Singularity comes so close to being a Half Life 2 level title

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Almost done with my 2nd playthru of Singularity. I can't think of a game in the last few years that has come so close to meeting the feel of epic adventures like Half Life 2. The Raising the Pearl section especially is so amazing in its execution, the boss battles are all well done, and the story itself is really nice.

Can't recommend it enough if you're looking for a great sci-fi based shooter.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The game was really fun but I found the ending to be abrupt and short. I don't wanna give spoilers, but really, I thought the ending would be more epic.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
The game was really fun but I found the ending to be abrupt and short. I don't wanna give spoilers, but really, I thought the ending would be more epic.

I feel like what I sad was kind of a spoiler, so I've removed it.

You're right, but there are different endings, I guess that's safe, lol.

Last edited:

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Boy that looks pretty good. Right up my alley. Thanks. I don't know to trust half the people around here (no offense). I was told Metro 2033 was kind of like Stalker but I only got about half way through and never finished. It's not bad but a little meh...

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Boy that looks pretty good. Right up my alley. Thanks. I don't know to trust half the people around here (no offense). I was told Metro 2033 was kind of like Stalker but I only got about half way through and never finished. It's not bad but a little meh...

I don't think it's a trust issue, but people have really varying degrees of what they like. It's the Chevy vrs Ford syndrome :)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That's right, it's well known that anyone who doesn't agree with you has bad taste.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Got this game a few months back on a whim, really glad i did as it turned out to be a really enjoyable experiance.

Im actually suprised i had not seen any reviews of the game as its pretty well made.

Recommend it to anyone who enjoys HL2 linear type shooters with a good story.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Yeah, this game isn't bad. If you liked Bioshock 1 & 2, FEAR 2, Metro 2033, Timeshift, and/or Wolfenstein (the new one) you'll probably like this game.

It's main downside is that you get sort of over powered during the second half. I don't think I died once in combat for the last few hours of the game, although it took me a few deaths to figure out one of the puzzles. Then again, it does give you a cool sense of empowerment. Easily taking down hordes of enemies is its own kind of fun.

Not much replay value though, and even during Steam sales it's still somewhat pricey compared to similar games. Raven doesn't seem to like to discount their games too much for Steam, this is also the case with Wolfenstein which still sells for way more than it's probably worth.

Oh yeah... No AA available for AMD/ATI card owners IIRC. Unless, this is forceable with the new 6900s.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I ended up picking this game up to play over the weekend after seeing this thread, it was worth the money.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
I've had Singularity for a while now I just haven't installed it yet. Once I get done with Metro 2033 for the second time I'll give this one a shot and report back.

Apr 17, 2003
just got thru the game and I thought it was excellent. Nice blend of bioshock and HL2. Very stable too...not a single glitch or crash in the entire play through. Only complaint is that textures don't load properly at times.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This is a great game. Its post apocalyptic done right, as opposed to metro 2033 which was just a dark mess of a game. You can actually see what is going on in this game and in no time did I ever feel the need for a flashlight or any other crap. Its just good gameplay and fun to boot.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Finally beat it. Awesome game, definitely get it if its $20.00 or less.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Just bought it from Steam from work hahah!
After reading you guys and seeing the game was $30, I just jumped on it and clicked the buy button!

Gonna try this tonight!

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I'm still waiting for a sale D:. It was $15 recently for PS3 and 360, but I haven't seen such a price for PC.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Ok guys, I purchased it based off the recommendations in this thread and have JUST started. I alt-tabbed to point out that within the first 10 seconds I have

a) Been on a military chopper looking out the side door as we fly along on a covert mission
b) Seen the chopper by hit by magic, and the guy across from me sucked out. Big surprise.
c) Woken up after a chopper crash

I am still reserving judgement... but this is NOT a good sign! :)

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
d) have wandered into an abandoned evil schoolhouse on the first level, replete with sounds of children laughing, rubber balls bouncing around mysteriously, and flashbacks of children running and screaming.

Still, there's something interesting about it.

Graphics and controls scream CONSOLE.