Since when should a review be an educated guess?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
:thumbsdown: to Maxim magazine.

Black Crowes Say Maxim Review a Fraud
Feb. 23, 2008, 12:58 AM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Black Crowes are lashing out at Maxim magazine for reviewing the band's new album ? apparently without actually hearing it first.

The review, published in Maxim's March issue, gives the Crowes' "Warpaint" a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five.

"The writer ? who has not heard the album since advance CDs were not made available ? wrote what appears to be a disparaging assessment anyway, citing, `it hasn't left Chris Robinson and the gang much room for growth,'" said a statement on the band's official Web site.

The band's manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an "educated guess."

"It speaks directly to the lack of the publication's credibility," Angelus said in a statement. "In my opinion, it's a disgrace to the arts, journalism, critics, the publication itself and the public. What's next ? Maxim's concert reviews of shows they never attended, book reviews of books never read and film reviews of films never seen?"

A representative for the magazine would not confirm or deny to The Associated Press whether the writer actually listened to the album. Instead, Maxim released this statement in response: "Maxim will continue to provide our readers with information that is important to them, whether it is about fashion, lifestyle, technology, music, movies and more."

"Warpaint," the band's first album in seven years, is set for release March 4. The blues-rock group, fronted by Chris Robinson, has released only one song from the disc, "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution."

The band's hits include "Hard to Handle" and "She Talks to Angels."
http://music.msn.com/music/art...x?news=302156&GT1=7702

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
It's Maxim! You can't believe everything they say. Or maybe even half... They have pretty pictures though!

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i'd like to give you a review of my sexual encounter with lindsey lohan... it was dy-no-mite!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
What the heck is a Maxim and who the hell are the Black Crowes?

Oh look, another "I shun pop culture" post on Anandtech.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
The best is when videogame ads cite Maxim reviews. Maxim isn't even qualified to review back issues of Maxim.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

Oh look another, "I disparage those who disdain pop culture" post.

(We could go on all night if you'd like)

:p

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
"I don't take kindly to people that don't take kindly to people who disparage people who disdain pop culture."

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: djheater

Oh look another, "I disparage those who disdain pop culture" post.

(We could go on all night if you'd like)

:p

oh look, another defender of those who shun pop culture.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002

they seem to be popping up more and more frequently these days

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
You fucked up the moment you start reading Maxim. Where Maxim is involved, all you're supposed to do is look at the pretty pictures and put it back in the rack.