you will note that it does take time for the thermal compound to settle and it WILL disipate heat better after a period of time.

I'll take my experience over your ramblings any time.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
12 years of computer building/troubleshooting/analysis should be enough. Your responses are rude, and not appreciated. Please don't respond further to this thread.

Anyone that has meaningful input to the original content to this post, please feel free to post.

I would like to mention that what you linked to states that running a CPU at an elevated voltage has not been proven to increase the speed of the CPU. This is not the 'burn-in' period I was talking about. I was talking the initial period when you have a CPU that it's generally a good idea to let it settle before you attempt to blow it up via OC.

And btw, if you check several OCing forums, you will note that it does take time for the thermal compound to settle and it WILL disipate heat better after a period of time.

No you are right the thermal paste does settle in with heat and over time but the comparison the electrical inter workings of a cpu was the bad comparison.....

I am sure others will respond and say same thing...I will sit back and watch!!!!

12 years of messing with computers?? Huh I have that and I don't know 1/100th what those guys know...I bet you haven't even read the link. That is an intel engineer there.....

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
To be honest, the application instructions/documentation that accompanies Arctic Silver Ceramique does mention a cure time.

LINKAGE
Due to the unique shapes and sizes of the particles in Ceramique, it will take a minimum of 25 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop slightly over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

Sorry Duvie, but the thermal compound experts disagree with you.

Edit: Darn, you already agreed to the compound breaking in... I'll butt out.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Duvie

No you are right the thermal paste does settle in with heat and over time but the comparison the electrical inter workings of a cpu was the bad comparison.....

I am sure others will respond and say same thing...I will sit back and watch!!!!

12 years of messing with computers?? Huh I have that and I don't know 1/100th what those guys know...I bet you haven't even read the link. That is an intel engineer there.....

You have 12 years, eh? Based on the way you've commented thus far, I'd venture that makes you about 14 years old.

If you follow what I've said, you'll realize you're arguing an invalid point, because your point coincides to something I never said, or even alluded to.