Simple Technologies Compact Flash: Any good?

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Just bought a new digital camera (Kodak DC3400) which comes with an 8MB compact flash card. Way too small for high quality pics. I started surfing for a 64MB or 96MB card and came across this Simple Technologies 128MB card at buy.com for $143 after $30 coupon. This price is at least $100 less than other brands like Viking, Scandisk, IBM or Kodak.

I already ordered it as I couldn't pass it up and I want it to arrive before or on the day the camera does. So what's up? Should I return it?

Thanks,

LJ

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Hell no, you got a good deal. Simple is as good a brand name as any of the others. My old-school NEC notebook has a Simple Technologies RAM upgrade card, works dandy for the last 4 years. I also use 2 Simple Tech. SmartMedia memory cards with my AGFA digital camera. No problems after 2 years.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
I have 3 simple Flash Cards and Have never had a Problem with them, good find

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Cool thanks. Funny how no brand is even close to Simple Technologies in terms of price. I think a Kodak 128MB card is around $300.

I sould be able to store lots of pics at the highest resolution on a 128MB card:)

LJ

Topshelf

Feb 11, 2000
Larryjoe, I honestly don't know and have been wondering the same thing. I just bought a Canon Powershot S100 and they too include that tiny 8MB card. Like that's good for anything! I've been scanning the deals and the best thing I found was a Lexar Media 48MB for $90 with a $40 rebate. Do you know the write speed of that Simple Card? You don't want anything less than a 4x(600k) write speed. I'm thinking of cancelling my order since buy.com still hasn't shipped it and looking into the 8x(1.2MB) cards now. I don't know if it will make a huge difference. But I'd rather be on the new side of things. I took about 80 pics at a wedding New's Year Eve with my S100 and a borrowed 4x 48MB SanDisk card. There is definitely a pause during the write portion, it's not a long time, but if I can cut that in half, then I think the extra money will be worth it for the 8x card. I don't know if this even makes sense anymore. Just let me know how it works, ok? :)

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Will do. Wow, I didn't even know that flash media had a write speed. My old camera had internal memory and my only other experience with flash media is with my RIO 500's smartmedia card. I doubt the one I bought is 8X, hopefully at least 4X.

LJ