Question Silly noob question from new 2080TI card owner

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So, it comes with 3 free games, but last time, all I got were codes, no software. How does this work ? Do I now have to pay for some service in addition to the game code to be able to play ? All I have are old games, they came with a CD or DVD, and I loaded the software, and played (I only do single player). Its Anthem, Battlevield V and metro Exodus.

BTW, I got the EVGA XC gaming card for $1209. I wanted the $999 card, but EVGA was OOS, and newegg wanted $1170. So for $40 more, I got 100 more hz. Amazon was even more for the 2 cards I was looking at. What a ripoff, the $999 card is nowhere to be found.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
You request the codes from the evga page, then you use the code in the geforce experience.

Reactions: DooKey

Markfw

May 16, 2002
You request the codes from the evga page, then you use the code in the geforce experience.
Thanks !

That simple ? silly me.... but I have not played any new games since the Command and Conquer days.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It was nice when they just sent ready to use at a vendor code, but guess they wanted to cut down on resellability.

Also, I'm not sure for AMD but I know for nvidia you must do the redemption on a computer with the type of video card that applies to the originating offer.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It was nice when they just sent ready to use at a vendor code, but guess they wanted to cut down on resellability.

Also, I'm not sure for AMD but I know for nvidia you must do the redemption on a computer with the type of video card that applies to the originating offer.
Oh, great. I was going to put the 2080TI on a linux box doing F@H, and let my 1080TI windows box play the game...Mayne not. They are both EVGA though

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Oh, great. I was going to put the 2080TI on a linux box doing F@H, and let my 1080TI windows box play the game...Mayne not. They are both EVGA though
I would have thought you can play the game on whatever machine you like when you've got it, but you can only actually redeem the code in a machine with the correct card in so might have to put the 2080Ti in a windows box for a few minutes.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Just redeem them with the 2080Ti in your windows PC, then put the 1080Ti back in and you should be fine.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I thought that the codes were specifically tied to the serial no. of the card. Otherwise people can just sell them.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I thought that the codes were specifically tied to the serial no. of the card. Otherwise people can just sell them.

You need to have the card they are tied to in the system when you redeem them. But once redeemed, they are just like games on steam/GoG/etc.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I got my game codes today, but not the 2080TI yet, and a 1080TI says "you do not meet the hardware requirements." So I am forced to redeem when I get the new card. Should be Thursday. At least verified that part that you all told me.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
For $1000 or less I would consider buying a good 2080Ti, but they are still too much right now in most place.

Congrats on the new card though! I will have to wait.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
BTW, I got the EVGA XC gaming card for $1209. I wanted the $999 card, but EVGA was OOS, and newegg wanted $1170. So for $40 more, I got 100 more hz. Amazon was even more for the 2 cards I was looking at. What a ripoff, the $999 card is nowhere to be found.

I was originally looking for the $999 card after I saw that EVGA dropped it back to that price after its post-Holidays increase. I ended up settling for the $1149 XC Black and slapped EVGA's HydroCopper block on it. The nice thing is that the HydroCopper supports all of their cards -- with the FTW3 having its own variant -- and uses the original backplate!

At least the one advantage is that the XC models get the 'A' chip variant that has a higher power limit. Now, I haven't really looked up whether that power limit equates to huge differences in OC potential.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I was originally looking for the $999 card after I saw that EVGA dropped it back to that price after its post-Holidays increase. I ended up settling for the $1149 XC Black and slapped EVGA's HydroCopper block on it. The nice thing is that the HydroCopper supports all of their cards -- with the FTW3 having its own variant -- and uses the original backplate!

At least the one advantage is that the XC models get the 'A' chip variant that has a higher power limit. Now, I haven't really looked up whether that power limit equates to huge differences in OC potential.
I got the card today. It runs@79% capacity according to GPUZ under windows, and only does 1.5m ppd. I will be trying linux later. It only runs 66c and runs witht the fans maxed, so linux install will be easy (maybe).

So I activated the game on the computer where it is installed, and scanned for games on this computer with a 1080TI. It does not find it. So the game not only will only install on the card you bought, but only play there as well.

This is why I hate this online game crap, instead of "you buy it, you install it, you play it", on any of your own computers. I don't even care if the CD has to be in thew drive to play, like they did for quite a while.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I got the card today. It runs@79% capacity according to GPUZ under windows, and only does 1.5m ppd. I will be trying linux later. It only runs 66c and runs witht the fans maxed, so linux install will be easy (maybe).

So I activated the game on the computer where it is installed, and scanned for games on this computer with a 1080TI. It does not find it. So the game not only will only install on the card you bought, but only play there as well.

This is why I hate this online game crap, instead of "you buy it, you install it, you play it", on any of your own computers. I don't even care if the CD has to be in thew drive to play, like they did for quite a while.

Mark, is Steam installed and did you use Steam to install the game? If you just activated it then nothing is installed yet. I just activated some AMD games when I bought a RX 570 and they activated on Steam and I'm playing them just fine with my 2080Ti.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark, is Steam installed and did you use Steam to install the game? If you just activated it then nothing is installed yet. I just activated some AMD games when I bought a RX 570 and they activated on Steam and I'm playing them just fine with my 2080Ti.
The game runs fine, I installed Origin, then the game.

Its about the whole way games are installed nowadays. Its crap. IMO

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Once it's activated on a store front, the card shouldn't be an issue.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, the real reason I bought this card was for folding@home. I saw 2.4 million ppd on the F@H database. Well, I have it running under linux, and its only doing 1.5 million ppd, and thats with 1650 boost clock, and 6800 memory.

Its this card: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487402

$1210 and not the slowest 2080ti.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It won't run on any other computer.

To run it on another computer, you would just install origin there, and then tell it to install whichever games you have. The code won't be used again. Once the game is in your library, thats it. Original in NO WAY scans your hardware to see if a particular game can be played once it is already in your library.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Don't know how it is with Nvidia but with AMD when you put in the codes it checks to see if you have the actual hardware in the computer before authorizing download and install. And it's only good for that machine, kind of like it's OEM only. You can't sell the codes and have them work on someone else's machine either, unless they have the exact same hardware that was bought for those codes. I also have the feeling it calls home from time to time to make sure..but not sure of that or if once in the library you are good to go.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Don't know how it is with Nvidia but with AMD when you put in the codes it checks to see if you have the actual hardware in the computer before authorizing download and install. And it's only good for that machine, kind of like it's OEM only. You can't sell the codes and have them work on someone else's machine either, unless they have the exact same hardware that was bought for those codes. I also have the feeling it calls home from time to time to make sure..but not sure of that or if once in the library you are good to go.

He already activated the codes, which he did need to have the RTX card installed to do that.

For AMD codes, once the game is activated, its just like any other steam/origin game.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Its in the library of that computer only. I tried from the 1080ti machine after activating it on the 2080ti machine, and it does not show up !

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Its in the library of that computer only. I tried from the 1080ti machine after activating it on the 2080ti machine, and it does not show up !

As I recall origin only direct shows installed games. Not all the games you own. You have to go and click on view library to shows all the games you own, and then you can click to install them.

Reactions: killster1