Simple question, no arguing...

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I know we have gone over the God exists/doesn't exist debate a BILLION times. And I know no ones opinion will change, so why attempt to change it.

I just have a simple question:

Is believing in the theory of evolution (man came from particles of bacteria or something, whatever...) not just as hard to grasp and understand as believing in a God?

If so, then why are people who believe in a higher being often looked down upon as morons, or stupid, by the people who believe in evolution?

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Because the people who believe in evolution have "degrees" and believe through their own "science." Religious people are morons because they don't use "science" to determine their beliefs. Everything must be proved with "science" for the "learned" people to not make fun of you.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Because the people who doubt evolution defy the physical evidence. I have no problem with people who believe in a god, but doubting obvious facts because it doesn't fit in with your narrow view is ludicrous.

Edit: Spelling

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: dtyn
Because the people who believe in evolution have "degrees" and believe through their own "science." Religious people are morons because they don't use "science" to determine their beliefs. Everything must be proved with "science" for the "learned" people to not make fun of you.

You're telling me that people don't have different degree's of belief in a deity? Also science hasn't proven the big bang, it hasn't even come close. And without trying to start a debate... Isn't it true that science has confirmed (or at the very least, not ruled out the possibility) that some events in the Bible have occured?

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Because the people who doubt evolution defy the physical evidence. I have no problem with people who believe in a god, but doubting obvious facts because it doesn't fit in with your narrow view is ludacris.

Please elaborate. What obvious facts are there that believers tend to doubt? I'm only asking cause I'm not aware of any of these obvious facts, and I'd like to learn.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Because the people who doubt evolution defy the physical evidence. I have no problem with people who believe in a god, but doubting obvious facts because it doesn't fit in with your narrow view is ludacris.

Please elaborate. What obvious facts are there that believers tend to doubt? I'm only asking cause I'm not aware of any of these obvious facts, and I'd like to learn.

I would think he's talking about the strict creationists.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It seems to me that these can't be so easily compared as they operate on a somewhat different level. I mean, evolution in general is a scientific theory for which we have proof on a micro level and compelling evidence on a macro level. From my experience with people that I've known that believe it God, it seems more a question of how things got to the point where evolution could begin, how the state of the universe came to be as it is now without some sort of divine purpose and design. Most of the people I've know who believe in God in general except evolution as God's tool, like physics, and don't interpret their respective religious texts as a verbatim non-metaphoric account of the inception of mankind.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: dtyn

You're telling me that people don't have different degree's of belief in a deity? Also science hasn't proven the big bang, it hasn't even come close. And without trying to start a debate... Isn't it true that science has confirmed (or at the very least, not ruled out the possibility) that some events in the Bible have occured?

Eh, actually, the use of quotes was to point out why believing just because of science is stupid. Science is human created, thus imperfect.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Is believing in the theory of evolution (man came from particles of bacteria or something, whatever...) not just as hard to grasp and understand as believing in a God?

If so, then why are people who believe in a higher being often looked down upon as morons, or stupid, by the people who believe in evolution?

Because evolution is science, religion is...religion. It really is that simple.

Mar 22, 2002

Learn how to spell before you criticize something so complex. (Ludicrous)

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
bcoz ppl who believe ONLY in evolution for the most part are snobs

a belief is a belief

they fail to get that part

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak

Yes, I'm referring to those who flat out deny evolution because it doesn't fit with their beliefs. As for evidence, go read any college biology textbook. Evidence for evolution is pervasive. People aren't looked down upon because they believe in a god, they are looked down upon because they deny physical reality.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Feldenak

Yes, I'm referring to those who flat out deny evolution because it doesn't fit with their beliefs. As for evidence, go read any college biology textbook. Evidence for evolution is pervasive. People aren't looked down upon because they believe in a god, they are looked down upon because they deny physical reality.

I see your point. But if I may, for just one second make a point of my own.

Did everyone not think Christopher Columbus was crazy for sailing around the world? They knew the world was flat. He was going to fall of the edge of the Earth. He was denying physical reality.

Now I agree science is alot more advanced now, but then again we are talking about a much more advanced subject. How do we know for sure that some parts of science aren't wrong. After all alot of the things that many people deny aren't proven facts. They are theories, with very little prove. Infact most of them are just the best possibilites we can think of right now.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I see your point. But if I may, for just one second make a point of my own.

Did everyone not think Christopher Columbus was crazy for sailing around the world? They knew the world was flat. He was going to fall of the edge of the Earth. He was denying physical reality.

Now I agree science is alot more advanced now, but then again we are talking about a much more advanced subject. How do we know for sure that some parts of science aren't wrong. After all alot of the things that many people deny aren't proven facts. They are theories, with very little prove. Infact most of them are just the best possibilites we can think of right now.
Well, people then didn't know the world was flat, they believed the world was flat. They had no direct evidence to back up their belief.

The main issue here is dogmatic belief versus scientific investigation and discovery. Nature doesn't give a damn what we believe or not. It just exists. We have to discover how it works and adapt ourselves to that. Denying what is discovered through direct observation or some logical extension of it, is to deny nature works the way it does, simply because we don't like it.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I believe in evolution. I also believe that there may be a creator. The reason most religous people are looked down upon is because they deny science when the evidence is right in front of them instead of saying "oh, so thats how he did it". That is after all what science is- being able to explain how or why something happened. It is foolish for either side to say the others thoughts are silly or wrong when the subject matter is far beyond anyone's grasp. Yes things in the Bible can be proven but they are usually proven through science. The most likely reason for the parting of the sea of reeds was the explosion of the island of Santarini. Oh thats how he did that. The fact is as long as the creator is associated with a book written by humans those believing in a book so easily refuted will be looked down upon by science.