Six years later and Crysis still dips below 60 fps in certain spots

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
What is odd though is like Adam I see low GPU and CPU usage in spots where it is slowing down. No core maxed out.

Also, I do not get saying they did not know what they were doing ?! To this day there are still only a dozen or so games that look as good or better, and they made some of those too. :)

Apart from your first 3D game there has never been a wow moment like Crysis since, just gradual improvements in small steps. Going pre-Crysis Far Cry was the closest to it, and they made that too!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
What is odd though is like Adam I see low GPU and CPU usage in spots where it is slowing down. No core maxed out.

Also, I do not get saying they did not know what they were doing ?! To this day there are still only a dozen or so games that look as good or better, and they made some of those too. :)

Apart from your first 3D game there has never been a wow moment like Crysis since, just gradual improvements in small steps. Going pre-Crysis Far Cry was the closest to it, and they made that too!

For me going from software rendered Quake1 to GLQuake was a bigger HOLY CRAP moment :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Decided to play through Crysis again. Not modded! 2560x1600 all settings maxed. 64-bit executable.

I see two problems there:
  1. use the 32 bit version as it runs faster.
  2. drop object quality to high; performance will be higher in the spots you mentioned with only a marginal loss of IQ.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I see two problems there:
  1. use the 32 bit version as it runs faster.
  2. drop object quality to high; performance will be higher in the spots you mentioned with only a marginal loss of IQ.

Those were two of the things I tried. I didn't see a difference between 64-bit or 32-bit performance. It did seem that the problems were related to the huge amount of object I was looking at. I dropped the object detail to high, but I noticed objects popping in fairly close when moving. Mostly bushes and trees. The framerate still dipped down a bit in the problem areas.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Wow, that's a whole lot of useless info there Stringjam. Although I don't agree with "they didn't know what they were doing", they could have been more forward thinking and pushed Physics/Sound processing on other threads to make use of other cores in the future.

Experiment: Use 2 (or more) monitors, keep the game running on one, and CPU/GPU usage graphs on the other. You'll notice that on areas that experience slowdowns, the GPU usage is low while CPU usage shows one core being maxed.

Processing architecture went in a completely different direction after the game was released; no more Ghz wars, but instead it was "lets-slap-as-many-cores-as-possible". Games that pushed the limits of a single core chip will forever be bottlenecked as long as CPUs move in this direction.

Crytek did accomodate this change in architecture direction. They just put the work into their engine, not one specific game.

marcolopes

Nov 21, 2020
SOLUTION!

Apparently Nvidia managed to introduce a bug in their drivers, which made Crysis 3 stutter and even have severe framedrops. The solution is to enable Ultra low latency mode in the Nvidia control panel. In this clip you can see, just how much the game stabilizes in the frametime graph in upper right corner, once Ultra low latency is activated. As a side note, setting it to "on" doesn't do the trick, it needs to be set to "ultra"!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
SOLUTION!

Apparently Nvidia managed to introduce a bug in their drivers, which made Crysis 3 stutter and even have severe framedrops. The solution is to enable Ultra low latency mode in the Nvidia control panel. In this clip you can see, just how much the game stabilizes in the frametime graph in upper right corner, once Ultra low latency is activated. As a side note, setting it to "on" doesn't do the trick, it needs to be set to "ultra"!

- A magnificent necro sir. Magnificent!

Lotta names in this thread that I have not seen for a long time...

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I played through Crysis 3 again and it both looks and runs perfectly, easily comparable to any modern game.

Crysis 1 is CPU bottlenecked like a lot of old games, and some levels like the VTOL one run poorly on anything.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I played through Crysis 3 again and it both looks and runs perfectly, easily comparable to any modern game.

Crysis 1 is CPU bottlenecked like a lot of old games, and some levels like the VTOL one run poorly on anything.

-Played through Crysis and Warhead on my sig rig a while ago and the games were extremely playable at all times, even the VTOL level.

Granted I wasn't pulling down 200 fps or something, but the game was consistently in the 60+ territory and felt super smooth to play.

Should play through C2 & C3 here some day...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
@AdamK47

LOL seeing how this is a necro... Adam you still have issues running crysis on a 3090?
I loaded it up for fun and giggles, and noticed it runs better with mods and higher res texture then vanilla, and most definitely need to mod the cfg file so i can get my ultrawides to uncork its full resolution.

Lotta names in this thread that I have not seen for a long time...

Sigh indeed.
At one point in time we had our own guild here for multi platforms, and it was fun pointing voices to screen names.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have not tried it. Been in Hawaii for the past three weeks. Remastered and non-remastered are not multi-core optimized. If anything, I believe my overclocked 11900K would show gains.