Simple things you didnt find out until much later.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, I was doing the same thing until about 30-40 hours in. I got to level 30-40 before I knew you could deposit your crafting materials and have them stored in your bank. I had been putting them in my own vault and selling off tons that I couldn't fit.

I had no idea you could deposit crafting stuff right from your inventory anywhere to the collections tab till I was in my mid 70's lol.
Oh, I didn't know you could click on the gear icon to deposit all from your inventory till I was 80 for at least a week.

lol is all I can do at myself for that

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You're not.

Angry Birds Star Wars gives you these simple cartoon-images to describe the new feature of the bird.
I rushed thru the first new "power" ... and couldn't fucking figure out how to use it.
I had to re-install the app so I could get that tutorial again ( no starting over, no 're-show me what i need to know about this')

Or watch a youtube vid.......

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I got Ultima 7 in the mid 90s, and I could never figure out how to open a door. The manual said nothing about it, and I couldn't get anything to work. I could only get into doors that npcs opened for me. Suffice it to say, I didn't go very far before I gave up.

I only figured it out earlier this year when I bought it again on GOG. Again I took a while to figure it out, as there aren't any other mechanics that require double-clicking in the game.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Played a few hours of Torchlight and cursing the need to run back to town to sell loot every other dungeon. Then realizing my pets can do it while I play ... OMFG!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Loud music and loud sounds destroy your hearing.

I have tinnitus now. It's loud and it never goes away. Imagine hearing an annoying siren in the distance or a stuck car horn from a car parked out on the street. Constantly. When you wake up, then all day and then as you fall asleep at night. You can't turn it off, you can't yell at anyone to fix the damned thing, and you can't go anywhere to escape it.

Game related? Yeah, probably.

I have this now too. Woke up a few months ago and I had to check all my electronics to make sure it wasn't anything in the room.

For the most part though it doesn't bother me. I only notice it when it is extremely quiet.

Also don't know about you, but the tones vary for me. Sometimes it is louder than other times.

I dunno, one of those things where I feel lucky to have A.D.D.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i played and finished the game... 2 years passed by, i replayed the game. Finished it again cause i wanted to play the sequel and luckily a friend told me this before starting the sequel...

In the Batman games you can throw a batarang to the rope that you use to hang up people from the gargoyles

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Diablo 3 - Elective Mode

Luckily I realized it within 40 hours of gameplay. I always thought screenshots of people's builds were from beta or hacks, because I couldn't mimic them haha.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Playing Torchlight 60+ hours too long. It was only after I stumbled upon a thread here at AT that I learned.......the game has no definitive ending. You can always go to the next dungeon.....infinitely.

kache

Nov 10, 2012
After around 110-120 hours in Guild Wars 2 I found out that you can hit R to autorun, I had been hitting NumLock before finding that out (Numlock seems to be autorun default in most MMO's)

Same thing in Dragon Nest.

I kinda wonder why basically no single player RPG has autorun. There are some who really needed it badly, like Amalur...

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Same thing in Dragon Nest.

I kinda wonder why basically no single player RPG has autorun. There are some who really needed it badly, like Amalur...

Oblivion has autorun, but unfortunately Skyrim does not.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
I had no idea you could deposit crafting stuff right from your inventory anywhere to the collections tab till I was in my mid 70's lol.
Oh, I didn't know you could click on the gear icon to deposit all from your inventory till I was 80 for at least a week.

lol is all I can do at myself for that

this was me too.

also, WoW was the first mmorpg type game i had ever played and it took me over a year of playing before i realized that when i was selling items to the vendors, i didnt need to actually open the buyback tab and drag items to the window. and that there wasn't a limit on the number of things you could put in that window. o_O

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
"Deposit All Collectibles" in GW2, for being so useful it's kind of obscurely hidden.

"Elective Mode" in D3 and "AoE" & "One Click" looting in SWTOR some of my friends had missed.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Autorun is 'C' on Skyrim. I found it accidentally, too.

Well in that case, add Skyrim to the list for me in addition to Ultima 7. 150+ hours on Skyrim, and I didn't know how to autorun. I was trying to figure out how to do it too, since Q was mapped to something different.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!!!

Ok, this is why it pays to read.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Gloves

I learn something new from the Wiki every time I go there. Golden Gloves can be used to loot turrets, which normally you cant do. (Actually I think the Robot Expert perk allows you to loot them after shutdown.)

I used to sell the things cuz I normally dont take Unarmed and when I do its always with the paladin toaster something similar.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
When playing FPS games I used to only play in ways I thought humanly possible. As soon as I saw videos of great players doing unbelievable things I instantly became a better player.

I now actively try and break games when playing. Realism be damned.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
This is one of my biggest gripes with developers. There's a difference between putting game mechanic details in one overlooked place and not including them at all. Learning these things by trial and error is NOT fun and, it does NOT add to the gaming experience.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is one of my biggest gripes with developers. There's a difference between putting game mechanic details in one overlooked place and not including them at all. Learning these things by trial and error is NOT fun and, it does NOT add to the gaming experience.

As an example, Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 have all kinds of hidden nuances. Most of them should be learned by reading web guides.

Much of the junk in FF7 onward is hidden and very difficult to discover. FFX-2 in particular is mostly hidden stuff. And if you miss important things you cant get the good jobs, like Mascot.