Silicon Dust attempt at a DVR capable of recording protected content?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I am planning on cutting the cord fully in October and this launches in... August? So perfect timing.

Based upon its current state, I highly doubt that we'll see a launch in August. Note that you can see all of the latest builds right here. It's the normal SiliconDust installer, but in the configuration, there's a DVR tab where you select the recording target (current PC, remote PC, NAS, or none). Note that while you can download it, you cannot use the DVR feature unless they've registered your tuners with the subscription.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
While that device might be capable, I was saying that I thought that if you hook up component cables from a device that has HDCP, that it wouldn't deliver 1080 content, and instead be lower.

I didn't say that there still wouldn't be a HDCP handshake that occurs. There are plenty of HDMI splitters/switches which will strip the HDCP from the other devices and only handshake the "head" device (i.e. the device plugged into HDMI out 1 or similar) and simply copy/mirror the data sent to the head device to secondary devices. It is only when the HDCP fails or detects a device on the banned/revoked list that the signal is degraded to standard def.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Based upon its current state, I highly doubt that we'll see a launch in August. Note that you can see all of the latest builds right here. It's the normal SiliconDust installer, but in the configuration, there's a DVR tab where you select the recording target (current PC, remote PC, NAS, or none). Note that while you can download it, you cannot use the DVR feature unless they've registered your tuners with the subscription.
Looks like they will have to delay...

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=23916#p146064
rmiddle wrote:
The $30 were suppose to be beta tester.

The $30 level was for RC access, not beta access. RC will be one month before public access and had a target date of sometime in September.

Things are making good progress but we are a little behind in our release plan. RC will likely be delayed until sometime in October.

On the plus side we have added FreeNAS, Drobo, and Android support for running the record engine

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Looks like they will have to delay...

Given the speed of releases, I'm not terribly surprised that there has been a delay. I've kept up with the releases, but given the lack of an easy front-end for me, I haven't really done much with it.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I would be surprised to see an RC by the end of the year at this point.

*Kodi only front end
*can't delete recordings from the interface
*can't schedule individual recordings
*no grid EPG

software is alpha as far as im concerned......Like most of you, I am hoping this is the solution to WMC EOL problem and maybe it will be at some point, but its a long ways away.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
From what they've said, their main focus as of late has been on the HDHomeRun VIEW application as it was behind schedule. If I had to guess, that will probably address points 1-3. Although, based upon their recent survey, I think they're debating how to handle the EPG as they asked about how people look at channel line-ups (i.e. do you look 24 hours ahead on a channel) and how they schedule recordings (i.e. do you schedule with a search feature).

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I never used Popcorn Time myself, just watched what was posted about it. But this seems it would run into similar copyright issues down the road to me.

I'm just watching from the sidelines i guess.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I never used Popcorn Time myself, just watched what was posted about it. But this seems it would run into similar copyright issues down the road to me.

I'm just watching from the sidelines i guess.

Uhhh... how could it possibly be compared to Popcorn Time?

Popcorn Time is essentially a video torrent search engine that enables instant viewing and sequential downloading of a selected video torrent.

HDHR DVR is a DVR/PVR application/suite. They have been legal since Tivo. The only aspect is protected content, and to do it, they have to get the rights up front. Before they can record protected content (Copy-Once content), they will have to essentially get permission and pay the right fees.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
New news from SD still just shy of nonexistent, and haven't seen any reliable reports on running WMC on 10 through VM, so thinking since I still have a spare 360 that i'm going to hook it up to the second monitor on my desk and use it as an extender and upgrade that computer to run 10. Only issue I have at the moment is that it's a no speaker display, but looks like I can plug a powered speaker into the 360 a/v output and then connect my headphones to the speakers headphone jack.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Also I finally got around to updating to the latest SD software which replaced the default viewing app to the homerunview one. So far i'd say I like that one better than the previous, but it not being able to display protected content is somewhat of an odd choice (didn't the previous program do that?)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Also I finally got around to updating to the latest SD software which replaced the default viewing app to the homerunview one. So far i'd say I like that one better than the previous, but it not being able to display protected content is somewhat of an odd choice (didn't the previous program do that?)

Wasn't their TV viewer always called HDHomeRun View? I've been using their tuners for about six+ months, and I've always had that program. It's the one with the channel column that opens on the right side. Anyway, it doesn't support protected content.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It was called hdhomerun_quicktv before.
That one couldn't display DRM either.

I also wish they would update the news, IIRC, they should have had a working program by now, but, seems that the DRM stuff is the main issue that hasn't been solved yet.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It was called hdhomerun_quicktv before.
That one couldn't display DRM either.

I also wish they would update the news, IIRC, they should have had a working program by now, but, seems that the DRM stuff is the main issue that hasn't been solved yet.

I tried to get good answers on the hows and whys on their forum back at the beginning, but was essentially told to shove off, it will all be just fine in the end.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

Maybe with Microsoft no longer producing WMC, SD could buy out the IP and integrate it into their product for the DRM handling. Would be a way to be able to release their product fairly quick as long as the integration wasn't too messy.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Maybe with Microsoft no longer producing WMC, SD could buy out the IP and integrate it into their product for the DRM handling. Would be a way to be able to release their product fairly quick as long as the integration wasn't too messy.

Microsoft's DRM solution (PlayReady) is still very much alive and kicking, making hand-over-fist money relatively speaking. Microsoft is more than happy to license PlayReady to anybody, especially for how much a PlayReady license costs. They won't, however, be selling the IP to anybody.

Regarding the lack of news from SiliconDust... keep in mind that this is the same company that was supposed to have shipped the 4-tuner h264 version of the HDHomeRun Prime almost 2 years ago now.

Last edited:

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Microsoft's DRM solution (PlayReady) is still very much alive and kicking, making hand-over-fist money relatively speaking. Microsoft is more than happy to license PlayReady to anybody, especially for how much a PlayReady license costs. They won't, however, be selling the IP to anybody.

Regarding the lack of news from SiliconDust... keep in mind that this is the same company that was supposed to have shipped the 4-tuner h264 version of the HDHomeRun Prime almost 2 years ago now.

Yeah I've been following the threads and put in my two cents over on the SD forums. It's like they don't realize what their customers, who have been using their products for years, want.

Their funding goal was exceeded so I don't know what the problem is. They still will only mention that support for protected cable content is a "goal," never that it will be included.

There doesn't appear to be a big hurry to jump from WMC, but it is more hobbled now with a less serviceable guide. We'll see...maybe we just got lucky and spoiled by a program as comprehensive, connectable, and inexpensive as WMC.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
There doesn't appear to be a big hurry to jump from WMC, but it is more hobbled now with a less serviceable guide. We'll see...maybe we just got lucky and spoiled by a program as comprehensive, connectable, and inexpensive as WMC.

Yup, we did get spoiled. :(

It sucks that WMC has been and, for the foreseeable future, will remain the only software package that will play protected content. Without that, any true cable subscribers will have to ditch the notion of using a PC as a DVR.

I think there are only a few cable MSOs that offer up even their HD premium channels without the copy-once flag. I certainly don't have that luxury with my local media monopoly company.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm assuming most are waiting for the FCC to approve the new software cable card thinking implementation would then be cheaper for them.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'm assuming most are waiting for the FCC to approve the new software cable card thinking implementation would then be cheaper for them.

This has been the state of the market since WMC came on the scene. There has never once been even a hint of some developer taking it on and paying the licensing. Nobody wants to risk the development cost because it is a niche market.

And with CableCARD officially on its deathbed, who knows what comes next. Some of the CableCARD market may dry up, as I don't believe operators technically need to offer them to customers any longer to meet government requirements. If that's not the case, it won't be long until it is.

And with no requirement to officially support CableCARD, any replacement, barring new regulatory guidelines, will not need to be offered in some consumer package that can be used on consumer-owned equipment. It could be kept to rented-equipment only, which means we are all out of luck.

I hope the FCC and the cable lobby group will be amenable and agree upon a decent standard that can be used by folks like us - preferably with a more consumer-friendly DRM standard that nullifies situations like this. But, fat chance of the latter happening.

Last edited:

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Will this project even be ready for release in the next couple of months. I foolishly upgraded my HTPC to Win X thinking that Silly Dust will have something usable and on the market in Sept.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
This has been the state of the market since WMC came on the scene. There has never once been even a hint of some developer taking it on and paying the licensing. Nobody wants to risk the development cost because it is a niche market.

And with CableCARD officially on its deathbed, who knows what comes next. Some of the CableCARD market may dry up, as I don't believe operators technically need to offer them to customers any longer to meet government requirements. If that's not the case, it won't be long until it is.

And with no requirement to officially support CableCARD, any replacement, barring new regulatory guidelines, will not need to be offered in some consumer package that can be used on consumer-owned equipment. It could be kept to rented-equipment only, which means we are all out of luck.

I hope the FCC and the cable lobby group will be amenable and agree upon a decent standard that can be used by folks like us - preferably with a more consumer-friendly DRM standard that nullifies situations like this. But, fat chance of the latter happening.

Understand the comment, but that doels go against what they've publically said about moving on from cable cards.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Understand the comment, but that doels go against what they've publically said about moving on from cable cards.

I may have jumped the gun a bit, as there is a right to suspect the cable lobby from playing nicely with consumer rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_Conditional_Access_System

https://www.fcc.gov/dstac

http://www.fiercecable.com/press-re...s-there-no-need-fcc-tech-mandate-bring-pay-tv

There's a lot of distaste for new mandates coming from the cable lobby groups (the NCTA being the largest - the ACA is right there battling for the little guys: http://www.americancable.org/node/5488).

Of course, they claim they have our interests in their hearts, that they are delivering content to more and more apps and devices and that they're leading the way toward a brighter future, they carry the shining beacon of capitalism and aren't afraid to shoulder that burden.

What they don't say is that of all the ways we can view our content, we can not escape the ads. Is it fair that we wish to avoid ads? Eh, it is what pays for the content the networks produce, but... that's for the other guy to worry about. Most people sit through commercials just fine.

We sure as hell don't have to be among them. Which is why we have DVRs. But not once will the cable lobby ever boast about and introduce new and better ways to access all our paid premium content on consumer DVRs.

What will the new CableCARD replacement, a software-based security package enable for consumer devices? Access to all our paid content on a consumer DVR without the clunky CableCARD interface and Digital Tuning Adapter. We'd still get our VOD and PPV access and all the interactive content the cable company offers to consumers.

Replacements for CableCARD have been promised and investigated and put to committees for years; we were supposed to have something new back before 2008. They discussed AllVid in 2010. Every time, they basically bow to the cable lobby, not implementing anything new, but thankfully not budging much from the current CableCARD standard with consumer protections in mind.
Again, though, I am pretty sure some protections for CableCARD are going out the window. CableCARD adoption is no longer mandated, which means operators do not have to bundle CableCARDs into the devices as a way to separate the security package from the device.
I believe that with that mandate gone, they also do not have to provide a CableCARD rental option, though I may be wrong about that. If so, I haven't heard yet about any operator refusing to rent out new CableCARDs.