Sins of a Solar Empire

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
After spending almost a full month with this game it grows more on me everytime I play it.

But as others have mentioned it does need some work in the AI department. The AI on Hard seems to think it's better to have his main fleet running around jumping back and forth between two dead asteroids than to send it back to defend his homeworld from pirates.

There needs to be more options in general with regards to the pirates, I think every map should have the option for no pirates, I would also like to see something that allows you to control the frequency of their attacks.

Haven't tried to map editor yet, that will be my next project.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: ayabe
After spending almost a full month with this game it grows more on me everytime I play it.

But as others have mentioned it does need some work in the AI department. The AI on Hard seems to think it's better to have his main fleet running around jumping back and forth between two dead asteroids than to send it back to defend his homeworld from pirates.

There needs to be more options in general with regards to the pirates, I think every map should have the option for no pirates, I would also like to see something that allows you to control the frequency of their attacks.

Haven't tried to map editor yet, that will be my next project.

There are several maps with no pirates but yes, you can seriously hinder an enemy with pirate raids early on. I quit playing a few weeks ago because it was too easy just waiting for the next patch to up the difficulty. The one thing they do great is they dont just make a very hard setting where the ai cheats and gets tons of bonuses, they actually do spend time to make the AI smarter which is a very good thing imo.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I tried this game several times at my cousins and just couldn't get into it without getting annoyed. I seriously hate the bomber runs the AI does, it just makes all my efforts seem futile.

I had a planet with 4 turrets, one of those defense structures that makes fighters, 2 Capital ships (with their own onboard fighters), around 10-15 fighters, maxed the planet defense upgrades, and Military researches. I believe I had other structures like the repairer things, but those didn't help much here.

Basically all the bombers warped in, destroyed my planet, warped out before I could even kill half of them. Then proceeded to do the same to the rest of my planets, one squadron took out 2 before I could kill them all, and by then they had a larger force with capital ships attacking my main planet. I am not sure if I like the idea of the logistic/tactical limits. I always end up building too much and can't get a trade network working by the time I have many things.

I pretty much gave up after that, considering I had pirates attacking me at the same time as well. I might give it another shot, but still way too annoying.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: vhx
I tried this game several times at my cousins and just couldn't get into it without getting annoyed. I seriously hate the bomber runs the AI does, it just makes all my efforts seem futile.

I had a planet with 4 turrets, one of those defense structures that makes fighters, 2 Capital ships (with their own onboard fighters), around 10-15 fighters, maxed the planet defense upgrades, and Military researches. I believe I had other structures like the repairer things, but those didn't help much here.

Basically all the bombers warped in, destroyed my planet, warped out before I could even kill half of them. Then proceeded to do the same to the rest of my planets, one squadron took out 2 before I could kill them all, and by then they had a larger force with capital ships attacking my main planet. I am not sure if I like the idea of the logistic/tactical limits. I always end up building too much and can't get a trade network working by the time I have many things.

I pretty much gave up after that, considering I had pirates attacking me at the same time as well. I might give it another shot, but still way too annoying.
lol, it starts pretty hard but as you play you get tactics down for instance right now I am playing 3 computers on hard all locked teams vs. me, you just need to learn turrets and planetary defenses really just buy you time, you need your fleet to protect the planet. There is a new patch sometime this week that will give the option to remove pirates and change other things.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006

You're doing it wrong.

Ok first off, looks like you are not upgrading your fleet logistics or planet tactical slots.
Fleet logistics is under the research tap, and allows you to increase the unit cap on your fleet but your lose a increasing percentage of resources as you upgrade.
Planet tactical/logistic slot upgrades can be accessed by clicking the planet then selecting the "upper left box" on the "lower right" menu on the HUD.

Make sure you're upgrading your planets infrastructure to increase the population so you get more taxes. When you first colonize a planet it will have a negative income, so never have more then 2 planets at any time with a negative income or you will stall your economy

Update to the latest version, siege frigates where nurffed somewhat.

ALWAYS bribe the pirates unless you want a small fleet to attack you every 15 minutes (timer extended in latest patch).

Also here is a static defense setup that will defeat any pirate raid and deter 70% of siege frigate rushes (that is what you where calling bombers from what i can gather) and wipe out the other 30% before you lose the planet.
1- 2 repair bays MINIMUM with overlapping coverage on your hangers/turrets
2- 4/6 hanger bays. Bombers are good vs heavy armor (eg, heavy cruisers) and Fighters are good vs light armor (eg, LRM frigates). I forget offhand what armor type siege frigates have, but fighters do more damage to them then bombers would.
3- Planetary shield if you are TEC and are getting bombed a lot), otherwise ignore this for single player
4- Spam as many turrets as you can fit in with coverage just reaching the surface of the planet and placed in locations where the AI's siege frigates will be bombing the planet from.
5- Max out bomb shelters to increase planet health.
6- Place trade stations in the middle of your defense as pirate bait.

Capitals only become worth the cost if they level up to higher levels. As they level up they do more damage and gain more shield/hull as well as unlock special abilities. If you are being hard pressed, frigates or heavy cruisers will be a better short term option as you get more bang for your buck right away.

Also expand towards choke points on the map when fighting the AI. It is VERY rare they will bypass a front line planet unless it has no structures to target. Pirates will attack the closest planet to the pirate base, they base this on number of jumps. When 2 or more planets are a equal distance away it will randomly chose.

Do NOT research at the expense of your fleets numbers. Shinny armor level 2 won't help you when he outnumbers you 3 to 1 (later when you start using heavy cruisers you can face superior numbers and win).

Build a trade port on each planet you own, the longer the unbroken link between planets with trade ports is the more money you will make (uncolonizable systems don't count).

-Edit- Oh and the patch is due any day now, i hope....

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Elcs
No Campaign?

Im not getting it. The campaign is what made the Homeworld games.

Graphics do not look like they have improved much over Homeworld2's either, viewing the HQ trailer. Perhaps its the "older games look great" feeling.

When I read the little thread blurb Space based RTS.... I thought Yes!!!! and reading the thread I feel depressed again.

I don't think the lack of a campaign hurts this game at all. Playing the skirmish modes in single player is just as good, and in many ways, much better than any campaign mode anyone could come up with for the game.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Krakn3Dfx
No Campaign?

Graphics do not look like they have improved much over Homeworld2's either, viewing the HQ trailer. Perhaps its the "older games look great" feeling.

When I read the little thread blurb Space based RTS.... I thought Yes!!!! and reading the thread I feel depressed again.

I don't think the lack of a campaign hurts this game at all. Playing the skirmish modes in single player is just as good, and in many ways, much better than any campaign mode anyone could come up with for the game.

so... is it a skirmish/multiplayer only space rts? interesting...

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: destrekor
No Campaign?

Yes, currently there is no campaign, but you can read the bulk of the storyline here http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/lore.aspx

It is believe that the modding tools due to be released in the next month will allow for scripting which will mean player made campaigns, on top of mods based on B5, star trek, star wars, battle star galactica, dawn of victory (book), Stargate, maybe even Firefly.

In about a year IC also plans on releasing a expansion that WILL include a campaign.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Originally posted by: destrekor
No Campaign?

Yes, currently there is no campaign, but you can read the bulk of the storyline here http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/lore.aspx

It is believe that the modding tools due to be released in the next month will allow for scripting which will mean player made campaigns, on top of mods based on B5, star trek, star wars, battle star galactica, dawn of victory (book), Stargate, maybe even Firefly.

In about a year IC also plans on releasing a expansion that WILL include a campaign.

I have the game, but I would like a campaign much more than just a Skirmish/MP mode as it is. Once i play through the Campaign, I like those options, but a game just doesn't draw me in without going through a well written campaign first.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy

You're doing it wrong.

Ok first off, looks like you are not upgrading your fleet logistics or planet tactical slots.
Fleet logistics is under the research tap, and allows you to increase the unit cap on your fleet but your lose a increasing percentage of resources as you upgrade.
Planet tactical/logistic slot upgrades can be accessed by clicking the planet then selecting the "upper left box" on the "lower right" menu on the HUD.

Make sure you're upgrading your planets infrastructure to increase the population so you get more taxes. When you first colonize a planet it will have a negative income, so never have more then 2 planets at any time with a negative income or you will stall your economy

Update to the latest version, siege frigates where nurffed somewhat.

ALWAYS bribe the pirates unless you want a small fleet to attack you every 15 minutes (timer extended in latest patch).

Also here is a static defense setup that will defeat any pirate raid and deter 70% of siege frigate rushes (that is what you where calling bombers from what i can gather) and wipe out the other 30% before you lose the planet.
1- 2 repair bays MINIMUM with overlapping coverage on your hangers/turrets
2- 4/6 hanger bays. Bombers are good vs heavy armor (eg, heavy cruisers) and Fighters are good vs light armor (eg, LRM frigates). I forget offhand what armor type siege frigates have, but fighters do more damage to them then bombers would.
3- Planetary shield if you are TEC and are getting bombed a lot), otherwise ignore this for single player
4- Spam as many turrets as you can fit in with coverage just reaching the surface of the planet and placed in locations where the AI's siege frigates will be bombing the planet from.
5- Max out bomb shelters to increase planet health.
6- Place trade stations in the middle of your defense as pirate bait.

Capitals only become worth the cost if they level up to higher levels. As they level up they do more damage and gain more shield/hull as well as unlock special abilities. If you are being hard pressed, frigates or heavy cruisers will be a better short term option as you get more bang for your buck right away.

Also expand towards choke points on the map when fighting the AI. It is VERY rare they will bypass a front line planet unless it has no structures to target. Pirates will attack the closest planet to the pirate base, they base this on number of jumps. When 2 or more planets are a equal distance away it will randomly chose.

Do NOT research at the expense of your fleets numbers. Shinny armor level 2 won't help you when he outnumbers you 3 to 1 (later when you start using heavy cruisers you can face superior numbers and win).

Build a trade port on each planet you own, the longer the unbroken link between planets with trade ports is the more money you will make (uncolonizable systems don't count).

-Edit- Oh and the patch is due any day now, i hope....
I did all of the first half. #1, 2, 4, 5. I had like 2 level 3 or so Capital Ships.

They warped oddly.
1-2
| |
3-4
They didn't attack the front line as I had thought as well. I have planets 1 and 2 here. 3 and 4 are dead asteroid areas, 3 being the choke point to get to my area. They went to 4 then to 2, instead of going to 1, which was my home planet.

Yeah I figure it is more numbers in this one than smaller and quality. I usually can't build trade ports as I usually have filled the logistics slots of atleast the main planet by the time the research hits that area.

I don't know. Like I said, I'll give it another shot, but meh.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
@vhx

If you are still having problems, try posting on the Sins forums, http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/
You will receive many different point of views and answers from people who have gone through what you are experiencing.

My final advice (with the current details) is restart the game on a small random map Vs a easy AI playing as the TEC. Sounds odd that the AI would be bypassing front line planets, never really had this happen as they would run into maxed out defenses (3 tiers for terran planets) or a fleet. Are you sure you have upgraded the tactical slots(i don't mean building things)? Also note that wormholes can be traveled through once you research the ability, this could explain why they are not attacking your front line planets.

Try placing some LRM's (set to hold position) within the repair bays field for added cheap firepower, the AI is also very cowardly so if you have a comparable fleet he will probably run away, defenses would also count. Focusing fire on the AI's capitals will also make him run away sometimes. I would hold off updating to v1.03 because they are fixing the AI which will result in a more challenging AI, ask beforehand if easy is still easy.

Another tactic wold be to just build repair bays for your rear planets if you feel there is a risk of them getting attacked. This will allow for 20 or so LRM frigates to face a superior force and win, it also means that you do not need to max out defenses on every planet. There is also a research ability to see ships phase jumping 1 or 2 (depending on research level) planets away which will give you advance warning.

Build 2/4 scouts and set them to auto explore, periodically replace these as they are lost for intel on what the AI is up to.

As for trade ports, make sure you have space for them or blow up a research station and place it elsewhere to ensure you have a unbroken link between planets (place your cursor over the the box that shows your current level of credits to show a white line representing the chain of trade stations). They are THAT important.

-edit- Thought of something, are there only 2 ways into your territory? You may have a planet right next to his territory but he'll slip in from the side if it's well defended.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I retract my earlier statement about this game not being that great.... it's awesome! I've been a huge fan of RoN, Empire Earth, Civ 1, 2, 4, and this game combines all of that into one incredibly fun experience.

I'm still figuring out the mechanics of the game and the computer is beating me pretty badly, but it's fun.

My only complaint remains that the combat itself is a little dull to look at... it would be nice to see it get jazzed up and see ships circle and flank each other.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
I retract my earlier statement about this game not being that great.... it's awesome! I've been a huge fan of RoN, Empire Earth, Civ 1, 2, 4, and this game combines all of that into one incredibly fun experience.

I'm still figuring out the mechanics of the game and the computer is beating me pretty badly, but it's fun.

My only complaint remains that the combat itself is a little dull to look at... it would be nice to see it get jazzed up and see ships circle and flank each other.

While increased ship movement is very unlikely to happen except in a major mod or expansion, there are currently mods out that will improve weapon effects, add more types/better looking planets as well as new ship skins (just the colors). You should check out the modding forum if you are interested.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
So, are there alot of people playing online? Do many of them rage-quit 30 minutes in?

I wanna get a copy after playing at my friend's last month, but too many bad memories from the old C&C/RA days that retards would just pull the plug as soon as things look bad.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
@sushicide

In public games, yes there is a problem with people quitting at the first setback. However there are various clans forming and it is more unlikely to have quitters when playing against people who took the time to take part in a clan. You can also tell people that they should not join if they are inclined to quit at the first setback.

If you are having problems hosting game with people of your play style (eg, no unit spamming, 30 minute no rush rule), there is a dedicated forum for organizing multiplayer matches http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/forum/455 , as well as the sins IRC irc.stardock.com #sins (Stardock Central also has a built in IRC chat that auto logs onto irc.stardock.com, just enter "/join #sins") where you can see who is active and up for a match. The dedicated Sins TS server info can be found here http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/167279 .

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
One big annoyance:
- When you play games against AI as a free-for-all, it really turns into AI vs Human. So, for instance, in my last two 4-player games I was being attacked by a 3 AI at the same time basically relentlessly.

Strebor

Dec 2, 2006
Trying to load Sins on a friend's laptop, Toshiba Satellite A105 (intel 945 graphics) running XP, and the game menu is solid white with no text. Saw that people were having this problem when running through Steam, but Steam isn't on this computer. Tried rebooting a few times, and versions 1.0 and 1.3. We managed to get into a game by clicking around and it plays ok otherwise, just very annoying not being able to see the menus. Anybody had to deal with this?

Thanks

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
After playing a few rounds (medium, FFA's averaging 5 hours a pop) I had to re-install Homeworld. Sin's is a good game but the gameplay has gotten stale for me already. I think it's because every game is such a massive commitment. One of the reasons games like starcraft and C&C (not to mention Homeworld) were fun is because they were easy to get into.

My favorite aspect of Sins are the massive fleet battles. Unfortunately, these require hours of time to get to. Then you build a nice fleet and the AI just keeps retreating. The only good stand up fight is against the pirate base.

One thing I really like about sins is the interface. Homeworld is clunky in comparison.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
@Strebor
The devs have stated that Sins will not be supported on Steam because it is A, a competitor and B, uses DRM that they are not willing to have placed onto their product. As for the problem persisting on a machine without steam, no idea. I have only heard this issue when steam is involved, you should email sins support so any issues can be fixed in the next patch (can't find the proper email, might want to ask on IRC since the forums are currently under a DOS attack -_- ).

@Dman877
You may like MP games on fast setting, which take around a hour give or take (small under, medium over). But sins isn't for everyone, if you can't stand the long games and slow pace, well SC2 is coming out soon (i hope).

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I edit my own map with 2 stars and 180 planets lol! It lags like hell!! This game is a very good tool to test your graphic card.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
playing a medium FFA against 3 hard AI on the new patch, so far i'm holding my own about 1hr in. A few skirmishes have proven the AI to be quite a bit less cowardly, though perhaps a bit stupid...one side let it's capital ship die needlessly which i was disappointed to see.

But it's going alright so far!

Oct 30, 2004

Does the game take advantage of dual core CPUs and have there been any problems with it running on 8800 GT's? Are any of you playing online multiplayer? Any sense of how hard or easy it is for the game to get modded?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
IIRC there is duel core support for shading or something, but it's minor. Apparently it's like building 2 games if you offer duel core and non duel core support so they never went that rout.

Also haven't heard any issues with any newish video cards, only problem that keep popping up is with vista (which there are fixes for i think).