Singularity comes so close to being a Half Life 2 level title

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Finished the game yesterday evening. It was a blast!
Great shooter with a nice story to wrap everything together. Fast paced, cool boss fights, nice weapons and upgrades. Cool stuff you can do with the TMD.

Steam says 8.6 hours of play time. Not that long but worth it.

If you can grab this title, don't hesitate.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
It's $10 now, I bought it, played 2 hours worth, then gifted it to 2 of my steam friends!

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Couldn't get myself to care about the story in it, I found myself rushing to the end. I felt the game lacked punch.

And yeah, that first scene isn't unlike Crysis 2.

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
By Half-Life 2 level, Do you mean Short(5hr+1+1 for each Episode), Bland(Gray everywhere), Un-inspiring(Oh great Another Alien Invasion), Gimmicky(Use Gravity Gun to Win!), Over Rated(10/10 OMG BEST GAME EVER!), with a Huge over zealous 'apple-like' fanbase to defend the Developer and it's games to the very death from any negative comments?

Amit3945

Jul 29, 2006
The level design, Military bases and all did give it a HL feel.....and I had a blast playing it.
Also it does have a kind of atmosphere that I like......Milatary base,mutants, time ravaged...etc.
It did the trick for me.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
I have a $10.00 rebate card from a recent hardware purchase.

Steam sale prices it at $10.20. Argh! :mad: :D That would have worked nicely. Will get it anyway, I think. What the heck. Use the card for a couple of $4.99 ones.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I recently started playing it. It reminds me of FEAR in the gameplay and graphics.
Story is fairly interesting but not a big fan of fighting the mutant monsters.

I thought they came in later but they're the 1st enemies you fight :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Like Bioshock, only fun?

:awe:

there's actually a lot I like about Bioshock--the art style, the powers system, fighting Big Daddy's, but it got very repetitive for me. I've yet to finish it...just can't bring myself to do it. :\

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Once you get the TMD, then it gets interesting. Kinda like HL2 & the gravity gun. The old skool Soviet atmosphere was pretty cool. Well worth the $$.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I'm about 3/4 of the way through this on 360. I think it would be better on PC but its really a pretty decent game. I would give it about an 8 - 10 if shooters are your thing. It certainly does the trick. Especially if you do what I do: And use it as a stop gap in between your major high end titles. Played this, switched to Crysis 2 when it arrived, finished Crysis 2, played this until Homefront arrived, etc. It's a serviceable B level title that feels pretty much like a cross between HL2 and Wolfenstein. Matter of fact, if anyone want's it on 360 I'll be done in a week or two. $15-$20 shipped.

mafia

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2008
By Half-Life 2 level, Do you mean Short(5hr+1+1 for each Episode), Bland(Gray everywhere), Un-inspiring(Oh great Another Alien Invasion), Gimmicky(Use Gravity Gun to Win!), Over Rated(10/10 OMG BEST GAME EVER!), with a Huge over zealous 'apple-like' fanbase to defend the Developer and it's games to the very death from any negative comments?

HL2 was at least 15 hours long and the episodes were both at least 4 hours each. You obviously haven't played any of them.

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Just an OT - would be a damn shame if Raven goes under. They've made some fantastic games over the past 2 decades (Heretic/Hexen/SOF/Jedi Knight etc.)

RisenZealot

Jun 8, 2011

OMG I've met my long lost brother on the anandtech forums. I agree completely man! HL2 is the most overrated game of ALL freaking time. It's been out how many years and I have yet to be able to force myself through that incredibly boring and stale game.

I'd take Quake II over HL2 any day of the week.

Seriously it's horrible. Oh look I get to stand here for 20 minutes in a fps watching some stupid in game cut scene and not being able to play. OH yes I can finaly shoot stuff for about 3 minutes before "OH NO" another stupid "oh look at us and our incredible physics based puzzles where you get to play see saw for 10 minutes".

Seriously Valve? I've been playing with see saws since I was in pre school on the playground. Contrary to popular belief most people stop having fun with them around I dunno, age 8?!

Half Life is the SOLE reason modern FPS can't touch the classics back in the day like Quake and Unreal. Now everyone has to have a crapy story that couldn't pass in a B rated movie all the while the actual gameplay suffers and is boring as all get out.

Half Life did to video games what the Beatles did to rock music. Yes I'm completely aware of the fact that based on your own opinion that could be the greatest thing or the worst thing ever lol.

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
TheMan(TM) gifted it to me on Steam. I played through it, LOVED it. I wish there were more replayability, but I loved everything about the game. Including sniping headshots with the minigun! :D

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
This game started out great,the deeper i got into it the more bored i got.paused, i will get back to it.