Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity -- $21 this weekend

Oct 30, 2004
For anyone who has been considering getting Sins of a Solar Empire, you can get the game and the two expansions ("Trinity") for $21 this weekend.

http://impulsedriven.com/sinstrinity

This is a great 4x-RTS that's a lot of fun in online multiplayer (after you get up to speed). If you have any intention of purchasing the upcoming stand-alone Rebellion expansion, you'll save $10 on it if you purchase it as a download and already own Trinity, effectively reducing the Trinity price to $11.

Here's an earlier Sins thread where you can learn more about the game:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2146458

You can also visit the Sins forums:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They must be gettting close to releasing 2.0, this weekend they have it for $10.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
After 3 tries I finally did enjoy this game, but it was a big letdown seeing all the races have the exact same non-capital ships. They may look different and have different names, but they filled the same roles and I believe even had the same exact stats. Still a fun game though.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I tried SOSE based upon recommendations from the forum ... and then tried it again. I just cannot get into this game. I don't know what it is but it is just not enjoyable.

Disappointed, I started another game of Homeworld ...

Oct 30, 2004
After 3 tries I finally did enjoy this game, but it was a big letdown seeing all the races have the exact same non-capital ships. They may look different and have different names, but they filled the same roles and I believe even had the same exact stats. Still a fun game though.

They fill similar roles but they are actually very different. Some races have a better ship or cheaper ship in one class relative to the other races, and then their special abilities differ.

Oct 30, 2004
I tried SOSE based upon recommendations from the forum ... and then tried it again. I just cannot get into this game. I don't know what it is but it is just not enjoyable.

Sorry to hear that. Many Homeworld players moved on to Sins. What specifically did you dislike about it? Does it relate to your understanding of the game's mechanics? If the problem involves pirates on the Diplomacy expansion, just turn them off in the game settings.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They fill similar roles but they are actually very different. Some races have a better ship or cheaper ship in one class relative to the other races, and then their special abilities differ.

very much so. depending on which race you prefer, you end up depending on certain fleets of ships over others from the other races. the abilites are quite different--not that you see the actual damage type happening, and ships like the Advent Illuminator need to be micromanaged a bit to be completely effective, the real differences are in the damage calculations and skills of the player to use each one properly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

It took me 4 or 5 attempts and well more than a year to really get into it. The RT aspects of it make it kind of difficult, and I was relaly looking for something else--a campaign based, story-driven strategy game.

If you find yourself getting wiped out early on (As I always did), just try paying the pirates off to attack your rivals, or set up a 3x3 or 4x4 game a few times so that you have some allies to work with. that definitely helps when learning the mechanics.