Simple offline games

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Hi,

I have a family member who has 18p-, similar to down's syndrome but slightly higher functioning. I'd say she functions around a 6-10 year old age level.

Does anyone have recommendations for good PC games for the above age range that can be played fully offline? She has a pc but her net access is limited for her/her computer's protection. Non-educational games preferred. She's 32 years old.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Maybe some type of simulation game. Thinking of something like Zoo Tycoon, just build stuff and rebuild it when it gets too complicated or difficult. They might like the animals, building buildings, etc.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
GoG.com games are DRM-free and do not require a network connection. Many are older games that don't require good graphics.

I've never looked at their kid game selection though.

Something else to consider might be a used PS _2_ if the monitor has composite in. There are hundreds of kid games for it to buy cheap used.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Platformers. My 8 year old has played and finished the following:

Trine
Trine 2
Giana Sisters

I'm pretty sure all of those can be purchased and played in offline mode.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
How about some educational games like the old Jumpstart games or a game like the Oregon Trail? Zoombinis and the Treasure Mountain/Cove games are some other games here.

They are easy to get into yet can scale up in difficulty if you want. They are also fun and can help you learn a lot of basic concepts and skills.

If you want some non-educational games, try old adventure games like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle. They are witty and intelligent with no hard failure modes (so the game can't end because you did something wrong), and accessible to most ages. Lucasarts is the market leader here. Sierra Games has similiar games but focuses on more mature themes.

The next category for games would be old console games from the N64/PS1 generation and the even older Super Nintendo generation. There are a lot of good games from these generations and the games were more simpler with more primitive game design.

Lastly, arcade games can be good distractions. I used to love Rampage at the age of 5 and I could play it all day. Not very educational but it is quick addictive fun. Maybe you don't actually want this for your family member.

1. Educational games for kids
2. Adventure games (Lucasarts and Sierra)
3. Emulated old console games
4. Arcade games (emulate them)

Last edited:

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
OpenTTD

It is best to have a net connection to get it set up and download GRFs, but it is still a fun game "out of the box". Game can be simple, or extremely complex and enjoyed either way.