Sir James Goldsmith Prophetic View on Globalazation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Shameless rip from Dan Carlin show...be nice if our politicians actually represented us...

http://youtu.be/4PQrz8F0dBI

"In this interview, Sir Goldsmith discusses the ramifications of free-trade agreements that were about to take place in 1994 (GATT), as you can retrospectively see, he correctly predicted many of the things that happened after that."

Whats the answer?

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
I listened to that Common Sense show also, it was definitely one of his better ones, although the last month or so has had some excellent shows. He was great in identifying the problems associated with NAFTA and global trading in general although I have doubts that a solution exists at this point...regional trading blocs of nations with similar economies and GNPs seem intriguing in theory but trying to put it in practice would be an exercise in folly I fear.
There was one line from that podcast that stuck with me, essentially stating that inflexible ideology is the enemy of finding solutions: "to have solutions you have to be devoid of fixed beliefs you can not change".

Oct 30, 2004
Shameless rip from Dan Carlin show...be nice if our politicians actually represented us...

http://youtu.be/4PQrz8F0dBI

I listened to the first part. It sounds like a great interview. What he said sounded like I've been saying on this forum for years--you can understand what's going to happen if you understand the concept of supply-and-demand and apply it to the labor market relative to capital.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I know, a quick review of our main trading partner makes you wonder why in gods name we would enter a deal with them..

1. No labor force parity at all
2. Openly steal our intellectual property (patent, trademark, and copyright infringement.)
3. Chinese currency massively undervalued
4. Industries with massive government subsidies. ( "They subsidize land costs, they forgive taxes, they subsidize fuel costs, and they also give a subsidy when you export.)
5. Continually guilty of dumping (producing exports and selling them in the U.S. below the price in China, or below what it costs to manufacture and ship abroad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.