Six Groups of Americans and How They Are Faring - ACA

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The poor are slightly better off. They work hard, are underpaid, but at least they can go to a doctor now.

The middle class is still under tremendous stress, white and blue collar jobs are not as prevalent as they once were, those who are gainfully employed are less secure/stable vs the engineers or assembly workers of the 1950s or 1960s.

The extremely wealthy are living like aristocrats in 18th century France. Completely disconnected from their humanity, and from life in general.

Remarkable where 35 years of Job Creator freedom, liberty, tax cuts & deregulation have taken us, huh?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
No; the ACA's main purpose was to reduce the number of uninsured in America; in that it's obviously succeeded. And if red states had expanded their Medicaid coverage under the ACA, many millions more would be covered.

A secondary purpose of the ACA was to reduce health care costs. But pretty much everyone knows that unless we go to a single-payer system, our free-market brand of health care will continue to be the most expensive in the world. And I'm sure everyone who criticizes the ACA for NOT significantly reducing health care costs is going to get behind a single-payer system. :rolleyes:

In fact, the rate of increase of health care costs has gone down since the ACA was enacted (if you look at the slope of the graph, you'll see it's somewhat less on the right). And as a side-benefit, premium increases have gone down as well. But these may or may not be consequences of the ACA.

So why do they call it the AFFORDABLE CARE ACT ( ACA )? Because it wasn't intended to make healthcare AFFORDABLE?

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
You deny them insurance and access to proper care. What do you expect to happen.

People around here go to Vanderbilt Medical for that type of thing, when they have no insurance, they provide free treatment.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
They get only limited care, not the full treatment they need to survive the cancer. They are forced to spend every penny they have. They are left broken, bankrupt, and for dead.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Hospital is only required to stabilize you so you can be discharged. If you got cancer, your problem, until you are dying and cannot be stabilized, then you can come in and get "full care", which at that point will be pain management until you expire.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Hospital is only required to stabilize you so you can be discharged. If you got cancer, your problem, until you are dying and cannot be stabilized, then you can come in and get "full care", which at that point will be pain management until you expire.

Some people think that someone with cancer can go to the Emergency Department, say they have cancer, and get chemo, radiation, and other meds.

Because they have no idea how hospitals actually work, because they don't actually care.

They got theirs. Go die in a gutter, chump.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
My brother in law had cancer, no insurance at all and no savings. Medicaid took care of his surgery medicine everything for over 10 years...

This is way before the stupid ACA.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
You can pay $474 a month for health care which is equal to monthly car payments.

Hmm pay a monthly car payment or not have a job to go to because of no car and no public transportation nearby. ACA sucks.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yeah.

But instead of thousands of pages of new laws, and many many more thousands of new regulations I think we could have simply expanded Medicaid to the poor and to those with serious pre-existing conditions.

Fern

This is comedy gold, especially coming from Fern.

I hate to break it to you Fern, but you do realize that the ACA included expanding Medicaid programs, but after the USSC made it optional, most of the GOP states refused to participate, thereby knowingly and willingly screwing over millions of their poorest constituents.

The irony that Mr. Right Wing Fern will proclaim that we should have just expanded a program instead of the ACA, when Fern's own party who he so blindly supports, went out of their way to not participate in the existing program and screw over their own people.

Do you ever learn what you are talking about before spouting the party line?

Do you ever get embarrassed when you show how ignorant you are in front of everyone on the forums here?

Following the Supreme Court ruling in NFIB v. Sebelius, several states with legislatures or governorships controlled by Republicans opted to reject the expanded Medicaid coverage provided for by the Act. Over half of the national uninsured population lives in those states.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
My brother in law had cancer, no insurance at all and no savings. Medicaid took care of his surgery medicine everything for over 10 years...

This is way before the stupid ACA.

It wasn't because of his cancer, because having cancer isn't a qualification for medicaid.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It wasn't because of his cancer, because having cancer isn't a qualification for medicaid.

Cancer is a disabling sickness. Disability is a qualifier for Medicaid. Are you slow? Why do you think they covered his expenses?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Where did Fern go? He once again exposed his total ignorance and has bailed from the thread because he once again was outed as being clueless?

Gee, never seen him do that before.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Where did Fern go? He once again exposed his total ignorance and has bailed from the thread because he once again was outed as being clueless?

Oh I am sure he is just waiting to see where you finally plant the goalposts.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

IDK but I'm thinking you'll regret that.

Goalposts? We have goalposts?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Cancer is a disabling sickness. Disability is a qualifier for Medicaid. Are you slow? Why do you think they covered his expenses?

You are 100% wrong, cancer it self is not a qualification for disability. Also having a disability is NOT a qualification for medicaid. That is wrong, You really are stupid. Most cancers are required to be in stage 4 to qualify for medicaid.

Medicaid also has a very low asset limit test before the ACA. The asset limit test was an absolute test, it didn't mater how disabled you are. You are limited to total asset of no more than $2,000. Even you cancer is stage 4 your total assets can't exceed $2,000. You are required to spend all of your savings, sell all of your non-essential possessions before medicaid will pay anything.

Idiots like you have no idea how disability and medicaid even works.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think we all knew that ACA was a "just the tip" move. We either need to fix this steaming pile of goat ass or just nationalize it and deal with shitty health care. We for sure can't leave it where it is.

I'm still convinced that was Obamas plan all along. Give us a new government run system, fuck it up, hope the people beg for full government control.

I still remember Sean Penns little plot from All The Kings Men.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
:( just had to pay $474 for my wife's "generic" prescriptions today. He employer's HDHP health plan paid zero.

Amazing how much of the cost has shifted to the employee vs the employer.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
:( just had to pay $474 for my wife's "generic" prescriptions today. He employer's HDHP health plan paid zero.

Not even close to amazing. More like Expected.
If everyone has to get coverage that means everyones coverage is gonna stink.

Obama did NOTHING to reduce the actual cost of health care. All he did was spread it around.
He didnt make any more doctors. Anymore nurses. Or clinics. Or hospitals. Or pharmacies.
He increased demand with absolutely no change in supply. A guy who went to Harvard AND Columbia should know all that does is raise prices.

In fact I think he did know, and he did it anyways.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

How did you think a high deductible plan would work? You are basically paying the cheapest possible premiums in exchange for catastrophic coverage only.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Uh...isn't that why it's called a high deductible? Not sure what drugs you were getting but $474 doesn't sound like a negotiated rate for generics.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You are 100% wrong, cancer it self is not a qualification for disability. Also having a disability is NOT a qualification for medicaid. That is wrong, You really are stupid. Most cancers are required to be in stage 4 to qualify for medicaid.

Medicaid also has a very low asset limit test before the ACA. The asset limit test was an absolute test, it didn't mater how disabled you are. You are limited to total asset of no more than $2,000. Even you cancer is stage 4 your total assets can't exceed $2,000. You are required to spend all of your savings, sell all of your non-essential possessions before medicaid will pay anything.

Idiots like you have no idea how disability and medicaid even works.

Yeah I guess you know it all MFer. I wasn't there when my brother in law was getting his Medicaid Disability Checks and his treatments paid for for more than ten years. Dumbass.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Yeah I guess you know it all MFer. I wasn't there when my brother in law was getting his Medicaid Disability Checks and his treatments paid for for more than ten years. Dumbass.

You are the dumbass who has no idea how medicaid works. Their is no such thing as medicaid disability checks. You are clearly making up shit or are very confused about the program your brother in-law was on. I know people who are actually on medicaid and SSI, and it is clear you don't know how these programs work.

You don't qualify for medicaid on cancer unless it is deemed terminal with treatment, and this is on top of the asset test, which you are totally ignorant of.

The fact that you don't even understand that medicaid has an absolute asset test before the ACA, is very telling of how dumb you are. Before the medicaid expansion, everyone on medicaid was subject to the asset testing.

Last edited: