Review Silicon Power P34A80 NVMe review

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1395...a80-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware

Seems like decent performance, but since Newegg is out of stock (and I didn't see it listed at any other retailers) I have no idea of the price. If priced low enough (and if they can make enough), it could be a decent mid-range contender.

One thing I agree with 100% at the end of the article is that manufacturers should provide an easy way to update firmware when one's available. I was shocked to see that Corsair hasn't released any since their Sandforce days, so I guess I am glad the MP510 was out of stock recently, so I ended up buying a different drive. MyDigitalSSD provides one for their BPX PRO, however the downside is the update wipes all data from the drive, so not very useful for people who have their OS installed on the drive. Outside of offering firmware updates when available, all manufacturers should make an update easy like Samsung, Intel, and Crucial do.
It would be nice to see more vendors have infrastructure for delivering firmware updates; Silicon Power's firmware updater is easy to find, though there aren't any updates from the past year. MyDigitalSSD has already delivered the 12.1 update for their E12 drive that originally shipped with 11.0. Corsair seemingly hasn't provided a firmware update for one of their SSDs since they were using SandForce controllers years ago. Other Phison partners are likewise all over the place with their post-sale product maintenance. (It's worth mentioning that it is often possible to use one brand's firmware update tool on another brand's SSD, when both are using reference Phison firmware, but no vendor should put their customers in the position of needing to try this.)

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Very surprising about Corsair's firmware.

I haven't owned a Corsair SSD yet, but I remember reading this blog post:

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/blog/1TB_SSD_Showdown

This is one of the few points where Phison’s S10 controller does stumble, but you’ll notice the Force LE – with its newer firmware – doesn’t take the hit in mixed mode operations that its siblings do. The S10 controller is very powerful, but you’ll want to keep the firmware updated to get the best performance. These numbers are already substantially better than the Neutron XT was when it first launched, and will only improve going forward.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Very surprising about Corsair's firmware.

I haven't owned a Corsair SSD yet, but I remember reading this blog post:

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/blog/1TB_SSD_Showdown

Interesting. Maybe Billy will pop in and clarify this. The way I understand what you quoted from that article is that Corsair shipped their version of the drive with the newer firmware already installed, much like Silicon Power did here with their new drive, but I could be wrong with my interpretation of it.