Sins of a Solar Empire

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
oh man i just got back from a 3 humans vs 7 unfair AI's. That was pretty tough in the beginning..but after much coop defend and counter attack w/ extreme small windows of attacks (and after losing planets repeatedly), we were able the get the ball rolling.

I'm still in the process of a 10-player FFA against the game's unfair AI difficulty. So far I'm doing ok.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Just in case anyone else hasent discovered this, you can hit the "- and +" keys to speed the game up and make it up to 8x faster, so in case your just sitting waiting for credits etc you can hit the + key and watcht them roll in.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
The unfair AI is the same as the hard AI but it also gets something like a 30% bonus to all resources, thus making it unfair.

At least in theory.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Any idea if there's a multi-threaded patch in the works? This game starts chugging on large/huge maps after all the planets get colonized and every empire has 100's of ships.

The game only uses one core :(.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Man, after a couple of matches, I can't pull myself to keep playing. The total lack of a campaign killed the game for me :(

The saddest part is that they laid a good foundation for a campaign. I really liked the intro cinematic and the background story. I want to know what is chasing the Vasari. Oh well...

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
Cool, didn't know that.

Anyone play as the Vasari primarily?

Yeah, those kortul classes are badass! Way better than the other races capitol ships.

Originally posted by: Dman877
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Man, after a couple of matches, I can't pull myself to keep playing. The total lack of a campaign killed the game for me :(

The saddest part is that they laid a good foundation for a campaign. I really liked the intro cinematic and the background story. I want to know what is chasing the Vasari. Oh well...

Totally! It better not be something lame either, like an energy field from that experimental transport lab that blew up, that would suck. Maybe an evil race brought in from another dimension or something.

They mentioned that there may eventually be a campaign, maybe in a patch or the expansion. Thats why ive got the "buy this game" thing in my sig, i wanna support this game so it gets a campaign.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
The unfair AI is the same as the hard AI but it also gets something like a 30% bonus to all resources, thus making it unfair.

At least in theory.

It got a huge bonus in resources, free resources it seemed from the stat chart at the end of the game.
Unfortunately, it didn't make use of the resources. I was able to bottle it in with a stalemate, then grow my own army to take it out. Despite a massive resource advantage, it did nothign with it.

Oct 30, 2004

Is anyone else playing this online? Aside from playing with my UT99 friends over Hamachi, I've also been playing over the game's Ironclad Online network. Note that there's an IRC channel for the game itself:

irc.Stardock.net #sins

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I'm still debating on whether to buy this game or not. I played the demo and it was pretty neat. But I just can't rationalize playing this game for hours on end, I will just feel like I'm wasting my day away. I mean I guess I can always just save after an hour or two and continue later. Damn all these good games! I'm also looking to buy a PS3 and get GTA4, Rock Band, and GT5 when it comes out. Sigh... its hard being a geek and trying to have a social life/work out.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
So i'm struggling against 3 hard AI, locked teams, i'm Vasari. I have control of a decent chunk of the map and i'm off to one side so attacks are only coming from the "west", but am being pushed top middle and bottom by all three of them, plus one of the TEC has access to a wormhole taking them behind my front line planets :( Why the hell aren't they fighting each other more? MAN.

the pirate planet (inactive) is helping me by closing off a lane, which is fun, heh.

I guess i'll fortify a planet (10-15 missile launchers and 5 hangar defense with repair bays, or more) to hold back one of them, send my fleet to protect against the other two while trying to build more ships to raid with. I have to say I like the Vasari cap ships, as someone else mentioned. Powerful weapons, very tough and excellent abilites. The evacuator colonization ship has a Drain Planet ability at level 6, wow. Freakin' sucks a planet dry, it's awesome. And then *oops* colonized :evil:
Actually their regular ships are nice too eg the light frigate's self repair ability.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Vasari caps are good but I like the tec caps too. A kol with 2 or 3 points in forcefield backed up by a dunov with 2 or 3 points in shield restore is one tough nut to crack. The only difficult part is making sure the kol jumps in first so it gets the aggro. The devs really need to add a formation system to fleet tactics and improve the jump at once feature. Even with a fleet set to jump at the same time, I still get ships pointing the wrong way when the others jump.

EDIT: And as far as winning large/huge maps, the tec have it made with the novalinth canon. I'm playing a ffa right now against 9 hard ai (unlocked teams but I've managed to ally myself with almost all of them while I pick them off one by one) and I have 18 planets with a novalinth. I can literally take out every system that belongs to one of the other civs in one volley :).

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Played the demo again today for a few hours. Wish they would have put a timer so you know when the demo will end. About to send my fleet and oops, time up. I broke down and baught the game :( $32 shipped from best buy.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
Played the demo again today for a few hours. Wish they would have put a timer so you know when the demo will end. About to send my fleet and oops, time up. I broke down and baught the game :( $32 shipped from best buy.

I know it's a bit late, but it's 90 minutes per game, but you can play as many games as you like without the demo expiring.