Review SiliconPower NVMe... Wow

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So again my never ending quest for the fastest and cheapest / best bang for you buck SSD, has lead me to this guy.

Silicon Power Nvme....

The performance on it is amazing... (ASrock B450 motherboard.)
siliconpower.jpg

Reliability i am not sure of yet.
Amazon is mixed with people camping both sides.

I would assume if a nvme ran that fast, it probably burnt out on the controller end, so i slapped a ramsink over the controller portion of the nVME and its staying fairly cool.

But it is truly an amazing nvme for its price.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Anandtech did a write-up for it back in February where they liked it as well: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1395...a80-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware

I think this was the drive that Billy Tallis recommended for the premium NVMe category, whereas I looked at brands like Samsung and WD being the "premium" NVMe manufacturers, which you paid more for based on their history/quality.

However, looking back I believe he was right since so many of these companies that sell SSDs simply take a reference design, and then slap their name and a warranty length on it. As long as the performance is high, and has good reliability, that might be the premium in SSD world from now on.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not bad.

I made the "mistake" (OK, I don't really know yet), of ordering FIVE "Vaseky" (which appears, from their logo, to be the new name for "V7"? Which used to produce RAM). Anyways, I bought some 128GB NVMe SSDs. Yeah, I know, parallelism and all that. I don't think that they're MLC, either. I'll find out the performance, when I get them.

At least, for budget browser builds, I can check the "NVMe SSD" box on the builds. Hopefully, they are at least faster than a decent SATA6G 2.5" SSD. They're certainly more compact.

I can also use them in my Ematic 13.3" AMD A4-9120e / 4GB / 64GB eMMC laptops from Walmart, they have an M.2 slot with an access panel. The one laptop I opened and am using, fairly successfully, I put a 128GB TeamGroup SATA6G M.2 in, but the BIOS makes reference to NVMe, and the slot is dual-keyed, so I think an NVMe drive may work, although it may be limited to PCI-E x1 speeds. Perhaps I'll test.

(Edit: Regarding the Ematic 13.3" AMD A4-9120e laptops with 4GB / 64GB. I was apparently remembering wrong, the SATA SSD that I put into the first one was dual-keyed, but the slot was not, and I couldn't get the NVMe SSD to fit properly. Even thought the BIOS mentions NVMe. So I put in another one of my TeamGroup 128GB SATA M.2 SSDs. Which somehow, the "Master Password" got set on, from the BIOS, without me setting it. Weird. Don't quite understand that.)

Edit: I think that they were listed as SM2263XT controller-based? Which is TLC and DRAM-less? Yeah, I'm sure performance could be better. But they were barely more than a 128GB 2.5" SATA SSD, so I consider it sort-of a "win".

These are the ones that I purchased. Mine said "Shipped from USA/Newegg". Now they say, "Ships from China". Guess I got lucky.

Vaseky V900 can greatly improve the speed of your laptop or PC while taking up little space thanks to its M.2 2280 form factor. Built with premium Micron/Toshiba TLC Storage Grains and 2263XT controller, it utilizes PCIe 3.0 x4 interface to deliver ultra-fast data transfer speed, with up to 1,322MB/s* read and up to 889MB/s* write. Now you can spend less time waiting and get more things done, as everything from boot-up to program launching becomes incredibly fast.

Vaseky V900 also runs stable. It has passed three tests including EVT (Engineering Verification Test), AVL Component Quality Evaluation and DEAM Characterization Test to give you full peace of mind.

*Speeds vary depending on system configurations.

"Storage Grains", LOL. Anyways, if those specs are true for the 128GB size too, that's actually not too shabby. 1322MB/sec read, and 889MB/sec write. Better than SATA6G at least.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Anandtech did a write-up for it back in February where they liked it as well: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1395...a80-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware

I think this was the drive that Billy Tallis recommended for the premium NVMe category, whereas I looked at brands like Samsung and WD being the "premium" NVMe manufacturers, which you paid more for based on their history/quality.

However, looking back I believe he was right since so many of these companies that sell SSDs simply take a reference design, and then slap their name and a warranty length on it. As long as the performance is high, and has good reliability, that might be the premium in SSD world from now on.

Yup, there's nothing surprising about reference designs performing just as well as the others when Phison and the NAND manufacturer already did all the heavy lifting in the chips itself. Personally I would pay a bit more for a HP/Adata SSD for longer warranty, but this is still a complete steal versus overhyped and overpriced Samsungs.

NobleX13

Apr 7, 2020
Yup, there's nothing surprising about reference designs performing just as well as the others when Phison and the NAND manufacturer already did all the heavy lifting in the chips itself. Personally I would pay a bit more for a HP/Adata SSD for longer warranty, but this is still a complete steal versus overhyped and overpriced Samsungs.
I don't get what Samsung is thinking with their current pricing. The gap between their flagship offerings and the "budget" Phison and even Realtek drives out there is not substantial enough to justify their MSRP. I guess consumer sales must be a small slice of the pie compared to OEM and datacenter SKUs.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I don't get what Samsung is thinking with their current pricing. The gap between their flagship offerings and the "budget" Phison and even Realtek drives out there is not substantial enough to justify their MSRP. I guess consumer sales must be a small slice of the pie compared to OEM and datacenter SKUs.

The short answer is people love paying their due IQ taxes to Samsung's marketing division. Otherwise nobody would be paying higher than MX500 prices for their QVO garbage.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015