similar to zelda on the PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonr23

Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Wag
Psychonauts?

Definitely, not quite as much item collection, but the battles and feel of the game are very similar to Zelda. Fun story, good controls with a gamepad. I just dl'ed this on Steam last week and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
Knights of Xentar, probably 1998-ish console-like anime style rpg
I've played Knights of Xentar and while its a fun game in its own right its NOTHING like any of the Zelda games.
And it was closer to 1994 or 95 when it came out.
I remember that because it was DOS only with no Win95 mode, and it required a single speed CD drive but ran better on a double speed and flawlessly on a quad speed.

There have been a few console clones over the years but if they are too close to the original the company making them tends to get sued.
I recall one game called Vengeance on Talos V (or something like that). It was almost an exact replica of Super Metroid but it was for DOS.
The company that made it got nailed by Nintendo and went out of business.

Thats the problem with some of the classic NES and SNES titles. We have too many memories of good days not to be reclaimed.
Nobody wants to put the effort into making fun, simple games anymore. They're either afraid of lawsuits or that the big blockbuster titles with cutting edge graphics will kill them in the market.

LintMan

Apr 19, 2001
There's an oldish RPG game for the PC called Divine Divinity that is somewhat Zelda-ish and might interest you. The game has a ridiculous name, but it's a pretty good game.

It's a stat-based RPG where you play as a single character (not a group like in, say, Baldur's Gate), with real-time action like Diablo or Zelda (ie: click to swing your sword). But it's much more story/puzzle/exploration driven than the Diablo-type games.

It has a sequel called Beyond Divinity with some enhancements and changes, but it wasn't quite as fun, for me.

LintMan

Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: brandonr23
Originally posted by: Wag
Psychonauts?

Definitely, not quite as much item collection, but the battles and feel of the game are very similar to Zelda. Fun story, good controls with a gamepad. I just dl'ed this on Steam last week and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

I bought Psychonauts on Steam also and really wanted to like it, but it's way, way too much of a console platform-jumping game for my tastes, unfortunately. So I didn't get very far before getting tired of trying to jump my way up the same wall and falling off for the 20th time.

I liked everything else about the game, so it's a bummer. An FPS-like ghost mode cheat would have been the perfect way for me to get past that jumping stuff and still finish the game, but no luck there.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The only two games in this thread that I can agree with are Fable and Zelda.

Originally posted by: LintMan
There's an oldish RPG game for the PC called Divine Divinity that is somewhat Zelda-ish and might interest you. The game has a ridiculous name, but it's a pretty good game.

It's a stat-based RPG where you play as a single character (not a group like in, say, Baldur's Gate), with real-time action like Diablo or Zelda (ie: click to swing your sword). But it's much more story/puzzle/exploration driven than the Diablo-type games.
I noticed that I had this on my 14 in 1 MSI game DVD and was thinking about installing it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Beyond Good and Evil, excellent game and probably the best Zelda "clone" that has come out

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Beyond Good and Evil is Zelda with a different character set and story.
Prince of Persia isn't bad either, but it's more mature super mario than zelda.
Fable is Zeldaish as well.
Oblivion....to an extent.

brandonr23

Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Beyond Good & Evil gets a lot of hype, but it really just didn't do it for me.

It was a great game that was anti climactic and too short. I loved it but felt like it just wasn't enough.