SIMPLE DVD creation software recommendations?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I'd like to get some recommendations for a relative for some terrifyingly simplistic DVD creation software: Put in a file or two, and it'll either burn a disc or an ISO image. I don't need fancy menus or scene transitions. (A Windows Media Center PC would be the proper solution here, but I don't want to put together a college course on how to use such a thing.) Nothing pricey either. I think he's in the <$40 area.

Windows DVD Maker included with Win7 is close, but there are some small problems:
- It can't create ISO images.
- It seems to have a habit of barfing up an error message that it can't create the video, with no further information. It looks like its RAM usage creeps up beyond 4GB and then it shows the error.

Ulead VideoStudio was usable in the past, though its interface was a bit wonky, and it sometimes was crash-prone too. I don't know how it's doing these days, or what it costs.

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I still use DVDFlick for the extremely rare occasion I need it. ImgBurn won't work in this case. It doesn't transcode to MPEG-2. It is simply a burning tool.

I would ask why you want a DVD since most commercial DVD and BD players will support .mp4 playback of h264 streams.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I still use DVDFlick for the extremely rare occasion I need it. ImgBurn won't work in this case. It doesn't transcode to MPEG-2. It is simply a burning tool.

I would ask why you want a DVD since most commercial DVD and BD players will support .mp4 playback of h264 streams.
Background:
Those in question still use:
- VCR to record TV shows
- 27" CRT TV
- Several-years-old DVD player
- No significant desire to attempt to learn a new remote control for a new DVD player or, god help us all, a DVR system.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
DVDShrink to make ISO's and Windows Explorer to burn them.

Having said that, I dont think I've burned a disc in at least two years, and that was an operating system.

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
That looks familiar, and I don't think that is capable of transcoding anything into the MPEG2 format, and the proper file structure, that a conventional DVD player needs.

If you want a conversion program to go to DVD-video, use AVStoDVD. http://www.videohelp.com/software/AVStoDVD

If you need ISO files as output, or you want to burn straight to a disc rather than keeping the copy on the hard drive, you'll need ImgBurn installed as well.

AVStoDVD can make a menu for you if you wish, but the default setting is to make the DVD without menus. Use the HC encoder that comes with the program and set AVStoDVD to use a two pass encode.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
That looks familiar, and I don't think that is capable of transcoding anything into the MPEG2 format, and the proper file structure, that a conventional DVD player needs.
I wasn't really sure exactly what you were asking, thus the qualification to my answer. You're right, ImgBurn doesn't do what your relative apparently wants to do. It doesn't convert, edit or otherwise "manipulate" media files as such. It is a compact, fairly powerful/flexible (but not especially "user-friendly") iso creation and/or CD/DVD burning utility.

Last edited: