Singapore's response to CovID-19

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Huh, so effective government response can limit the speed and severity of this public health emergency?

Not surprised you don't really differentiate between "effective government" and "authoritarian government." In 2018, Singapore was ranked 151st by Reporters Without Borders in the Worldwide Press Freedom Index, but I guess to you that's a model for us to emulate? As @zinfamous stated it's a lot easier if you completely disregard any sense of civil liberties. Spitting gets you whipped, drug possession executed, and I guess coronavirus gets you keelhauled there?

• Love
Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Not surprised you don't really differentiate between "effective government" and "authoritarian government." In 2018, Singapore was ranked 151st by Reporters Without Borders in the Worldwide Press Freedom Index, but I guess to you that's a model for us to emulate? As @zinfamous stated it's a lot easier if you completely disregard any sense of civil liberties. Spitting gets you whipped, drug possession executed, and I guess coronavirus gets you keelhauled there?
You can have an effective emergency posture without having an authoritarian government posture. Quit being obtuse.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

My post was a snarky response to Starbuck repeatedly insinuating that the incompetence of the Trump administration's response didn't matter because every country was getting infections at a similar rate.

Why do you bother with this nonsense where you pretend that I've finally pulled off my secret authoritarian mask and revealed myself for the real Stalinist you always assumed I am? It's never going to happen, so you might as well give up on it.

Feb 4, 2009

Hey Glenn, should all us liberal guys head to Arizona for free virus screening and treatment?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You can have an effective emergency posture without having an authoritarian government posture. Quit being obtuse.

Maybe then you should learn from Bernie Sanders and not pick a poor example to praise (Casto's Cuba improved education!) when other non-authoritarian nations have handled it just as well. South Korea might be a good example. Yeah the U.S. government's response to date has been poor, but we should learn the proper lessons from other nations and you'll get precious few of those from places where social distancing could well be enforced by hanging in the town square for offenders.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Maybe then you should learn from Bernie Sanders and not pick a poor example to praise (Casto's Cuba improved education!) when other non-authoritarian nations have handled it just as well. South Korea might be a good example. Yeah the U.S. government's response to date has been poor, but we should learn the proper lessons from other nations and you'll get precious few of those from places where social distancing could well be enforced by hanging in the town square for offenders.
I've brought up SK multiple times as well. Honestly, taking emergency planning from EITHER would be better than what we have now.

That doesn't change the fact you're being a bitter little shit, and trying to take jabs at people's ideas to just improve things somewhat. How about being part of the solution, rather than part of the problem, for once.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I've brought up SK multiple times as well. Honestly, taking emergency planning from EITHER would be better than what we have now.

That doesn't change the fact you're being a bitter little shit, and trying to take jabs at people's ideas to just improve things somewhat. How about being part of the solution, rather than part of the problem, for once.

I have zero expertise to know what the "proper steps to be part of the solution" are at a macro level as I'm not an epidemiologist, public health policy expert, or anything similar where my opinion would be helpful. "Do a better job than Trump" is hardly constructive criticism and probably represents the limit of what I (or probably most of the other people on ATPN) are capable of contributing. That being said it's hardly Dunning-Kruger Effect to say what works in somewhere like Singapore with their civil rights record is likely to be very difficult to implement here for obvious reasons.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have zero expertise to know what the "proper steps to be part of the solution" are at a macro level as I'm not an epidemiologist, public health policy expert, or anything similar where my opinion would be helpful.
Duh. That's why we rely on our government to rely on expertise, rather than feelings and a desire to hide the truth.
That being said it's hardly Dunning-Kruger Effect to say what works in somewhere like Singapore with their civil rights record is likely to be very difficult to implement here for obvious reasons.
Still doesn't mean there aren't actions one can take. One might be to listen to the experts you pay rather than say the opposite of what they say to the nation.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have zero expertise to know what the "proper steps to be part of the solution" are at a macro level as I'm not an epidemiologist, public health policy expert, or anything similar where my opinion would be helpful. "Do a better job than Trump" is hardly constructive criticism and probably represents the limit of what I (or probably most of the other people on ATPN) are capable of contributing. That being said it's hardly Dunning-Kruger Effect to say what works in somewhere like Singapore with their civil rights record is likely to be very difficult to implement here for obvious reasons.
I case you were wondering this country has been heading towards authoritarianism. Worry about that

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Duh. That's why we rely on our government to rely on expertise, rather than feelings and a desire to hide the truth.

Still doesn't mean there aren't actions one can take. One might be to listen to the experts you pay rather than say the opposite of what they say to the nation.

I'm not defending Trump. While I realize there's a real need to avoid creating unnecessary panic he's also seemed to be completely out of touch for what those public health experts were telling him. From my limited and perhaps incorrect understanding the "best" approach for dealing with a situation like this is to shut down everything (i.e. "social distancing") to limit the spread but that's an extremely hard sell as you'll get precious little credit for what doesn't happen because you took strong measures. I'll readily admit some amount of apprehension about taking drastic measures after 9/11 since many of them seemed to either be misguided or counterproductive. It's a fine line to walk, and of course Trump is probably the worst person to rely on to stay on that line but that's our current reality.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
. From my limited and perhaps incorrect understanding the "best" approach for dealing with a situation like this is to shut down everything (i.e. "social distancing") to limit the spread but that's an extremely hard sell as you'll get precious little credit for what doesn't happen because you took strong measures.
I guess that's why Trump is still scheduling rallies. What a guy!!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm not defending Trump. While I realize there's a real need to avoid creating unnecessary panic he's also seemed to be completely out of touch for what those public health experts were telling him. From my limited and perhaps incorrect understanding the "best" approach for dealing with a situation like this is to shut down everything (i.e. "social distancing") to limit the spread but that's an extremely hard sell as you'll get precious little credit for what doesn't happen because you took strong measures. I'll readily admit some amount of apprehension about taking drastic measures after 9/11 since many of them seemed to either be misguided or counterproductive. It's a fine line to walk, and of course Trump is probably the worst person to rely on to stay on that line but that's our current reality.
All that you said is true. One thing I would point out is that other 1st world nations are doing exactly that, shutting down everything. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is run with the pack so you don't get picked off by a lion. It'd be super hard to nitpick Trump's decision making to close up shop when half the first world countries are doing that exact thing.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
All that you said is true. One thing I would point out is that other 1st world nations are doing exactly that, shutting down everything. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is run with the pack so you don't get picked off by a lion. It'd be super hard to nitpick Trump's decision making to close up shop when half the first world countries are doing that exact thing.

My guess is that the U.S. will follow the pattern established after the Boeing 737-Max crashes and wait until there's a critical mass of other countries that made a decision and join then when it no longer becomes tenable to be the outlier since there's no advantage left in doing so.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My guess is that the U.S. will follow the pattern established after the Boeing 737-Max crashes and wait until there's a critical mass of other countries that made a decision and join then when it no longer becomes tenable to be the outlier since there's no advantage left in doing so.
Probably, I mean what's a few more deaths, right? Wouldn't want to be seen as forward-leaning or leading the pack, right?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Probably, I mean what's a few more deaths, right? Wouldn't want to be seen as forward-leaning or leading the pack, right?

Our nation refuses to even tell people not to rebuild their houses in a flood plain even after they've been destroyed multiple times in a couple decades. How well do you think the idea of sequestrating scores of millions in their homes is going to be? How many parents can afford to take time off work to watch their kids when schools close, and how many kids will go without food from those free school lunches? Multiply that times countless other problems and fear and tell me how you'd have been so much more "forward-leaning" and shut everything down so unlike Trump?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Multiply that times countless other problems and fear and tell me how you'd have been so much more "forward-leaning" and shut everything down so unlike Trump?
You're not going to convince me that we can find the funding and manpower to police half the globe, but not get food and water to our own citizens. Not happening.

500B emergency fund, mobilize all national guards, start getting fucking MREs to high risk populations for all I care. This isn't a time to waffle around with 'well, due to our shit economy, some people are too broke to stop working, so we'll just let those ones die'.

Feb 4, 2009

Here is a simple thing, ask why our emergency response budge has been cut so much over the decade or if there are plenty of test kits why aren’t they arriving to where they are needed in a timely fashion or maybe we should talk about how the various treatments and tests costs will be paid for by the sick person and by the hospitals

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
The latest numbers out of Singapore show that it may be losing its grip on the situation. They have been showing exponential growth starting ~March 4th, going from 110 confirmed cases to 187.

Feb 4, 2009
Our nation refuses to even tell people not to rebuild their houses in a flood plain even after they've been destroyed multiple times in a couple decades. How well do you think the idea of sequestrating scores of millions in their homes is going to be? How many parents can afford to take time off work to watch their kids when schools close, and how many kids will go without food from those free school lunches? Multiply that times countless other problems and fear and tell me how you'd have been so much more "forward-leaning" and shut everything down so unlike Trump?

not true, financing such a home will be extraordinarily difficult. Finding insurance that is affordable will be impossible.
Now someone with cash could do it a lot easier but they aren’t going to be people it’s going to be a business that wants to rent the place.