Silicon Valley Salary fixing conspiracy going to court in May

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Getting together and blocking wages from rising doesn't sound very 'free' to me.

Don't like the company? Don't work there.

Your position is the equivalent of going to a grocery store and bitching when you see a loaf of bread priced at $5, while completely ignoring the load right next to it that costs $2. No one is forcing you to buy an expensive loaf of bread. No one is forcing engineers to work at Google. The word "Google" under the employment section of a resume is probably worth more than any money the engineers may or may not have lost.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
i cant believe that so many people think this is "the free market at work" and even if these companies were a product of the free market (they arent) i am just disgusted with the notion that the State should price fix.

i dont get how the fuck it is okay for the State to price fix everything (which includes going after the SV companies) when it goes around jailing and bombing the fuck out of innocent people, yet people who create good search engines or create timeless classics that everyone likes (toy story, star wars) can go to jail for doing a lot less price fixing than the State does.

Yes, clearly, the government is holding a gun to Google's and Apple's heads and making them fix prices with onerous regulations. You are God damned retarded.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't like the company? Don't work there.

Your position is the equivalent of going to a grocery store and bitching when you see a loaf of bread priced at $5, while completely ignoring the load right next to it that costs $2. No one is forcing you to buy an expensive loaf of bread. No one is forcing engineers to work at Google. The word "Google" under the employment section of a resume is probably worth more than any money the engineers may or may not have lost.

I couldn't find a loaf for $2. All of the bread CEO's got together and set the price for all loaves at $5.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Whatever. Are you going to make it illegal to make a telephone call? :rolleyes:

Just wanted to know how far you were going to go with this.
Seems like pretty far. But fortunately the law is not what you think it should be.
So Google and the likes are going to have to pay a pretty penny to settle this, because if they let it go to a trial in front of a Silicon Valley jury, the sky is the limit on the damages. If I am on the jury, ten figures is not high enough.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My position on immigration has nothing to do with this thread.

I thought you were all about freedom, especially when it comes to companies hiring employees, any employee and setting their wages, including immigrants. I guess no. Too bad...companies could have saved millions. The displaced engineers can just go work elsewhere if they don't like the competition.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well that sucks. Maybe you should stick to eating rice instead.

Rice CEO's got together and decided that not to import to the US unless they were paid more than the flour. Wouldn't fly so the store CEO's got together and decided that the flour CEO's are right and pulled rice from the shelves.

and you should have seen what the CEO's of seeds, to grow my own garden, got together and agreed on.

:(

Damn, that sure became a slippery slope very quickly.....oops.

Last edited:

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
I thought you were all about freedom, especially when it comes to companies hiring employees, any employee and setting their wages, including immigrants. I guess no. Too bad...companies could have saved millions. The displaced engineers can just go work elsewhere if they don't like the competition.

Uncultured foreigners (especially from Europe) shall not be permitted to live in my Libertopian society.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Rice CEO's got together and decided that not to import to the US unless they were paid more than the flour. Wouldn't fly so the store CEO's got together and decided that the flour CEO's are right and pulled rice from the shelves.

and you should have seen what the CEO's of seeds, to grow my own garden, got together and agreed on.

:(

Damn, that sure became a slippery slope very quickly.....oops.

That's quite an elaborate fantasy. Can you provide an example of something on that scale occurring in the real world? Hard mode: no government sponsored monopolies and/or government supported price floors.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That's quite an elaborate fantasy. Can you provide an example of something on that scale occurring in the real world? Hard mode: no government sponsored monopolies and/or government supported price floors.

Doesn't happen because collusion is illegal, just like it should be. Don't like it, lobby to change it or move somewhere more 'free' that doesn't have it. You don't have to stay here if you don't like it.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hope you're self aware enough to know that BoomerD is right and there really isn't a strong enough word to describe your level of retardation.

I was thinking the same thing earlier and wasn't going to say it but since you brought it up first....

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Doesn't happen because collusion is illegal, just like it should be. Don't like it, lobby to change it or move somewhere more 'free' that doesn't have it. You don't have to stay here if you don't like it.

It doesn't happen because it's illegal? Did you forget to read the article linked in the OP?

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It doesn't happen? Did you forget to read the article linked in the OP?

Was talking about my elaborate example but you may be right and hopefully, the bread, flour and rice CEO's get caught soon, fined heavily and arrested for their illegal activities, just like the CEO's (alive ones) and other executives who participated in the OP should, to the fullest extent of the CURRENT LAW!

Goodnight Schneiderguy...I'm too tired and 5:00am comes quickly. You have your views and we have ours....and fortunately, the law backs ours. Sleep tight....

Last edited:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
It kinda sounds like a union for the companies. I figure the libtards would be for that type of mindset. baahhh-baaahhh

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
It kinda sounds like a union for the companies. I figure the libtards would be for that type of mindset. baahhh-baaahhh

Companies are unions for companies. You know, the whole organizing capital thing.

Many companies in an industry conspiring to suppress wages effectively makes them one large company (from an employee's perspective). At some point there's nowhere else to go and you're stuck working for whatever they think you should make (unless you completely ditch your field and go flip burgers or something).

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Heaven forbid corporations try to make money.

Corporations are people, my friend. If break the law, they should be punished, if they cost someone tens of thousands of dollars in forgone higher wages by collusion, they should be taken to the cleaners for all the ill gotten gains, plus punitive damages.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Heaven forbid corporations try to make money.

By corrupt and illegal practices. Finished your thought there, you should preview before you hit the submit button. It can be a great help in avoiding idiotic posts.