Single thread performance more important?

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Been running a Ryzen 1500x @ 3.9 Ghz and was wondering if I made the right choice. I don't really multi-task much aside from listening to music while surfing the web. I was looking on the Passmark website at the ratings based on single thread performance and noticed that the older i3-7350K cpu scored about 500 points over my current cpu. I wanted to ask if it makes more sense for me to sell my ryzen cpu/mobo and get the i3-7350 and an lga 1151 mobo instead. I'm thinking it would be noticably faster than my current rig based on how I use it or am I wrong about this? Thanks.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I don't think you would see a difference based on what you said you use it for. I'd rather have the 1500X. Those extra threads will last you longer and even if you aren't using them background processes can put them to good use. The platform (AM4) should last longer as well.

At best, I think what you are suggesting sounds like a sidegrade to me.

Reactions: scannall

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
It perhaps would have made sense to get the i3-7350K in the first place, but I wouldn't sell what you have now to get it.

The difference isn't big enough to justify such a course of action in my view.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hopefully you also have a fast SSD, ehich will make a much bigger difference that the CPU will

Reactions: Yuriman
Jul 24, 2017
No, this is one of those differences that will show up in a benchmark but won't be noticeable in the use cases you describe. Either of those CPUs is "fast enough" for smooth desktop use.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Multi core performance is far more important these days. If you had an FX CPU, I would agree with you, but Ryzen has excellent single threaded performance.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
While I would normally say that the answer depends on your actual usage (good single threaded performance makes all things snappy, good multi-threaded performance makes specific large tasks far faster). However in this forum, most people answer instead based on their favored CPU manufacturer's current advantage (which may change over time, so your answer may change over time).

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
It perhaps would have made sense to get the i3-7350K in the first place, but I wouldn't sell what you have now to get it.

I agree.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
I don't think you would see a difference based on what you said you use it for. I'd rather have the 1500X. Those extra threads will last you longer and even if you aren't using them background processes can put them to good use. The platform (AM4) should last longer as well.

At best, I think what you are suggesting sounds like a sidegrade to me.

i3 7350K is 2C/4T, no matter how high you OC it it won't matter in new games. R5 1500X is a beast for this i3.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017

Did you even read what he wrote? We don't even know for what he needs ST beside watching YT, browsing and listening to music.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
i3 7350K is 2C/4T, no matter how high you OC it it won't matter in new games. R5 1500X is a beast for this i3.

OP didn't mention gaming, otherwise the 1500X would be the clear winner. Even still, it looks like everyone has recommended keeping the 1500X, myself included.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
OP didn't mention gaming, otherwise the 1500X would be the clear winner. Even still, it looks like everyone has recommended keeping the 1500X, myself included.

Yeah, I read what he said, but seriously browsing and listening music? You barely need CPU for that.. even A8 9600 should be overkill and with SSD it should be faster than any kind of PC with HDD.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Yeah, I read what he said, but seriously browsing and listening music? You barely need CPU for that.. even A8 9600 should be overkill and with SSD it should be faster than any kind of PC with HDD.

LoL isn't that the truth. That's why I think either CPU would be fine and recommended not throwing away money when you wouldn't notice a difference. You're right, an SSD would be money much better spent.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Did you even read what he wrote? We don't even know for what he needs ST beside watching YT, browsing and listening to music.
I read that someone was concerned about single core performance and responded accordingly.

Did you even read what he wrote?

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
LoL isn't that the truth. That's why I think either CPU would be fine and recommended not throwing away money when you wouldn't notice a difference. You're right, an SSD would be money much better spent.

Of course it is true. SSD and enough DRAM for extra (100+) tabs are most important,... do you guys know that browsers are getting multicore support?

I don't think that OP uses in such way, I think he just read to much stuff on THE Internet and cares to much about it...

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Of course it is true. SSD and enough DRAM for extra (100+) tabs are most important,... do you guys know that browsers are getting multicore support?

I don't understand what you are missing. Of course an SSD and RAM are great, but that's not what was asked. I also recommended they stick with the 1500X because it has more threads, and ST performance is plenty for what was mentioned.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Been running a Ryzen 1500x @ 3.9 Ghz and was wondering if I made the right choice. I don't really multi-task much aside from listening to music while surfing the web. I was looking on the Passmark website at the ratings based on single thread performance and noticed that the older i3-7350K cpu scored about 500 points over my current cpu. I wanted to ask if it makes more sense for me to sell my ryzen cpu/mobo and get the i3-7350 and an lga 1151 mobo instead. I'm thinking it would be noticably faster than my current rig based on how I use it or am I wrong about this? Thanks.
The only thing you'd notice is your wallet being much lighter. And that's about it. Keep what you have. If you have to spend a little money, get an SSD and a better video card if you can find one at a reasonable price.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Basically, OP, the only reason that you would want to make that (down)grade to the i3, would be if you were a huge StarCraft II player. That's pretty-much literally the only reason to go with a higher-clocked dual-core Intel CPU these days.

Reactions: Drazick and NesuD

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Guess I was just second guessing my decision because of all the YT tech videos I watch. I do have a nice fast SSD as my boot drive although I've been considering getting an Samsung NVME. Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think it would make a big difference for me considering how fast my system is right now. Thanks again.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You could side-grade to a Ryzen APU, but only if you wanted to pull out your video card, for power-consumption reasons. Which really isn't a good reason, the GTX1050ti sips power.