Since 2009 - 150,000 new jobs per month - 250,000 people apply for disability each..

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Heard this on NPR yesterday and was amazed (intrigued). We have over 14,000,000 disabled people right now and averaging over 250,000 new applications per month.....which is over 100,000 MORE than the number of net new jobs per month. Not sure if this is a symptom of people just giving up and going onto the government (by any means) because they cannot get decent employment, people just scamming the system, baby boomers really disabled, or what. Sounds like quite a few people who are "disabled". I wonder if they can surf facebook all day long? :hmm:

Also stated that the number is growing far faster than the general population, doubling every 15 years, and that's while job working conditions (physical) are becoming far less demanding than they used to be.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/22/17507...sability-and-the-number-is-growing?ft=1&f=100

Just consider this: Since the economy began its slow, slow recovery in late 2009, we've been averaging about 150,000 new jobs created per month. But in that same period, almost 250,000 people have been applying for disability every month.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I forget the details but I thought they loosened the requirements for disability in the 90's.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you can not a job because of the economy (some feel that is the government fault)
Can not get government support for your family because of who you are
Find another way

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's symptomatic of a marketplace failure in the aftermath of the greatest financial looting spree in history. It's what people need to do to survive with the current dearth of employment.

Job Creators! seem to be more interested in saving & hoarding than investing & risking, which why they want hard money, preferably deflation if they can get it. In a deflationary low demand low liquidity environment, cash is King, and they're the only ones who have it.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The SSDI and the welfare state need to cease once and for all, because it's a disincentive to get a job and because it competes with private charity.

The state has no business existing let alone being a monopoly on welfare.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Im not sure where NPR is getting the 14million number. Maybe they are including SS Disability and Veteran Disability programs.

There are only 10.9million on SSDI(ie: Disability). Of those 2million are derivative claims(spouses/children of disabled).

New enrollees have been going up at a steady pace since the mid 1980s. And number of applications doesn't mean much. What matters is approved applications(ie: enrollees). ANYONE can file a disability application. The overwhelming majority are declined.

You have a small fraction of the US population on disability. Around ~6% of the working age population. And most of them are in fact disabled. Yes they made it easier to get SSDI in 1984. But that was because to many valid claims were getting rejected. The main problem with SSDI is the the process burns a shit ton of money. The vast majority of people that get on disability end up having to go through multiple layers of appeals. There lawyers get a nice big fat check from Uncle Sam on appeals cases. Something like 40-50% of valid claims end up getting rejected initially and have to be appealed. That is way to high and wastes a ton of money.

Last edited:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The state has no business existing

I truly wish we could toss your braindead ass into Somalia so you could see what's it's like to have no government. Get out of your parents basement before pretending you know anything about the real world.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Im not sure where NPR is getting the 14million number. Maybe they are including SS Disability and Veteran Disability programs.

There are only 10.9million on SSDI(ie: Disability). Of those 2million are derivative claims(spouses/children of disabled).

New enrollees have been going up at a steady pace since the mid 1980s. And number of applications doesn't mean much. What matters is approved applications(ie: enrollees). ANYONE can file a disability application. The overwhelming majority are declined.

You have a small fraction of the US population on disability. Around ~6% of the working age population. And most of them are in fact disabled. Yes they made it easier to get SSDI in 1984. But that was because to many valid claims were getting rejected. The main problem with SSDI is the the process burns a shit ton of money. The vast majority of people that get on disability end up having to go through multiple layers of appeals. There lawyers get a nice big fat check from Uncle Sam on appeals cases. Something like 40-50% of valid claims end up getting rejected initially and have to be appealed. That is way to high and wastes a ton of money.

Canada's national rag, Macleans, had on article on the unusually high number of persons on disability in the US. They claim its 1 in 10.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/19/where-work-is-for-suckers-2/

Unfortunately, I cant find any source of where all this data is coming from on the OECD website, so I find this a bit suspect.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
The SSDI and the welfare state need to cease once and for all, because it's a disincentive to get a job and because it competes with private charity.

How would capitalism exist without Government?

Adam Smith never addressed the Commons because a free market isn't structured to address those types of problems.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you can not a job because of the economy (some feel that is the government fault)
Can not get government support for your family because of who you are
Find another way
What way would you propose?

I do not have a solutions for those that are permanently unemployed.

In my post, I was putting myself in the shoes of one that has to pull such a stunt.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Working age population of US is around 241million.

There are only 8.8million working age people on SSDI.

Last edited:

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Every random idiot tries to go my wife to get disability for their obesity or depression or something else stupid like that. She tells them to pound sand.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Every random idiot tries to go my wife to get disability for their obesity or depression or something else stupid like that. She tells them to pound sand.

Please thank your wife for me.

WEBdis0420.345.gif.cms

Graph Source
5.4 Million Join Disability Rolls Under Obama

Uno

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Lots of people who theoretically qualify for disability were working up until the Repub governance induced pump and dump of the housing bubble crashed the economy. Generally speaking, working pays a lot better, but they have bills to pay. The ownership class, the Job Creators!, demand their due, for rent, food, energy, medical care, you name it. They'd charge for air, if they could figure out a way to do it.

Righties firmly believe that unemployment is strictly voluntary, that there are jobs for everybody even when there obviously aren't, when the Job Creators aren't interested in doing that. It's how they can make such lamebrained statements as we see in this thread, and others. They're delusional, because it feels good to be that way, because they choose to reject the truth.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The State obviously doesn't prevent private welfare, so where is it, anyway?

If it were adequate for the purpose, govt never would have become involved. That's reality.

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
Our great-grand parents would look at us, shake their heads and think "what a bunch of f-in pussies".

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Our great-grand parents would look at us, shake their heads and think "what a bunch of f-in pussies".

Our great grandparents knew what to do better than modern Americans, that's for sure. They voted for FDR, swept right wing sycophants out of office all across America.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
See my signature.

Speechless!!!!

3 years of college on tax payers dime = "you know what I am saying" over and over? And the lady did not pay several months of rent?

And Congress/BO want to get more illegal peasants to become legal?

Ahhh, the future of USA. :colbert:

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The State obviously doesn't prevent private welfare, so where is it, anyway? If it were adequate for the purpose, govt never would have become involved. That's reality.
Yes it does prevent private welfare because it taxes people. Also, people are much more likely to have to live in govt housing, use medicaid, food stamps, etc., if it's there. Private welfare isn't as frequent because most people see no point in giving when they're taxed up the ass and when disabled people have the govt to turn to.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
After reading that article, it leads the reader to think there are abuses out the wazzu, and that most of the people on disability shouldn't be on it. What a bunch of horseshit.

Disability is very difficult to obtain, and a person with a real disability generally has to jump through hoops, getting denied 2-3 times before they can get on to disability. They did change the laws with regard to who qualifies, but that was because they had made it so difficult years ago that people who had very visible disabilities like children with down syndrome, or quadrapeligics were not able to get the disability insurance.

By the way, most people who become disabled have paid many years into the disability insurance program through their taxes. Who are any of us to deny a person who becomes disabled the right to the insurance that they paid into?

There are many types of disabilities and not all are visible such as a person with a crutch or wheel chair. There are varying degrees of schizophrenia and bipolar and autism that would make it very difficult for that person to get and maintain a job.

People who suffer from ongoing intractable pain would have a difficult time doing any job when they are having to medicate for the pain. The pain plus the medications make it difficult to concentrate, or affects memory and motor skills.

None of us are in a position to judge. I think this article is so slanted and full of misinformation, or lacking a lot of pertinent information.

There is a yearly review done for people who are on disability.

Many people who are disabled do work. You can work and still gain disability benefits. This is to ensure that if the disability impairs a person to the point of losing a job again, they still have benefits in place.

There is so much this article does not say, it infuriates me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yes it does prevent private welfare because it taxes people. Also, people are much more likely to have to live in govt housing, use medicaid, food stamps, etc., if it's there. Private welfare isn't as frequent because most people see no point in giving when they're taxed up the ass and when disabled people have the govt to turn to.

You are disabled. What do you do?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Those who want to work but cannot work should be supported by society, for you could be in their position.

Those who can work, but are just too lazy should be done away with.