SIMAP leaving BOINC

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Not sure if this was mentioned already as a search didn't turn up anything. Went to change some settings at the SIMAP site (hadn't been there since last year sometime) and found this message from the end of May:
What's new?

SIMAP will leave BOINC by end of 2014 SIMAP is currently moving towards new algorithms for similarity calculations and scoring. After extensive tests and evaluations during the last months it turned out that the best way to continue SIMAP will be to use dedicated local hardware in our institute. SIMAP will therefore use BOINC only to maintain the current SIMAP database until the end of 2014. BOINC clients for the new SIMAP database will not be released and there will be no workunits for SIMAP after 2014. After 10 very successful years of SIMAP within BOINC this decision was not an easy one for us. However, we thank all users for their support in the past and in the upcoming last period until the end of the year.

I guess one less project to run soon. :(

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
On the one hand, it is great they have enough of their own processing power to complete their mission. On the other, it's too bad as it was one of the few projects I participated in.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Interesting ... Sad for us and good for the SIMAP-gang!

On the one hand, it is great they have enough of their own processing power to complete their mission. On the other, it's too bad as it was one of the few projects I participated in.

That's a shame :(, I don't see how their going to match the power of DC though........

It was quite enjoyable to be part of their formative years. I wish them well.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I just noticed two interesting things about SIMAP:

1. I'm just about 63K points shy of 500,000.
2. There's a SIMAP application for ARM.

I'm busy running a PrimeGrid race on most of my computers right now, but my tablet, which can't do PrimeGrid LLR, can do SIMAP. So I'm going to aim to get to 500,000 before the project ends.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
FYI, SIMAP has a new set of work out. This batch, then one more batch, then no more. :(

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Probably. I hope so, anyway. I started late on that last batch, so I should be able to get up a good head of steam this time.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I was hoping to get to the 2.5 million milestone before the project shuts down, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen as I still have a long way to go and there isn't any more work available. :(

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
The server has frequently been claiming there's no work, but there's lots in the queue to be generated apparently. Just load up your local queues to ride out the times when they're tapped out.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The server has frequently been claiming there's no work, but there's lots in the queue to be generated apparently. Just load up your local queues to ride out the times when they're tapped out.

I would if I could, but the rare times when any of my computers actually get any work, they get a handful of work units (if that many) before the server queue is empty again. :(