Simple math problems for the math people.

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001
Hey,
I'm working on an Interactive Math Learning CD and I'm actually not sure of some of the problems that are on it. :) (maybe I should be using the CD, not making it)

Can anyone tell me if I'm correct with these:

1. When told to solve for "x", is k = x/2 + y equivilent to 2(k) - 2(y) = x ?

2. When told to solve for "h", is v = lwh equivilent to v/lw = h

3. When told to solve for v, how the heck do you do it in this equation?: r = mv/m + g (mv over m + g, not mv over m, plus g)

4. Is -(5(2) - 6) + 4(2 - 2) = 48?

That's it, I'm sure there are some people here that do math for fun, so if you can help me get this finished it would be great! :D

Thanks,
Justin Sampson

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Unless i'm mistaken, i think the answers are:

4. -4
2. yup
1. yup
3. V = (r(m+g))/(m) or v = (rm + rg)/(m)

-=bmacd=-

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001
Thans guys! :) Could anyone explain how you come up with v = r(m + g)/m in number 3.?

It's been so long since H.S., I can remember being the only one in my class that actually understanded this stuff, everyone else just spent hours checking every differnt combination they could come up with to see if it was right. :)

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: JustinSampson
Thans guys! :) Could anyone explain how you come up with v = r(m + g)/m in number 3.?

It's been so long since H.S., I can remember being the only one in my class that actually understanded this stuff, everyone else just spent hours checking every differnt combination they could come up with to see if it was right. :)

simple algebra my man.

you multiply both sides by (m+g), so you get r(m+g) = mv, then you divide both sides by m, so you get the final equation.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nd
I hope this is a joke.

It's been 15 years since I did this, you'd be amazed how easy it is to forget stuff like this when you never ever use it.
Don't get me wrong -- there's no shame in not knowing something. But, why would someone who has trouble with algebra be making an Interactive Math Learning CD?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Thanks Marty, it's all comming back now. :)

that was a great celine dion song. "It's all coming back to me now"

-=bmacd=-

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

1) multiply both sides by (m + g), this eliminates the (m + g) on the right, leaving you with
r(m + g) = mv

2) divide both sides by m

edit: guess im a bit late... (i'm a slow non-subscriber :) )

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001
I'm just the designer, I'm not actually the one in charge of solving/doing the math problems.

It's actually a school board contracting this out to us and they forgot to give us the answers to some of them, and I'm working overtime by myself to get a little done. :)

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm just the designer, I'm not actually the one in charge of solving/doing the math problems.

It's actually a school board contracting this out to us and they forgot to give us the answers to some of them, and I'm working overtime by myself to get a little done. :)
Ah, okay. Guess it just sounded funny the way I interpreted your initial post.

mk52

Aug 8, 2000
I dont think I could ever forget stuff like this

with all the math I m taking its pretty much engraved into my brain :)

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001
I remember thinking the same thing. Doing question after question, damning that teacher to hell for it. Guess she still didn't do enough. :)