Sirius or XM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
Ive had both. I canceled Sirius and have kept XM. Personally, I preffer the music and talk on XM, though the sports was better on Sirius. But to be honest, going either way is 100x better than regular radio.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: boomer6447
Originally posted by: Aves
Originally posted by: mxrider
Isn't one of those filing for bankruptcy or getting bought out or something?

They are merging.

It's not a merger...Sirius is buying XM...

Interesting since "merger" is the exact term Sirius is using.

SIRIUSmerger.com

Just because one is buying the other doesn't mean it isn't a merger.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Big Sirius guy here! I love Octane, Alt Nation, Lithium, Faction, and the rap stations 40, Shade 45, and 50.

New Country (60) is good, and not that twangy stuff, for when you got a girl in the car and want to cater. :p

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i've never used sirius, but its sounding liek its better. the sirius company actually loses more money than XM probably because they had to buy all that content.

I think XM actually has more music channels and that all i really listen to so i am pretty happy with it, it has baseball and f1 racing and a few other things that i've never used (the XM is built into my car so I'm not gonna sit in my car to listen to a baseball game....).

I'm pretty excited about the merger honestly sine they will have a la carte radio. its supposed to be $7 or something for just the music part... which is a savings of $6 over the current you have to buy it all plan.

Benthere

May 4, 2003
I have XM, I normally listen to cnbc for stock info. I'm ending my subscription because of all the XM commercials I have to listen to,Same commercial over and over.

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have Sirius. I just got it, and am very pleased. I know a few people that have both Sirius and XM (due to the type of car they purchased) and they sold me on Sirius.

Incidently, we just published an article on my website about it. You can check it out in the link below. Thought it's focused on the economics of their proposed a la carte service, rather than a review of the services which you are concerned with, I think it's worth reading ;-p

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i have XM, i like it

Yep. Beats the pants off of normal radio for travel. I drive a lot so it's really a god send. Nothing like sitting down in the car for a four or five hour drive and just listening to two Corsten sets or Above & Beyond or whatever is on.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i am not sure if siriius has family plans too, but XM does.

soo if you want to save some money you can sign up anyone you want as your "family" and they get the full xm service for $6.99 a month . you just need their radio ID.

I did this with a cousin though, i'm sure you could do it for anyone.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: hans007
i am not sure if siriius has family plans too, but XM does.

soo if you want to save some money you can sign up anyone you want as your "family" and they get the full xm service for $6.99 a month . you just need their radio ID.

I did this with a cousin though, i'm sure you could do it for anyone.

Last I checked, SIRIUS doesn't have 'family' plans, but you just add any extra receivers to the master account for $7/mo.

Jul 2, 2004
i am riding out the merger talk as well. Atleast trying too. I really want to listen to baseball games but i also want to hear football games so i am conflicted. Therefore, i wait until the merger is complete, or not.