Since April Obama cuts oil by 21%, boosted GDP $78.4 Billion

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
6-25-2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterco...a-cut-oil-prices-21-boosted-gdp-78-4-billion/

Since April President Obama Cut Oil Prices 21%, Boosted GDP $78.4 Billion

In April, President Obama’s $52 million plan to increase the margin requirements and otherwise tighten the screws on oil speculators — who borrow huge sums to bet on the direction of oil without taking delivery

• Increase by a factor of six Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) surveillance and enforcement staff “to better deter oil market manipulation,”
  • Boost 10-fold to $10 million the civil and criminal penalties against “firms that engage in market manipulation,”
  • Give the CFTC authority to increase the trader margins — the amount of their own capital that traders must set aside for each bet. The administration officials said such authority “could help limit disruptions in energy markets,” according to the Post.

So just how much has President Obama stimulated the economy through his April crackdown on oil speculators?

Gas was $4.05 a gallon for mid-grade back then and this week the price had fallen to $3.49.

That 56 cents a gallon decline would amount to a savings of about $582 a year — assuming 20 gallon tank once a week. But if the AP is right, that same 56 cent a gallon drop would add $78.4 billion to U.S. GDP.

That’s not much for a $15 trillion economy, but it represents a 1,508% return on President Obama’s $52 million investment in two months.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
There certainly will be the usual naysayers to proclaim Obama had nothing to do with the drop.

That's your grand commentary?

Why bother creating the thread?

All you are doing is looking for another flame war.

I'll bite.

Does this mean Bush gets credit for the gasoline prices dropping by a huge percentage back in 2008?

In reality, I'd like to see what the real causes of this price drop are without any politics involved.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Lol it must have nothing to do with the euro crisis and tanking demand and the highest oil supply in the last two decades.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I've yet to see or hear how the implimentation of these policies raised the price of gas or negatively impacted the economy in any way, shape or form. So we have better regulating of the speculators and not a peep from the doom and gloom folks screaming how these policies that "overregulate" the oil industry caused the petrol businesses to disasterously implode. Seems like a win-win to me......so far.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
There certainly will be the usual naysayers to proclaim Obama had nothing to do with the drop.

That's your grand commentary?

Why bother creating the thread?

All you are doing is looking for another flame war.

I'll bite.

Does this mean Bush gets credit for the gasoline prices dropping by a huge percentage back in 2008?

In reality, I'd like to see what the real causes of this price drop are without any politics involved.

Did Bush go after the Speculators like Obama did?

I'm sure that would be a No.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
No, Bush did something that actually worked, he lifted some restrictions on drilling on Federal land.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Lack of sabre rattling in Iran also has an impact

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is so amusing yet pathetic at the same time. Europe in economic crisis, world economic outlook looks bleak, expected demand is down. But Dave somehow attributes this to the reason why oil has dropped in price.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

Let me guess, obama was helping build the oil wells, and developing new technology that helped drive down the price of gas?

I guess obama helped solve with the oil crunch on the late 1970s?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Why did the OP choose to leave these important parts from the same article? So was it the Obama or the market just being the market?

So what&#8217;s happened since April? Oil ended the month at $106 and as of June 22, it had lost 21% of its value &#8212; sitting at $84. I guess I under-estimated the impact of the CME&#8217;s boost in margin requirements for oil speculators.

But there are other factors that could have affected the price of oil. For example, the dollar has strengthened compared to the Euro since the end of April &#8212; rising 6% from $1.33/Euro to $1.25/Euro &#8211; and since oil is traded in dollars, the stronger the dollar, the more oil it can buy.

It&#8217;s entirely possible that supply and demand have something to do with this as well. MarketWatch claims that &#8220;traders are more concerned about plentiful supplies and deteriorating demand expectations.&#8221; And on June 20, the EIA reported a 2.9 million barrel supply increase in the week ended June 15 while Platts analysts expected to see a decline of 600,000 barrels for the week.

Nov 30, 2006
There's been a huge effort underway by US industry the past year to switch from #2 and #6 oil to natural gas. Market driven economics ftw!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Obama is hereby blamed for oil falling, which is due to the economy going down... Obama sank the economy?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Whats next?

Will obama get credit for building the internet, building the interstate highway system, ending the cold war, designing the space shuttle,,,?

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Let me guess, obama was helping build the oil wells, and developing new technology that helped drive down the price of gas?

I guess obama helped solve with the oil crunch on the late 1970s?

Not to mention that oil is global and anything Obama did doesn't impact speculators outside the USA....

SNOOZE.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Obama is hereby blamed for oil falling, which is due to the economy going down... Obama sank the economy?

The economy hasn't gone down though. It's still growing, though growth has slowed a bit. I do find conservatives blaming of Obama for being unable to fix a massive economic crash instantly to be funny. That's like if a man was shot 10 times you get mad at the doctor who saved his life because the man isn't back at work 2 days later, the level of stupidity required to think that way is astounding.

Whats next?

Will obama get credit for building the internet, building the interstate highway system, ending the cold war, designing the space shuttle,,,?

Well conservatives love to post how gas was $1.78 when Obama took office and blame him for high gas prices while ignoring that it was only so low because the stock market had just undergone a massive crash and that even at its highest under Obama it still never reached the high point it did under Bush. This is just the other side of that coin. Except in this case some of Obama's policies may have actually been partially responsible for the easing back of prices.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It is the Bush economy, right?

Wait, it is only the Bush economy when things are bad, but the Obama economy when things are good. My bad, I keep forgetting.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Well conservatives love to post how gas was $1.78 when Obama took office and blame him for high gas prices while ignoring that it was only so low because the stock market had just undergone a massive crash and that even at its highest under Obama it still never reached the high point it did under Bush.

Obama being anti-oil does not help.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The primary reason for oil prices dropping is the crisis in europe raising the spectre of deflation yet again.